Sliding rule

Remove this Banner Ad

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
This rule has bothered me since it was introduced but its actually starting to ruin the game for me. The rule was introduced to prevent someone sliding legs first which may cause a broken leg, which was an overreaction in the first place as we only had 2 broken legs in 100 years of football but now its preventing the player who puts his head over the ball.

Its actually the worst rule in football and its ruining the game! The AFL is too dumb though to remove it. But they can and need to change the interpretation of it because it is becoming silly. Common sense needs to be used when interpreting it.

Last edited:
we only had 2 broken legs in 100 years of football but now its preventing the player who puts his head over the ball.
Fake news. How can you possible prove that. There were two leg breaks in quick succession, that's why it was brought in.

Yes that was a bad interpretation.

In theory it is an excellent rule, not just for safety (as a lot seem to claim) but also for keeping players on their feet and favouring first to the ball.

They just need to get rid of the "contact below the knees" thinking, regardless of position.

It should be about who is first to the ball or not. If you are first to the ball, and going for the ball, then that space is yours, pure and simple. You cannot be pinged for it then. An opponent that takes your legs out from under you can be though.

It's that simple.

Where does it say within the rule that its not a free kick if you get there first? It doesn't.

People need to understand why this rule exists now. Players need to adjust, or they'll keep getting penalised.

As much as it was a knee jerk reaction to an injury, it allowed the AFL to create a rule which would keep players from sliding in on the ground creating contests and ball ups.

It's not going anywhere.

Edit: Eddie just mentioned senior officials are toying with bring in Gaelic rules where the ball can only be picked up if you're standing up.

Last edited:
2 players travelling in the same direction in the wet.

Player who gets to the ball second gets rewarded because in the wet the first bloke will naturally slide longer through no fault of his own.

Zero chance of there being an injury.

On a dry day, coming from opposite angles yes perhaps.

In this circumstance no ******* way.

Its outright cheating by the umpires to get the dogs back into it with no common sense.

Adelaide should be putting in official complaints.

Reward the bloke second to the ball.

******* vicbias again.

2 players travelling in the same direction in the wet.

Player who gets to the ball second gets rewarded because in the wet the first bloke will naturally slide longer through no fault of his own.

Zero chance of there being an injury.

On a dry day, coming from opposite angles yes perhaps.

In this circumstance no ******* way.

Its outright cheating by the umpires to get the dogs back into it with no common sense.

Adelaide should be putting in official complaints.

Reward the bloke second to the ball.

******* vicbias again.

Victorian conspiracy

Talia didn't even try and keep on his feet. If he kept on his feet and there would have been no issue

So he isn't allowed to go for the ball? You tell me how he takes possession in the wet at speed when the ball is on the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he isn't allowed to go for the ball? You tell me how he takes possession in the wet at speed when the ball is on the ground.
He could have gone for the ball without sliding in. I'm 50/50 on whether it should it have been a free but keep your feet and you have no issue

I've been saying this for the past year or so and Eddie just confirmed my worst fears. The AFL want Gaelic Rules....Our game is being hijacked and it may require a public take over....Who are the idiots Eddie is referring too that want to change our game to Gaelic Rules?
IMO Eddie McGuire has a duty as President of Collingwood to expose these traitors to Australian Rules Football and have them removed from any administrative position in any football club in Australia!

No it doesn't. But it should, it makes a lot more sense.

Unfortunately the AFL don't tend to think very hard about wording rules properly.
It doesn't and it won't.

The AFL want players to keep their feet.
They want less contests and scrums on the ground.

Sooner or later AFL coaches will tell their players "Do not go to ground near a contest, because you're at risk of having an opponent draw the free for contact below the knees".

The AFL would be pleased.

This rule has bothered me since it was introduced but its actually starting to ruin the game for me. The rule was introduced to prevent someone sliding legs first which may cause a broken leg, which was an overreaction in the first place as we only had 2 broken legs in 100 years of football but now its preventing the player who puts his head over the ball.

Its actually the worst rule in football and its ruining the game! The AFL is too dumb though to remove it.
Protect the head but the knees are okay.

s**t like that is gunna happen when its wet like tonight. Can everyone keep their panties on.

And i am surprised how many of you are wearing panties rather that the old time white bog catchers.

Man up people.

I've been saying this for the past year or so and Eddie just confirmed my worst fears. The AFL want Gaelic Rules....Our game is being hijacked and it may require a public take over....Who are the idiots Eddie is referring too that want to change our game to Gaelic Rules?
IMO Eddie McGuire has a duty as President of Collingwood to expose these traitors to Australian Rules Football and have them removed from any administrative position in any football club in Australia!

Yeah when he said that I nearly spat out my beer. WTF is the AFL thinking, leave the game alone ffs! haha

What bothered me most about that call is that Talia gets there first and Webb is actually the one who initiates the contact as he runs into Talia yet Talia is penalised for attacking the ball.

You can't go to ground. Its simple. Its clear and its plain. Do not go to ground. Of course Talia deserved to get penalized. You cannot go to ground. FFS.

Of course they want Gaelic rules. The biggest threat to the game is concussion. It makes sense to encourage a different - and safer - style of game. The game of Australian Rules is flawed, so its good the AFL want to try and overhaul it.

Of course they want Gaelic rules. The biggest threat to the game is concussion. It makes sense to encourage a different - and safer - style of game. The game of Australian Rules is flawed, so its good the AFL want to try and overhaul it.

Are you insane? After 121 years since 1897 you want a non contact sport and call it Australian Rules? You should be banned for life from even using the words Australian Rules Football. What is wrong with you? Overhaul what ? Any attempt at that BS and the AFL might find themselves overhauled...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back