Movie Star Wars - The Prequels Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Now THAT'S a great article! :thumbsu:
I still feel like whether you like it or not, tpm is the most star wars of the prequels because it feels like star wars. The prop effects give a look and atmosphere that CGI doesn't produce. It's why the sequels feel more like star wars (TFA at least), because they went back to those types of effects.

If you're interested in that stuff, I remember seeing something about the remake of the thing, with the prop vs CGI effects and the CGI being subbed in late and ruining the effect.

I still feel like whether you like it or not, tpm is the most star wars of the prequels because it feels like star wars. The prop effects give a look and atmosphere that CGI doesn't produce. It's why the sequels feel more like star wars (TFA at least), because they went back to those types of effects.

If you're interested in that stuff, I remember seeing something about the remake of the thing, with the prop vs CGI effects and the CGI being subbed in late and ruining the effect.

George lost a lot of money when the Mos Espa set and all the elements within were destroyed by a sandstorm and had to be rebuilt. When he was financing it himself, it is understandable that he decided to double down on CGI after that.

You know...

I really do not find the back end of Episode II bad at all.

Most people I know, think that I'm crazy but.
I honestly reckon the third is the worst. Yes it had some cool moments and the payoff of Anakin becoming Vader but it felt very forced and the gci made the movie feel quite bland, like a computer game

I honestly reckon the third is the worst. Yes it had some cool moments and the payoff of Anakin becoming Vader but it felt very forced and the gci made the movie feel quite bland, like a computer game

I think the start of 3 is terrible, yeah the space battle is cool as is the Dooku fight but the moment they get on the ship til the moment Anakin is made to be Palpatine's representative on the council is pure cringe. It's a horrific 20 minutes or so up there with the worst sections of the PT.

Picks up pretty well after that to me.

I've always said the way Lucas made Anakin turn to the dark side ruined Darth Vader for me.

Preferred he made him turn because he tried to get the Jedi Council to pull his mother out of Tatooine and give her a safe home in Coruscant, but the Council are bitches about it, no attachments. Only Palpatine offers to help. And Palpatine and Anakin talk a lot therefore about the galaxy, how Anakin hates how things are and wants to make things better, feels a dictatorship is the best way, and that jells with Palpatine's outlook, etc, so they become chummy. And that causes the Jedi Council to be even bigger bitches toward Anakin, further driving resentment at them. Perhaps even her death results from some Jedi skirmish delaying the executive ship Palpatine had sent for her. Something like that. Where Anakin embraces the dark side regally and with just cause. Blames the death of his mother on the Council, as well as them holding him back from proper Jedi training because they're too afraid of him.

Geez, GG. Did someone hack your account on 12-12-16?

Episode 3 is widely considered the best of the prequels, which I agree with. It also holds the title for me for the ‘worst scene’ of the prequels too in a strange twist.

The Jedi masters attempting to arrest Palpatine had all sorts of epic potential and promise. However it was a horrendous scene. The way they stood there (even with lightsabers already ignited) as Palpatine flips his way to stand right in front of them, stop, stab one, then turn to the other, stab him too, whilst doing nothing, was all kinds of ridiculous. Lucas taking the piss.

It also has the best scene of the prequels too IMO. The opera scene between Anakin and Palpatine. Loved the dialogue, the excellent score playing between their silence, and the Plageus backstory. Lucas absolutely nailed this one.

Despite all the flaws, the PT is still better by far than the ST. No exaggeration.

I think we all held great promise that the ST would be really good, given we all felt the PT was a letdown. But since the ST has come out, I think most people look back on the PT with more fondness and many (imo) would consider it now far better than the ST.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ST is just the PT plus more technical film making competence, minus original story, interesting lore, iconic music, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Episode 3 is widely considered the best of the prequels, which I agree with. It also holds the title for me for the ‘worst scene’ of the prequels too in a strange twist.

The Jedi masters attempting to arrest Palpatine had all sorts of epic potential and promise. However it was a horrendous scene. The way they stood there (even with lightsabers already ignited) as Palpatine flips his way to stand right in front of them, stop, stab one, then turn to the other, stab him too, whilst doing nothing, was all kinds of ridiculous. Lucas taking the piss.

It also has the best scene of the prequels too IMO. The opera scene between Anakin and Palpatine. Loved the dialogue, the excellent score playing between their silence, and the Plageus backstory. Lucas absolutely nailed this one.

Lucas wanted to use the Palpatine actor for as much fighting as possible to focus on his expressions, which meant the choreography was compromised due to his physical limitations.

It was a bit s**t but that's the reason.

I still love the first ten minutes or so of TPM. Qui Gon and Obi Wan landing on the trade federation ship, it brings back that warm buzz you got in the cinema on the midnight it launched. At that point, you were just about exploding about the amazing cinematic spectacle you were about to witness.

Lucas wanted to use the Palpatine actor for as much fighting as possible to focus on his expressions, which meant the choreography was compromised due to his physical limitations.

It was a bit s**t but that's the reason.

Which is an odd choice, given in the very same movie (and episode 2) he used a stuntman for Dooku’s fight scenes. And the end product was much better.

On his love of Star Wars…

I’m as big as it gets in terms of the nerd aspect…

I have great respect for Episodes IV, V and VI. My favourite one is Episode III but I’m not a massive fan of the newest trilogy – I think they did a few things right and a few things wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back