Streaming Squid Game Discussion Thread - SPOILERS INSIDE

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussie version would just be a 456 person game of foursquare/downball.

My only markup at the end-
When 456 got off the train at Incheon Airport, he saw the guy playing the game across the platform behind glass and then takes the call before getting on the plane.

I feel a better ending would have been to not have the above and have 456 get on the plane, lands in a city like New York (daughter in the US) and see's an American version of a similar game being played on another platform - complete with the slapping and handing over the card.

It would open them up to a "Squid Game International" series franchise and give them significantly greater opportunities for what the next inevitable series could do.

Grat idea!!!! imagine a world cup of squid game!

Aussie version would just be a 456 person game of foursquare/downball.

My only markup at the end-
When 456 got off the train at Incheon Airport, he saw the guy playing the game across the platform behind glass and then takes the call before getting on the plane.

I feel a better ending would have been to not have the above and have 456 get on the plane, lands in a city like New York (daughter in the US) and see's an American version of a similar game being played on another platform - complete with the slapping and handing over the card.

It would open them up to a "Squid Game International" series franchise and give them significantly greater opportunities for what the next inevitable series could do.
I think this was actually hinted at! One of the English speaking VIPs mentioned "the Korean games are always great", suggesting there are others.

I think this was actually hinted at! One of the English speaking VIPs mentioned "the Korean games are always great", suggesting there are others.
Right you are.

My concern is that they try and re-make it as a US version and botch it.

The balls out play for Netflix is to spawn out teams under the Korean producers to make localized versions which can be tied together - think the Marvel universe.

In episode 6, when the players are choosing partners for what would be Marbles, 001 gives 456 his jacket and says "put this on, just in case, people in here might look down on you for missing it" (English dubbed translation) and walks off. Knowing how it all plays out, I'm thinking over that scene and the dialogue and I can't help but wonder if there is some hidden detail there that I am not connecting with.

Right you are.

My concern is that they try and re-make it as a US version and botch it.

The balls out play for Netflix is to spawn out teams under the Korean producers to make localized versions which can be tied together - think the Marvel universe.

Like a new global franchise of It's a Knockout - with consequences!

In Episode 7, the VIPs.
Frontman asks "the host" did he enjoy the games, and then tells "the host" that the VIPs have arrived.

Frontman then greets the VIPs and says the host has some personal business to attend to.

Maybe I'm late to the party,
we get a brief glimpse of the hosts hands, the host is old man, fresh from his exit out of the marble game?
Personal business was making his way to hospital or wherever he were in the final scenes?

In Episode 7, the VIPs.
Frontman asks "the host" did he enjoy the games, and then tells "the host" that the VIPs have arrived.

Frontman then greets the VIPs and says the host has some personal business to attend to.

Maybe I'm late to the party,
we get a brief glimpse of the hosts hands, the host is old man, fresh from his exit out of the marble game?
Personal business was making his way to hospital or wherever he were in the final scenes?

Yes, that was a little mysterious.
The host, as he was later revealed, seemed to have a frail mental capacity. I wonder if they intended the wordplay on 'losing his marbles', which apparently has become the origin of the modern term 'losing it'. But it turned out he was faking his confusion.

The next challenge - the glass bridge, was quite physical. Maybe it was part of the host decision not to participate any longer. But it's not clear why he couldn't greet the VIPs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that was a little mysterious.
The host, as he was later revealed, seemed to have a frail mental capacity. I wonder if they intended the wordplay on 'losing his marbles', which apparently has become the origin of the modern term 'losing it'. But it turned out he was faking his confusion.

The next challenge - the glass bridge, was quite physical. Maybe it was part of the host decision not to participate any longer. But it's not clear why he couldn't greet the VIPs.
perhaps by greeting them it took away any mystique is the old man still in or out?

Watched first two eps.

its a bit meh. Not violent at all. Very little emotion considering what is happening. acting is utterly terrible. Characters are uninteresting and was not convinced it was realistic for them to want to rejoin the game even with their gambling issues. Lacks any sort of intellectual stimulation. It just didnt make sense.

seems to be a dud. does it get dramatically better?

Watched first two eps.

its a bit meh. Not violent at all. Very little emotion considering what is happening. acting is utterly terrible. Characters are uninteresting and was not convinced it was realistic for them to want to rejoin the game even with their gambling issues. Lacks any sort of intellectual stimulation. It just didnt make sense.

I struggled up till the start of episode 4. From there i watched almost of it in a row lol

What's with all these comparisons to Alice In Borderland, just tried watching it and Squid Games is on a whole other level, AIB is Home and Away tier garbage.

Up to the final episode of Alice in Borderland. A notch or two below Squid Game but I’ve enjoyed it. Great production values & acting, and an internal logic that’s quite clever. I assume it’s faithful to the Japanese graphic novel it was based on.

Reminds me a little of The Walking Dead. If you buy into the supernatural premise of the show it’s fun, but like TWD there are some pretty outlandish characters introduced.

Loved the show With subtitles.
I just turned it on dubbed for my wife, as she is Thai and won’t keep up with the subtitles.
Farrkkk! The whole show must have been dubbed by the s**t actors that did the VIP parts. Cringeworthy!!!
Reminds me why I never take the lazy dubbed route. Just bad every time.

Up to the final episode of Alice in Borderland. A notch or two below Squid Game but I’ve enjoyed it. Great production values & acting, and an internal logic that’s quite clever. I assume it’s faithful to the Japanese graphic novel it was based on.

Reminds me a little of The Walking Dead. If you buy into the supernatural premise of the show it’s fun, but like TWD there are some pretty outlandish characters introduced.
Ok that's a pretty fair comparison, I have enjoyed TWD in the past and now that I think about it it's the probably reasonable to say that I share similar frustrations with AIB.
I switched off 2 episodes before the finale due the pacing around mid-way through the season once they get to the swimwear club...felt like like some TWD style filler to save budget by focusing on "character development"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I switched off 2 episodes before the finale

You didn't miss much. The ending was pretty lame, kind of a cliffhanger for another series with no explanation who the dealer/gamemaster is.

Still enjoyed the show as a whole but hate shaggy dog stories with plotlines that aren't resolved (Twin Peaks as one example)

Watched first two eps.

Not all of them had gambling issues..

From other Countries perhaps as they mentioned Korea was the best? Or perhaps there are versions held in different countries

It's a possibility, but I think with how precise some of the writing was, with the reference made to Gi Hun about "you bet on horses, we bet on humans", lends itself to the VIPs just being rich assholes, bored with their money, which is another reference that was made in the series.

It's a possibility, but I think with how precise some of the writing was, with the reference made to Gi Hun about "you bet on horses, we bet on humans", lends itself to the VIPs just being rich assholes, bored with their money, which is another reference that was made in the series.

My line of thinking is that previous winners are obviously loaded and devoid of humanity after the experience..

looking forward to season two

My line of thinking is that previous winners are obviously loaded and devoid of humanity after the experience..

looking forward to season two
I suppose you can think of the Painball players in Madd Addam. Though they are psychos who are celebrities, who wreak havoc if they aren't accompanied by minders in their post-Painball life. And sometimes if they are accompanied. Their indiscretions are covered up by the "government" who make nice money from painball, and do away with incarceration of their worst criminals. Anyway, read the Oryx and Crake trilogy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back