Songs That Sound A Little Too Similar

Remove this Banner Ad

To me, the intro to "Sway" and the intro to the GWS Club Song have always sounded awfully similar.

The first line sounds like Ke$ha's Take It Off.

A mate of mine said that a few weeks ago and now I can't unhear it.

My pet hate with modern music is when they not only sample a classic tune, but lift the entire hook without adding any creative input of their own. No attempt to make something new. Just another generic crappy rap song with a stolen hook.

I admire people who create something new and different with their samples. Not this shite.

The producers of this abortion have at least given Toots Hibbert a co-writing credit (and Toots is probably happy to pocket some extra cash from his old song) but I think it sucks to see great tunes destroyed like this.

Toots should be given full credit as the writer and not one of four names. But I can just imagine how these music industry pirates would've muscled him into accepting peanuts while they get rich.

My pet hate with modern music is when they not only sample a classic tune, but lift the entire hook without adding any creative input of their own. No attempt to make something new. Just another generic crappy rap song with a stolen hook.

I admire people who create something new and different with their samples. Not this shite.

The producers of this abortion have at least given Toots Hibbert a co-writing credit (and Toots is probably happy to pocket some extra cash from his old song) but I think it sucks to see great tunes destroyed like this.

Toots should be given full credit as the writer and not one of four names. But I can just imagine how these music industry pirates would've muscled him into accepting peanuts while they get rich.

Pitbull samples yet another song.

It's as if him and Flo Rida are competing to see who can rack up the most samples.

Pitbull samples yet another song.

It's as if him and Flo Rida are competing to see who can rack up the most samples.
Pitbull is just the puppet. He's the front man who gets the glory and rides everyone's coattails. Or maybe everyone else is riding his poxy coattails... :D

According to Wiki
it was produced by Urales "DJ Buddha" Vargas, TJR and Marc Kinchen. TJR had previously written the song as "Funky Vodka", which caught Pitbull's attention.

This TJR clown repackaged "Funky Kingston" as "Funky Vodka". The track gets played a couple of times at nightclubs, but basically goes nowhere. Team Pitbull think they can exploit it further. DJ Co(c)kehead speeds it up a bit more and muscles his way into some of the action. TJR claims a co-writing credit as his finder's fee. Pitbull spits a few rhymes while his mates hire the strippers for his video. RCA ensure the song gets played on MTV and everyone watches the money roll in.

RCA and Team Pitbull take the gravy, Toots gets a few crumbs and everyone puts their hands in the air like they just don't care.

Don't stop the PAAAAAARTY!!!!

RedmanWasHere is dead right about the Goodrem vs Bush similarities. I think that the similarities are getting worse, but have always been there, like in "Hello, I Love You" by The Doors vs that song by The Kinks with the chorus that goes something like "Girl, I want to be with you" or something like that.
Also, on a more modern note (probably been mentioned before), there was a minor controversy over the similarities between "Raise Your Glass" by Pink and Reece Mastin's debut song.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Chemical Brothers are unabashed fans of The Beatles and Tomorrow Never Knows - they have been known to mix the song into their set. It just shows how far ahead of their time the Beatles were.

I think it's more indicative of how generic music has become since the early 80's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back