Draft Watcher SMYTHE’s 2023 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I
This draft is a lot deeper that people are saying. I think we will see 55 picks + rookies.
I think the depth of top end talent we were all expecting diluted throughout the year, therefore the idea of ‘not a deep draft‘ comes into it, and that is definitely true, but there are a lot of solid role players.
These players are crucial to a teams success, they do their role week in and week out, however their ceiling and growth in other positions may not be high (as they can do the one or two things really wel).
This draft is littered with a huge bunch of these types of players, and in terms of finding gold in the later picks, some of these may exell in other areas at the higher level as their are a few who have come along in leaps and bounds in their growth and development towards the end part of the year and have less exposure than others.

Interesting to see what happens in Port, might be picking a couple at the tail end I think with all the wheeling and dealing they have to do
Yeah I’m not very excited about our moves we have lined up apart from Sweet because he should be on the cheap and we need a ruckman at his age and he has done really well in the VFL and when given the chance. BZT and Esava don’t get me excited at all. None worth moving our FR next year for

Yeah I’m not very excited about our moves we have lined up apart from Sweet because he should be on the cheap and we need a ruckman at his age and he has done really well in the VFL and when given the chance. BZT and Esava don’t get me excited at all. None worth moving our FR next year for

So what you're saying is that the discussions and trade should be a Jordon Sweet affair?

Unfortunately, you don’t have any other option really.

Unfortunately, you don’t have any other option really.
Nah we don't but I don't see them elevating us that much. Esava is just an average version of Aliir
BZT is probably the worst full back that is playing in the AFL.
Sweet I like. Soldo would be handy

This is based on current picks that teams have and who I feel they might be after, hence the difference against my rankings (which are seperate obviously from who I think will get drafted and where) also, it is NOT IN ANY ORDER

Who I think are Round 1 certanties

Harley Ried
Jed Walter
Zane Duursma
Colby McKercher
Dan Curtin
Nick Watson
Ethan Read
Connor O’Sullivan
Ryley Sanders
Ollie Murphy
Harry Demattia
James Leake
Nate Caddy

Sneaky Round 1 chances

Will McCabe
Jordan Croft
Mitch Edwards
Caleb Windsor
Jake Rogers
Tew Jiath
Darcy Wilson

Round 2 likelies

Koltyn Tholstrup
Jack Delean
Riley Hardeman
Joel Freijah
Coen Sanchez
Archie Roberts
Luamon Lual
Will Green
Will Patton
Archer Reid
Charlie Edwards
Zane Zakostelsky

Round 2 chances

Angus Hastie
Logan Morris
Ashton Moir
Logan Evans
Harvey Johnston
Phoenix Gothard
Arie Schoenmaker
George Stevens
Aiden O’Driscoll
Tarkyn O’Leary
Nathan Philactides
Caiden Cleary
Luke Lloyd
Taylor Goad

This is based on current picks that teams have and who I feel they might be after, hence the difference against my rankings (which are seperate obviously from who I think will get drafted and where) also, it is NOT IN ANY ORDER

Who I think are Round 1 certanties

Harley Ried
Jed Walter
Zane Duursma
Colby McKercher
Dan Curtin
Nick Watson
Ethan Read
Connor O’Sullivan
Ryley Sanders
Ollie Murphy
Harry Demattia
James Leake
Nate Caddy

Sneaky Round 1 chances

Will McCabe
Jordan Croft
Mitch Edwards
Caleb Windsor
Jake Rogers
Tew Jiath
Darcy Wilson

Round 2 likelies

Koltyn Tholstrup
Jack Delean
Riley Hardeman
Joel Freijah
Coen Sanchez
Archie Roberts
Luamon Lual
Will Green
Will Patton
Archer Reid
Charlie Edwards
Zane Zakostelsky

Round 2 chances

Angus Hastie
Logan Morris
Ashton Moir
Logan Evans
Harvey Johnston
Phoenix Gothard
Arie Schoenmaker
George Stevens
Aiden O’Driscoll
Tarkyn O’Leary
Nathan Philactides
Caiden Cleary
Luke Lloyd
Taylor Goad
You've done a good job Smythe Cooper Simpson and Clay Hall would be chances for Rnd 2 as well I reckon. But i understand you can't fit everyone into 20 spots. I also think there are probably a few second rounders that could find themselves in Rnd1. Just depends on what the teams needs. Its a pretty even group from 15+.

You've done a good job Smythe Cooper Simpson and Clay Hall would be chances for Rnd 2 as well I reckon. But i understand you can't fit everyone into 20 spots. I also think there are probably a few second rounders that could find themselves in Rnd1. Just depends on what the teams needs. Its a pretty even group from 15+.
Yeah Cooper is a chance, but I think others rallied late in the year to show a bit more. Hall only a chance if it’s what a club needs, I have never really rated his game play and still don’t, but everyone is allowed their opinion, and it doesn’t matter, because he is a chance.

Who do you like for kicking more, Caleb Windsor, Darcy Wilson or Arie Schoenmakers?
To be honest, out of those, Arie has a great kick. The thing is, Darcy has his (mostly) rushed by being in the thick of it and opponents coming at him, Caleb gets a bit more time with his and Arie usually takes a mark and has all the time in the world. Caleb probably has a better action than Darcy, but Arie has a better and longer kick.

Round 2 likelies

Koltyn Tholstrup
Jack Delean
Riley Hardeman
Joel Freijah
Coen Sanchez
Archie Roberts
Luamon Lual
Will Green
Will Patton
Archer Reid
Charlie Edwards
Zane Zakostelsky

Round 2 chances

Angus Hastie
Logan Morris
Ashton Moir
Logan Evans
Harvey Johnston
Phoenix Gothard
Arie Schoenmaker
George Stevens
Aiden O’Driscoll
Tarkyn O’Leary
Nathan Philactides
Caiden Cleary
Luke Lloyd
Taylor Goad
Based on your ratings above and Richmond currently having pick 26 who do you see as best fit for us.

Based off of limited reading the players I like in no particular order:
Koltyn Tholstrup
Lance Collard
Charlie Edwards
George Stevens
Jack Delean
Ashton Moir

Not sure which one of these best suits what I believe we need, which is players who have a bit of size about them, can win their own ball when needed, have a bit of outside speed and are able to use the ball well by foot. As a bonus it would be great to have someone who can also hit the scoreboard when given the chance

Which of these best suits those areas?

Based on your ratings above and Richmond currently having pick 26 who do you see as best fit for us.

Based off of limited reading the players I like in no particular order:
Koltyn Tholstrup
Lance Collard
Charlie Edwards
George Stevens
Jack Delean
Ashton Moir

Not sure which one of these best suits what I believe we need, which is players who have a bit of size about them, can win their own ball when needed, have a bit of outside speed and are able to use the ball well by foot. As a bonus it would be great to have someone who can also hit the scoreboard when given the chance

Which of these best suits those areas?
Out of the list of players you have there, Koltyn Tholstrup is the only one who ticks the boxes you require, with a bit of size/grunt, can win his own ball and hit the scoreboard. Not a full time mid nor a full time fwd, he would play the half forward role well or off half back with stints in the middle over time if it is needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can I get your thoughts on George Stevens?
George is as solid as a rock in terms of his style of play, do I see it translating into the big league…..no I do not.
Will he make it, sure he might, but being the inbetween size and his style of play, I see him being an undersized intercept defender.
Sure he has played other positions in the under 18’s and against ports 2’s earlier this year, but the next level is very different. He is not overly quick and has had previous injury problems.
I loved watching him, and had big hopes for him from the under 16 days prior to the injury and I think his size had more to do with his outcomes this year.
I definitely think he “could“ become a role player, but I’m not so sure. He also, to his credit, has done nothing wrong or nothing to hurt his chances at all, I am more gut feeling/educated guessing about his future at the top level.
Apart from the top 12-15 picks I do see this draft from there on in being loaded with the type of role players every team needs and George could become one.
I see him as draftable from pick 25 onwards.
However I will say, as always, with these kids that I’m not so sure about their ceiling at the next level, I hope for their sakes I’m wrong.

George is as solid as a rock in terms of his style of play, do I see it translating into the big league…..no I do not.
Will he make it, sure he might, but being the inbetween size and his style of play, I see him being an undersized intercept defender.
Sure he has played other positions in the under 18’s and against ports 2’s earlier this year, but the next level is very different. He is not overly quick and has had previous injury problems.
I loved watching him, and had big hopes for him from the under 16 days prior to the injury and I think his size had more to do with his outcomes this year.
I definitely think he “could“ become a role player, but I’m not so sure. He also, to his credit, has done nothing wrong or nothing to hurt his chances at all, I am more gut feeling/educated guessing about his future at the top level.
Apart from the top 12-15 picks I do see this draft from there on in being loaded with the type of role players every team needs and George could become one.
I see him as draftable from pick 25 onwards.
However I will say, as always, with these kids that I’m not so sure about their ceiling at the next level, I hope for their sakes I’m wrong.
Having watched a bit of him as well I tend to agree . Not quick enough off the mark to be a genuine intercept defender at his size and is his midfield work more "man beast" than craft. I suspect if he makes it he will have to transition into more of a defensive midfielder who can use his size to block and be physical at clearance and stoppage. As you say more of a role player.

Sorry, I know this is a draft thread, but would be good to have info on Bailey Van De Houvel?
Limited knowledge of Bailey, but I know he has come from the Ballarat league to Footscray then over to Geelong, is around 200 cm and is a marking interceptor. Rarely tackles, from what I’ve seen due to lack of in game speed. No idea how he tested, but he is, I think, 25 or 26 years old and some have said there are Tom Stewart vibes without the tackling and defensive pressure. More of a 1v1 break off intercept defender. His ball use can be shaky but who knows what he could become in a full time environment. Could see a club with late picks nab him in the national but most likely rookie.

Last edited:
Sorry, I know this is a draft thread, but would be good to have info on Bailey Van De Houvel?
He was playing for Footscray last year. If I recall correctly he had a couple of games where he looked pretty good but then seemed to have a dip in form then might have got injured and then pushed out of the team as AFL listed players came back from injury.
Seemed to be pretty strong in the contest and have a good set of hands but looked a bit clumsy sometimes probably not great agility.

Every man and his dog has my Swans taking James Leake but I have my doubts. Given our pretty settled and young best 22 I'd like to take Archer Reid with our first pick (actually 16?) despite his long development arc, Zane Zakostelsky with our second if we can work it up from 46 (probably actually about 38 after matches) before matching Cleary with our last.
What's your view on that?

Every man and his dog has my Swans taking James Leake but I have my doubts. Given our pretty settled and young best 22 I'd like to take Archer Reid with our first pick (actually 16?) despite his long development arc, Zane Zakostelsky with our second if we can work it up from 46 (probably actually about 38 after matches) before matching Cleary with our last.
What's your view on that?
I’m not sure James will be there at 16 and there is no way, IMO, Zane is there for that second, you would have to definitely trade up. The Archer Reid pick wouldn’t be a bad thing for the swans, maybe trade both for picks in between and a future?? and you may be able to nab both players. You know clubs will come hard for Logan so that will be interesting and may make the swans think hard, they will not have that in mind though when making decisions this draft so in saying all that, with your current picks and the possibility of not being able to trade up into that top 10 those picks wouldnt be to bad for your needs. It would be best available in a position of need for the swans I’m betting with picks in that range due to the evenness of the draft after that pick 16/17 mark.

Smythe can you list the rucks and KPF who would be available for Richmond at 29 & 41 and your order of preference for them.

I see names like:
Taylor Goad
Archer Reid
Mitch Edwards
Will Green
Vigo Visentini

Are there any more names that could be thrown into the mix?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back