Society/Culture Soccer: the putrid game

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeah, that stuff has never happened at an AFL game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=g16aC3nRSsw#t=69s

when it does, it just shows "how passionate melbourne is about football"

if the above clip was at a soccer game, they would not be passing it over as 'passionate fans', but hooligans..

Australian media still has an agenda against soccer... you guys are falling for it

if the above clip was at a soccer game, they would not be passing it over as 'passionate fans', but hooligans..

Australian media still has an agenda against soccer... you guys are falling for it

Well done, you found the only example of AFL fans rioting in 100+ years. Meanwhile it happens every week at the soccer

AFl's a family game, marketed to attract families. Soccer however long ago become owned by males, booze and betting. Throw in some racial tension and international dirty politics, bribery...

We know how that plays out..

I find it funny how a number of Soccer or NFL fans in this country view people who dislike their game as closed-minded, bogans or unworldly. Yet if you went to England or America you'd find that the average fan of these sports is just as big a bogan as the average AFL fan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An even bigger soccer story that's just on the news.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1733604/European-investigators-unveil-scale-of-soccer-matc

THE HAGUE (Reuters) - Investigators from across Europe said on Monday they had identified about 380 football matches that had been fixed across Europe, bringing in about 8 million euros in profits.

Speaking in The Hague, Europol head Rob Wainright said the joint investigation had identified about 425 corrupt officials, players and serious criminals in 15 countries.

Matches fixed included World and European cup qualifying matches and top flight league matches in several European countries. The investigator found that criminals from Asia also participated in the match fixing and that some of the fixed matches took place outside Europe.

Oh? Please enlighten us.

Well over the last 30 years or more I've seen plenty of drunken, violent Collingwood supporters at AFL games.

Everyone knows that already though. Not new news.

AFl's a family game, marketed to attract families. Soccer however long ago become owned by males, booze and betting. Throw in some racial tension and international dirty politics, bribery...

We know how that plays out..

You talk bollocks.

My English football side is very much marketed to families. They have a large children's group called Gullys Gang which is marketed far better and more extensively to young children than say Carlton markets Captain Carlton.

I mean really, any Victorian who's been to a few Crows games over there knows some of the vitriol and actions that come out of Crows fans towards visiting supporters.

Or don't your blinkers allow you to see that?

You may be a bogan mantis.
I enjoy soccer and have watched it for about 15 years and agree.

It is not an 'edge of your seat' sport most of the time. As such the crowd will entertain itself for large portions of the match (similar to a cricket crowd and so on).

I guess when you leave entertainment to the masses then it's only a matter of time until something goes wrong.

I enjoy soccer and have watched it for about 15 years and agree.

It is not an 'edge of your seat' sport most of the time. As such the crowd will entertain itself for large portions of the match (similar to a cricket crowd and so on).

I guess when you leave entertainment to the masses then it's only a matter of time until something goes wrong.

Can we not pretend her comment was anymore than the rubbish, throw-away sweeping statement that it actually was.

Dude, chairs were ripped out and thrown onto the field. How much worse do you think it should get before the media report it as a serious incident?

I still recall the media spending a week talking about the appalling behaviour of the West Coast crowd because they........booed too much. Imagine if seats were ripped up and thrown? It'd still be talked about as the Subiaco riots. Agenda against soccer my arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back