Radio Sport on radio: SEN, Triple M, 3AW, ABC, 6PR, 5AA, 4BC, 2UE, RSN

Remove this Banner Ad

He is commentating for channel 7 tonight. He's a very good operator and well done to 7 for signing him up.
Nicholson is better then Roaming💩Taylor,Brayshaw and Darcy combined even after Round 2 I’d have Nicholson slotted in to call all main finals including the Grand Final and maybe even try Jason Bennett with Nicholson as the other 3 mentioned above are useless and I even would have Dwaaaaayne Russell ahead of them.

3AW have announced they will no longer be broadcasting AFL on Thursday nights (beginning tonight)

Denis Walter owns the AFL
3AW is Football*

*Except Thursday nights

3AW have announced they will no longer be broadcasting AFL on Thursday nights (beginning tonight)

Denis Walter owns the AFL

Wow, that's an interesting call. I guess if they do a Thursday then that only leaves three nights for regular programming. All their shows rate so well they can do what they like.

Has anyone called 3AW's pre-game show to criticise their decision to abandon Thursday night footy? Caller would have been screened, but thought maybe someone was able to slip a comment in.

Has anyone called 3AW's pre-game show to criticise their decision to abandon Thursday night footy? Caller would have been screened, but thought maybe someone was able to slip a comment in.
Yeah the first caller last night. Tim Lane was diplomatic but quickly moved on, calling it a "management decision"

Ha, yep, an older guy rang up and said, "no football last night. Dennis Walter was schizen hausen" :cute:

Surely 3AW wouldn't screen calls, not after all the criticism they piled onto the ABC a few weeks ago for asking a pro-Putin supporter to leave the studio for spreading disinformation on air? :rolleyes:

Wow, that's an interesting call. I guess if they do a Thursday then that only leaves three nights for regular programming. All their shows rate so well they can do what they like.

Nothing really to do with programming, just the ad counts. They did the numbers and couldn't justify sacrificing more time to AFL if it meant less "Helloooooooooo...".

I stopped listening to AW footy when they started dropping ads into the call of play last year (had no idea JB Hi-fi played off half-back for the Dees), but won't be shocked if they start throwing to a quick ad after every goal soon, like they did with the cricket after every over.

Nothing really to do with programming, just the ad counts. They did the numbers and couldn't justify sacrificing more time to AFL if it meant less "Helloooooooooo...".

I stopped listening to AW footy when they started dropping ads into the call of play last year (had no idea JB Hi-fi played off half-back for the Dees), but won't be shocked if they start throwing to a quick ad after every goal soon, like they did with the cricket after every over.
Triple M does the same with the cricket along with SEN

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL Radio rights are up at the end of the year? Be interesting to see if there are any changes
Will Don Hyde still cover the 6th game of round between the horse races on 3UZ? I hate it when my teams is on that station.
Which game will 3KZ cover?
Which game will 3AW cover?
Which game will 3LO cover?
Which game will 3DB cover?

Will probably have to wait until Thursday's green guide is available.

Will Don Hyde still cover the 6th game of round between the horse races on 3UZ? I hate it when my teams is on that station.

And 3GL will do the Geelong game with
Ted Whitten and Peter LeGrand.

3aw not calling Thursday night football and going with Dennis Walter's show is a terrible move. It'll be due to lack of ratings, no doubt, but what they lose they make up during the day with the station being so far ahead of every other station I doesn't matter.

I've caught a little bit of Dennis Walter's show, it's a ******* hard listen, he cuts off 99% of everyone, he seems rude and incredibly boring.

There was something a bit special about going "around the grounds" too. Whether it was from "Swan at Princes Park" or "Skeeta at Moorabbin", I'd hang off the score updates every 5 minutes or so. And every now and then "Clelo would have the close one" and he'd do his best to call the last few moments from the cheap seats.

And 3GL will do the Geelong game with
Ted Whitten and Peter LeGrand.
Reception for 3GL was not great for me growing up in Yarra Valley. Could faintly follow it Funny thing, despite the bad reception i can remember it more than whom covered it on 3DB. Maybe they also had races on and barely had footy coverage

Reception for 3GL was not great for me growing up in Yarra Valley. Could faintly follow it Funny thing, despite the bad reception i can remember it more than whom covered it on 3DB. Maybe they also had races on and barely had footy coverage

Yeah, i wouldn't have a clue who was on 3DB. I only remember Peter LeGrand because my first job when i left school, he worked in the building and we'd see him and Bill Stephen in the lunch room.

Reception on 3GL was bad for anyone who wasn’t in Geelong I think. Oh yes, 3DB! Someone would be lining up for goal and you’d get ‘and they’re racing at Manangatang’.

Ok, so you confirm it was horse racing coverage foremost. Makes me wonder why i can remember Don Hyde from 3UZ but draw a blank in relation to 3DB. As a kid it was only way to follow my team in real time. Guess i was lucky that most weeks there was a good 30 to 40 minutes of our game via replay show such as Seven's Big League after 6:30 pm that night or The Winners on the ABC later on.
Such a massive change to now live in footy world where it all spread out over three or so days and radio is not the vital real live connection to my team it was then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back