Analysis St.Kilda Mess. A peculiar but addictive dessert. Part Two (Solutions)

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

The history we know but nice spin.

The future - load footy department with ex-Saints talent - Roo, Dal, Joey - that is a recipe for group think and special cordial. Get a couple of bastards in there - Mitchell looks prime material.

Financials - totally agree, financial independence should be the goal. I have long said StKilda has turned its back in one of its biggest assets and potentially greatest benefactors - the Jewish community is a huge supporter base. Embrace it.

Recruitment. Yes invest heavily. Even Richo would have done better if our recruiters got 25% of their decisions right.

The womens league. This is part if the AFLs strategy to launch its own media. They need content and to broaden demographic, Saints need to play but as you suggest should be a balance
This one puzzles me, Ricmel. After my divorce, I got into a long and committed relationship with a Jewish girl
. Her dad was a well to do artist, who sold some paintings and gave the proceeds to the saints when we were down and out in the 90's. Didn't receive even a thank you, which I found bizarre. Like Lindsay Fox, he defected to Carlton, where many of his Jewish friends did business and made donations.

The saints, or so I thought, had a lot of support within the Jewish community. Even Ajax, the Jewish football club wears our colours. We need a closer alignment with them. The expertise and funds are considerable. A bit like getting the Xavier boys in. Network, network, network. I didn't marry the girl in the end, but perhaps I should have. Cracking girl who looked like Kirsty Alley (pre weight gain). The parents and siblings were crackers as well. Max still barracks for the saints, but gives a lot of his money to Carlton. Go figure.

Great post.

My 20c worth on two topics mentioned:

1. Sandy alignment - Sandy can not survive with out money from the Saints. Sandy has in the 10's of paying members and an issue with their demographic. The Saints control all things football at Sandy, including no cap on Saints listed players in the Team. The Saints should take control of the Sandringham Board like Hawthorn did at Box Hill (the Sandy Board is dysfunctional at best, though there appears to be significant improvement re; new CEO and President). Saints taking over the Board if for no other reason than to secure TBBO and the facilities. The ground is gated so entry can be charged and with a little work the function centre could make significant returns. Great to have two ovals for the possibly four Teams plus academy/dragons/smjfl. Saints should also 'manage' Frankston VFL.

2. Girls footy - it is happening at a huge pace. Saints must be involved heavily. There are possibly enormous benefits to this, the focus is not mutually exclusive and requires strong management to be maintained.

The prosecution rests. Thankfully.[/QUOTE]

The Saints, or so I thought, had a lot of support within the Jewish community. Even Ajax, the Jewish football club wears our colours. We need a closer alignment with them. The expertise and funds are considerable. A bit like getting the Xavier boys in. Network, network, network..

Through my wife I have a lot of involvement with the Jewish community and still St Kilda would be the by some margin the most heavily supported AFL club in that community. The club just doesn't seem to try and engage with that community and develop the support they have.

I'm ex-Xav and know a lot of the Xavier mafia. I've also had some commercial dealings with the AFL in the past. I'd say a couple of things - the AFL is heavily populated by ex-AFL footballers often whose main qualification for their roles is that they are ex-AFL footballers. The talent pool does not go that deep and as a commercial entity it is an organisation that has been easily commandeered by a few very smart people and they have brought in either directly or indirectly a lot of their not as smart mates. Great for networking but maybe not as favored when they are in club land where a very different dynamic exists and they become subject to AFL impartiality. Some have thrived there, some have not.

I agree with looking back to Watts but I would be wary of bringing in a "group" in numbers - ex Xavs/ ex Saints players etc - because I think the danger there is they start to have very fixed and unchallenged ideas about how to build a successful club. I think a few key people from those cliques would be great to get in - Reiwoldt in footy department, Dan Richardson if you could get him, Luke Ball on board - but I'd be happier with diversity.

A couple of real hard/focused bastards as Head of Footy and Coach. Some proven marketing professionals to engage with lost audiences and build a theme for success, a mix of footy brains and commercial brains on the board and invest in recruitment and player development. I think to your point, there is a lot of dead wood at the club that needs to be turned over.

good Read Drake, love to hear a bit more about the club in the time you were there.

onto your plan

its pretty involved and relies on getting the right people in the right places at the right time

who are the right people?

Board 1st
CEO
Head of Football
Senior Coach etc...

Jim Watts - President

Satan Lethlean - CEO

Head of football - Nick Riewoldt (his new career, al a Harley, Balme etc.)

Senior Coach - Brett Ratten

Asst. - Mitchell, Hayes, Newman, Caracella, Playfair.

Head of development - Matthew Egan

Academy - Nick Dal Santo.

Board - president - Bassett (entrepreneur) and his brother, GT, Joey, Eric Bana, Shane Warne, Michael Klim, Fergus Watts, Chaim Gutnick, Matthew Guy (only if he becomes Premier), Michael Gudinski, Simon Whelan (lawyer, QC, now Supreme Court Judge.) Mordechai Bromberg. Legal fees covered.

Patrons - Peter Hitchener, Molly, Tracey Grimshaw (all gay so that satisfies the pride aspect), Francis Leach, Ross Wilson, Paul Stewart (TISM), Sandy Roberts.

International patrons.- Elle McPherson, Robbie Williams, Kei Nishikori, Alicia Molik, Geoff Ogilvy, Sammiel L. Jackson, Elton John.

Get them all.

We do
Great post.

1. Sandy alignment - Sandy can not survive with out money from the Saints. Sandy has in the 10's of paying members and an issue with their demographic. The Saints control all things football at Sandy, including no cap on Saints listed players in the Team. The Saints should take control of the Sandringham Board like Hawthorn did at Box Hill (the Sandy Board is dysfunctional at best, though there appears to be significant improvement re; new CEO and President). Saints taking over the Board if for no other reason than to secure TBBO and the facilities. The ground is gated so entry can be charged and with a little work the function centre could make significant returns. Great to have two ovals for the possibly four Teams plus academy/dragons/smjfl. Saints should also 'manage' Frankston VFL.

2. Girls footy - it is happening at a huge pace. Saints must be involved heavily. There are possibly enormous benefits to this, the focus is not mutually exclusive and requires strong management to be maintained.

The prosecution rests. Thankfully.
[/QUOTE]
We do need a women's team, if only to keep pace with the other teams. Women's football will be big when the AFL starts running it properly. The initial offering is appalling. The standard is unwatchable. Once the novelty wears off, we see what we are left with.

The AFL should've held back, given the women two years to recruit, develop and get preseasons into the players. For goodness sakes, we had women coming into a supposedly elite competition without ever having played the game. No wonder no one"s watching now. It takes several seasons to turn a basketballer, track athlete or hockey player into an AFL player. Erin Phillips winning the B &F shows what a joke it is. Went straight back to the basketball after winning our highest honour. At least the PC crowd was happy.

As for Sandy, we need to sort that mess out, stat. It's not doing either side any good, especially not us in terms of development. What about Lewie playing at Frankston? Comes in and does well. Hidden in the backwaters and would've been delisted if Hickey and liaBillyty weren't injured. A classic example of what is wrong with the so called alignment.

Jim Watts - President

Satan Lethlean - CEO

Board - president - Bassett (entrepreneur) and his brother, GT, Joey, Eric Bana, Shane Warne, Michael Klim, Fergus Watts, Chaim Gutnick, Matthew Guy (only if he becomes Premier), Michael Gudinski, Simon Whelan (lawyer, QC, now Supreme Court Judge.) Mordechai Bromberg. Legal fees covered.

Patrons - Peter Hitchener, Molly, Tracey Grimshaw (all gay so that satisfies the pride aspect), Francis Leach, Ross Wilson, Paul Stewart (TISM), Sandy Roberts.

International patrons.- Elle McPherson, Robbie Williams, Kei Nishikori, Alicia Molik, Geoff Ogilvy, Sammiel L. Jackson, Elton John.

Get them all.
If slimey Guy gets any where near our board, that will do me in- rather see a blow up doll take that seat.

Last edited:
Jim Watts - President

Satan Lethlean - CEO

I think this is really well thought out. If the only way to get Mitchell was as head coach, I really think he would be worth the punt. I think a Roo/Mitchell ticket in the footy department - whilst inexperienced - could be one of those genius pairings that goes on the become legendary. They would have 2 or 3 years to learn on the job.

Like the board but maybe a bit too much to have Joey, Bana, Warne, Klim on same board. I'd probably ditch Klim and Bana - make them patrons.

The AFL should've held back, given the women two years to recruit, develop and get preseasons into the players. For goodness sakes, we had women coming into a supposedly elite competition without ever having played the game.

The AFL wants to cut out the middlemen in the media and they want to be ready from 2022. AFLW and AFLX is part of building content. Make no mistake, the AFL is expecting to be a broadcaster dealing directly with advertisers from 2022.

Great post.

[/QUOTE]
Disgraceful post and attitude. It's an appalling thing that our board and decisions have slaughted 2 clubs. I loathe the f*ck Sandy attitude that permeates at times on this board.

Making Sandy great again should be paramount in our run at survival. Winning culture is winning culture. We sit in the stands bemoaning shots on goal whilst Sandy runs around with excess ruckman and jets getting pine time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well forumites, here is the second part of the recipe for turning St.Kilda Mess, into St.Kilda Delight. There is hope, and GT's assertion we won't win a flag for decades is just plain wrong. We can, and if we plan and execute properly, we will. I have a distinct advantage here in writing about the place, as I had a ringside seat to the greatest show on earth for 14 years, that is the three ringed circus that has always been the saints. I want to state that my part in all of this was very much on a part time basis. I wormed my way in and like any good parasite, I clung on for dear life until RL got the flick. I had the honour of observing five saints' coaches, albeit from a distance and on very brief bases. Hang in with me as I give you the rundown.

I pushed my way in as the first proponent of psychological testing for the draft camp in 1997. I thought the saints might grab an advantage over the rest, but Phil Anstey told that campaigner Ian Collins and it was decided to test the lot, not just the ones JB and the saints wanted. Strike one.We did that with a rather blunt tool called the TAIS (Test of Attentional and Interpersonal Style). I had developed one that could have been delivered on line that tested for the constructs of integrity, but they didn't want to take a chance on a complete unknown like me. Fair enough too. The TAIS was used to select the America's Cup crew, with some success, it must be said.

Anyhoo, I did testing for Phil until he got the arse, for reasons that were probably linked to the failure of his son Jake becoming an AFL star. Then came Timid. All was good until the Hawthorn fiasco of 1999. We were second, thrashing the Hawks at Waverley and were described by Mark Williams (then PA coach) as the best team in the comp. Gave up a record breaking lead and it all fell apart. Beaten by the filth (that year's wooden spooners) after leading by four goals at half time the week after and you know the rest.

Timid called me in for an emergency meeting with his assistants and the head of HR (Why was someone from Human Remains there?) The meeting went around in circles until I asked who'd taken responsibility. Blank faces all round. They'd been to a beer and BBQ session in the bush that resolved nothing except certain players couldn't hold their piss. One of those had the initials of Peter Everitt, who I must say was one of the biggest, if not biggest, corkheads I've ever met in football. Could play a bit thopugh.

No one took responsibility, except for Timid who made an oblique reference to being the coach so maybe he should've.His assistants all approached me after the meeting and complained bitterly about Timid and his lack of faith in them. The only one who didn't was a quiet little fellow called Alistair Clakson. Yes folks, we had him in the inner circle and let him go. PM me for the deails of the others as I don[t want to slander or libel anyone.

Timid's favourite habit and the one that drove his assistants mad, was that he would always seek advice from Pagan, and failing that, Sheedy. I believe Pagan and Timid became close when Pagan coached Essendon reserves. One day, the Human Remains manager, Phil Anstey, took me into a player's meeting. There was Timid out the front, three whiteboards full of info and squiggles, spruiking to a glazed eyed audience. Phil said, "You and I are tertiary educated men. Do you understand this? I said, "No."
"Well how do you expect 18 year olds to get it?" He was gone soon enough.

I won't comment too much on Blighty, except the HR manager during his tenure and I are writing a book of Blighty stories, pending the go ahead from our lawyers. What a corkhead. Lazy, uncommitted and a waste of money. Allegedly! Hated the club. I make this reference which i will come back to later.

Then came GT and Rod Butttterrrssss. The only time since Allan Jeans' empire that this club had any pride or caused fear and distaste in our opposition. There are a lot of things you can say about GT and RB, but they genuinely loved the club. GT wasn't always a big fan of mine, but when he found my report about why we shouldn't have drafted Caydn Beetham, behind a filing cabinet, he listened to me much more. HE had a genuine love of the club as did RB. No coincidence that this is the one era where we recovered and threatened all and sundry. Genuine passion coupled with expertise. Jim Watts and Brian Waldron were good CEOs in this period as well. JW being mentioned again. Coincidence? I think not.

RL I can't comment on too much. We had little contact, but the senior players loved him. The juniors and fringe players, not so much. The exact opposite of GT, who had all the youngsters on side, but couldn't really win over the seniors. So saints!

That brought in the super ego Watters, the self promoter, Pelchen (modern version of P.T. Barnum) and the good guy with no skill or discernable competence, TFWF. Another saints' perfect storm for failure.

Having tried to qualify myself and the previous post of our "history haunting us", here goes the point by point plan for improvement.

1. I don't want to go along with the usual suggestions of how to fix our problems. Thankyou for sticking this long. Here it comes.

2. Sack Richo, Sexton and Kingsley. If you havent made improvements and taken the club and its list backwards, you have to go. Sexton, who never played at the highest level, has been there 11 years, hiding in the shadows, like an incompetent public servant waiting to be uncovered. How he's lasted this long is a testament to his resilience and ability to avoid resposibility. Appalling failure. Kingsley, if he's as good as Kingy says, should get a senior job elsewhere. 8 years of failure is enough. Kingy's endorsement is not helpful. Did I mention we should sack Richo?

3. Our dependence on AFL HQ, or the Death Star is another major concern. As long as Gillon is the puppeteer, we will continue to struggle. We are like medieval serfs, trying to make a living under impossible circumstances, forever paying our masters a never ending debt. They tell us to jump, we say, "how would you like us to jump?" Gillon's punch to the guts on the eve of the season about our debt, was a true indication of how they see us. Sometimes I'm sure they want to be rid of us. This has to change. As long as we take orders from the Death Star, we are in their thrall and control. We need autonomy more than anything else. They use our debt to hold us within their grasp and prevent us from standing alone. Where are our generous benefactors?

4. Where are our investments that are independent of football revenue? Have we invested in profit making areas, or are we trapped in an endless cycle of the AFL model of profit/loss and focus on debt? Shares, Property, Start ups? etc. Are we doing anything in this field apart from pokies? Do we have experts consulting to us in this area? If the club can alleviate our debt burden, could it make profits from non traditional sources? If we become debt free, we will be able to call the tune, rather than the AFL doing it for us.

5. The VFL team. What a disgrace that P.C. FINNIS chose a women's team, above establishing a stand alone VFL team that would have assisted our player development. On the back of the laughable decision to appoint Peta Searle as one of our development coaches ahead of dozens of more qualified male candidates, we've seen the results of our lack of development. At least we look PC, inclusive and non-mysoginistic. Meanwhile, other clubs overtake us and laugh. The women's team won't get going until 2020. Meanwhile, a proud VFL team whithers on the vine, and our second tier players remain exactly that. End the alignment now. It is killing two clubs. Look at our results. We've failed to beat a single AFL aligned team. The Sandringham players and club members are annoyed. Cut our losses. Another dud move.

6. Let's become leaders, not followers. When I heard Summers and Finnis headed down the Geelong Road to get advice from Costa and Wells, I nearly choked on my Weeties. What a couple of clowns. I'm sure Costa and Co. gleefully advised them about things they've done, not about what they were going to do in the future. Always playing catch up, saints. Not since GT have we ever been innovators. Costa and Co. had already shat and moved on from where Summers and Finnis hadn't even had a sniff. Always copying. A recipe for failure. And so it has proved.

7. Bring back the passion. Timid told me he didn't want saints' people on his staff because they were too "emotional". Try telling Benny Gale that. He cared about the tigers. It showed. When did we look dangerous? Under GT and RB. I know RTB did a great job, but his players were outstanding saints people. Riewoldt, Gehrig, Hamill, DalSanto, MIlne, Kosi, Hayes et al. Players and staff who were dedicated to the saints' cause. Time to get the Board of the same flavour. Jim Watts, the best CEO we've had in living memory, a true saints' man. GT, RTB, Lenny, Roo and Joey. Get them back. Dal to overhaul our academy and player development. They have a vested, emotional attachment to the cause. Overseen by a neutral like Satan Lethlean and we're on our way.

8. Recruiting. Let's get ahead, not be followers like Pelchen and TFWF. Make the work experience kid, Liberatore, show us what he knows about the future of recruiting, not the present. Does he know what the "Little numbers Genome test" is and how recruiters overseas are using it? Is he across the latest predictors of psychological strength and how it is measured? I bet not. Interview techniques to uncover deception? I doubt it. He was the work experience kid TFWF employed so as not to embarrass himself. A kid guided by the worst. Another recipe for disaster. The incompetent leading the uneducated. Go saints. Let's get Kinnear Beatson, Lloyd or Dalrymple. Get serious saints. Don't take the one you can afford (Richo) rather than the one you need. A proper network of interstte and suburban professional scouts might help. The swines, cats , dorks and interstate clubs seem to do ok using this model.

9. The development program. Bring back Roo and Joey. Get Dal on as a consultant feeding Academy types into the greast men's care. Why is our development so poor? Because it is non -existent. No structure, no pathway and lack of quality mentors. No wonder we're shyte.

10. The Board. Committed Saints only thanks. We've always had a Messiah Complex. The one who will save us. sheldon, Alves, Watson, Blight, Lyon, Watters and the MBK. I left GT out as an exception. I worked with him and I believe he was the best thing for the club. He had his failings, but a bit of luck with injury and he would've saluted. What will work is bringing together committed saints from our best periods, who are determined to bring us back (Benny Gale anyone again ?). We have enough of recently successful individuals to make it work. Riewoldt, Dal, Joey, Dempster, Wakelin etc. where expertise meets passion. You know it makes sense.

You've convinced me. I'll vote for you. Make it so.

Sexton seems like a nice fella and probably does know a bit about tactics, but how has he stayed with us so long without any apparent upswing in results? It's not like he had a glittering playing career, or any association with success? How did he quality for such an established role? He really has run his race: we need new ideas in.

Btw, if you're sending out PMs, please include me. Discretion assured.

Last edited:
while we are at it why not sign Dusty, Buddy, Kelly, Fyfe, Rance, Gawn and Dangerfield....

your passionate post was certainly inspiring but we live in reality half the things you want done would require people to want to come to us .. how do you propose doing that ?

also for the 1 billionth time the AFLW team has never been at the expense on us getting a VFL team ... stop trying to make that link because all you come across as is a bitter old dude who things the girls shouldnt be playing footy ... the AFLW team is being floated by the AFL because the AFL want the AFLW to grow and be successful our input into the AFLW team is not a huge deal certainly not even close to the point where it ruled out the VFL team ... the two stumbling blocks as to why we wont have a stand alone VFL team are not related to the AFLW team they are :
1. The VFL dont want another team
2. The cost/return prospect of a VFL team wasnt viable

Through my wife I have a lot of involvement with the Jewish community and still St Kilda would be the by some margin the most heavily supported AFL club in that community. The club just doesn't seem to try and engage with that community and develop the support they have.

I'm ex-Xav and know a lot of the Xavier mafia. I've also had some commercial dealings with the AFL in the past. I'd say a couple of things - the AFL is heavily populated by ex-AFL footballers often whose main qualification for their roles is that they are ex-AFL footballers. The talent pool does not go that deep and as a commercial entity it is an organisation that has been easily commandeered by a few very smart people and they have brought in either directly or indirectly a lot of their not as smart mates. Great for networking but maybe not as favored when they are in club land where a very different dynamic exists and they become subject to AFL impartiality. Some have thrived there, some have not.

I agree with looking back to Watts but I would be wary of bringing in a "group" in numbers - ex Xavs/ ex Saints players etc - because I think the danger there is they start to have very fixed and unchallenged ideas about how to build a successful club. I think a few key people from those cliques would be great to get in - Reiwoldt in footy department, Dan Richardson if you could get him, Luke Ball on board - but I'd be happier with diversity.

A couple of real hard/focused bastards as Head of Footy and Coach. Some proven marketing professionals to engage with lost audiences and build a theme for success, a mix of footy brains and commercial brains on the board and invest in recruitment and player development. I think to your point, there is a lot of dead wood at the club that needs to be turned over.
Very interesting post.

Jim Watts - President

Satan Lethlean - CEO

Get them all.
I think this is really well thought out. If the only way to get Mitchell was as head coach, I really think he would be worth the punt. I think a Roo/Mitchell ticket in the footy department - whilst inexperienced - could be one of those genius pairings that goes on the become legendary. They would have 2 or 3 years to learn on the job.

Like the board but maybe a bit too much to have Joey, Bana, Warne, Klim on same board. I'd probably ditch Klim and Bana - make them patrons.

Unfortunately, Roo has said that he isn't keen on a Football dept position at present time, even with the state of the club. Clip was on Hot Breakfast this morning, not sure where the clip was from, maybs 360???

I too think that board is bit full, I think happy with the corporate/legal names mentioned and maybe 1 former player like Joey or Roo (Mind you Andrew Thompson is currently on the board and has been for some time).
The other celebrities can be patrons unless they are really keen to have import into the corporate aspect of the club: Im thinkin Warney, maybs Bana would be keen on this, not sure of the others.

your passionate post was certainly inspiring but we live in reality half the things you want done would require people to want to come to us .. how do you propose doing that

You think big. You stop being an irrelevant sideshow.

You want a model? Look at North Melbourne in 1972. Absolute nothing club. They turned over everything - board, footy department, players.

The good thing about our current predicament is we don’t have a whole lot to lose. If ever we are going to try and turn this club from perrenial loser to consistent winner it is now.

Just have a crack. If it works happy days. If it doesn’t we are same same. Go out and sell a vision.
Unfortunately, Roo has said that he isn't keen on a Football dept position at present time, even with the state of the club. Clip was on Hot Breakfast this morning, not sure where the clip was from, maybs 360???

I too think that board is bit full, I think happy with the corporate/legal names mentioned and maybe 1 former player like Joey or Roo (Mind you Andrew Thompson is currently on the board and has been for some time).
The other celebrities can be patrons unless they are really keen to have import into the corporate aspect of the club: Im thinkin Warney, maybs Bana would be keen on this, not sure of the others.

The saints, or so I thought, had a lot of support within the Jewish community.
That's what I continually heard growing up...…..we had/have a huge Jewish following.......the neighbours were Jewish and lent to the Saints.

It was a great read …....your part 2 there Drake.

Insightful would be an understatement.

Both you and I have been around long enough as have many on here to see some of the howlers the club has made over many many years.

The thing that does my head in is that we can never get it all right at the same time.

How can it be that we never get the right Saints people or non Saints people into the club at the same time and have them all being competent and get the job done?

Absolutely agree with all yr points.

As you say...a stand alone reserves side is a priority....it's no co incidence that the yearly Premiers have a very strong Reserves team...that stands out like dogs...…

The problem also there is the AFL do not want at this time an additional side.

Keep the great posts up !!!!!!!!

Spot on Ricmel…..we can only wish/dream.

What a combo the above would be for the club !!!!!!

You think big. You stop being an irrelevant sideshow.

You want a model? Look at North Melbourne in 1972. Absolute nothing club. They turned over everything - board, footy department, players.

The good thing about our current predicament is we don’t have a whole lot to lose. If ever we are going to try and turn this club from perrenial loser to consistent winner it is now.

Just have a crack. If it works happy days. If it doesn’t we are same same. Go out and sell a vision.
im all fine with thinking big but lets not forget it was thinking big and making big statments that has blown up in our face already with the 2020 plan people cant let go of ....
im all fine to chase the best .. i would say the club does this but the list of names shown is NEVER going to happen for a wide range of reasons ... i think it sets people up for disapointment when they think this list is a possibility

I have been complaining about the lack of St.Kilda people on the coaching staff for a while. The only ones we have are Spud who is part time, and Hamill, who I am unsure if he would bleed rw&b or whether there would be a bit of navy blue in there. We have other Sainters who have been picked up recently like Xavier Clark by Richmond, Lenny Hayes by GWS, and of course Harvs by the maggies. Three terrific players who I am sure had a lot to offer the Saints. Also Andrew McQualter at Richmond, and Crippsy at Port Adelaide. We have never to my knowledge tried to bring any of them home, except Harvs but that is another story.
We need some Saints among our coaches. Then on the board and throughout the club. I am sure if you looked at the successful clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong you would find that they would have many ex-players in their ranks.

Great reading Drake. I particularly agree with breaking the dependence on AFL HQ. Until we get rid of our debt it will always be used to beat us over the head, keep us in line and keep us down. Doesn't matter if we can service the debt or not, the fact that we have a debt will always be used as proof that we are a rabble.

I liken us to 1998 Collingwood who finished 14th with only Freo and Brisbane below them. Eddie came in as a circuit breaker in October 1998 and immediately started to put the club on a secure footing. Here's some interesting points from this article on Forever Collingwood (https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/the-presidents-eddie-mcguire/).

“I think we’ve taken a realistic approach. It’s a tough caper this footy business. Only one team a year wins. But there are a number of other measuring sticks (such as) supporter and member satisfaction, for a start. I think the financial viability of the club, long term stability, club structure, all these type of things are what we should be measured on as well. The ultimate measure, of course, is results on field,” – Eddie McGuire, In Black and White Magazine, March 1999.

“My one ambition in coming in as President of this club (is) that this club is a lot better and a lot more secure than when I took over in October 1998. I had real fears last year that for the first time ever, Collingwood supporters were dropping their heads and giving it away. And I felt shattered last year,” – Eddie McGuire, In Black and White Magazine, March 1999.

I think we all feel shattered this year!

“The culture has got to be only the best for Collingwood. I reckon Collingwood accepts defeat far too easily and accepts mediocrity far too easily,” – Eddie McGuire, The Age, 29 October 1998.

Sound familiar?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back