Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

When does this thread title get changed to Premiership list building genius Adrian Dodoro?

Is it after we roll GWS by 10 goals this weekend?
It's a good thing I didn't read this post before telling you I wanted you on the podcast because I liked your posting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope the greatness of this legend is being celebrated
Clearly you think we're in the business of winning a few games by small margins against bottom 8 teams early in the season. Most of us here care about winning when it matters but I'm glad this season has been enjoyable for you.

The reality is that we have the worst % of any team in the 8 by a long way, and the teams we have beaten are all outside the 8. It is very unlikely we are a good team.

Every year, we have a solid run of wins (despite being s**t) and every single year, people like yourself are easily convinced and start singing Dodo’s praises prematurely.

Clearly you think we're in the business of winning a few games by small margins against bottom 8 teams early in the season. Most of us here care about winning when it matters but I'm glad this season has been enjoyable for you.

The reality is that we have the worst % of any team in the 8 by a long way, and the teams we have beaten are all outside the 8. It is very unlikely we are a good team.

Every year, we have a solid run of wins (despite being s**t) and every single year, people like yourself are easily convinced and start singing Dodo’s praises prematurely.

I’d assumed that post was intended as a joke

I for one am going to enjoy it while it lasts, and milk every last drop. (Then disappear when things get tough). It is The Way.

I’d assumed that post was intended as a

Hasn't this season been enjoyable for you? How about the fact that this thread and the 2024 draft thread are about 3 or 4 pages in and not at the top of the Essendon board. This thread is now just for shits and giggles. What does that say about our list? What about Sammy Durham? What about the fact that Essendon and the Essendon 34 are going to be exonerated, Jobe will get his brownlow back and wada will be excoriated from sporting history?
What a time to be alive!

Was in the room filming the club song.
Not sure what his role is.
Maybe savouring a moment.

Jet recruiter. Been severely let down by the entire board, football department and coaching staff over the journey. We’ll probably win a final or flag soon and it will be put down to him stepping down from the role rather than the list he created with the cards he was dealt…

When does this thread title get changed to Premiership list building genius Adrian Dodoro?

Is it after we roll GWS by 10 goals this weekend?
It's a good thing I didn't read this post before telling you I wanted you on the podcast because I liked your posting.
It's hard to know what happens next :tearsofjoy:

I'm no Dodoro fan. I feel like he's made a few hero calls along the way, the list has often been unbalanced, and he has never been ahead of where the game is going.

However, I do find it funny that after the last few years of copping it, he will suddenly be sleeping well because the the list is looking pretty handy right now.

Also, sorry I got the margin wrong!

Another dawn that may be false or may be real. Do think list is looking better than recent history*.

Hard not to forget 20 years of failure and unbalanced lists. Dodoro may / may not have the crux in that, but he was a key part of the football department in that time. Very small tick for him after 20 years of not…

*Recent history is a low bar set by Dodoro.

Just filming the top 4 list he built
He is being paid good coin to work in recruiting and is in fanboy mode in the rooms.
I am a grumpy old man but he is everything wrong with our club even with a thimble full of success.
You would never see Stephen wells, kinnear beatson or Simon dalrymple do this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back