BBL Stars v Renegades fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Grozzy

Debutant
Feb 6, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Something I've been wondering about is the two Melbourne teams' fanbases. Is there much difference and tribalism between them, and what factors when choosing a team?
With the Sydney teams the major factor is the geographical distance. And because the Thunder are close to a large Indian community it is safe to say they are more multicultural.

Something I've been wondering about is the two Melbourne teams' fanbases. Is there much difference and tribalism between them, and what factors when choosing a team?
With the Sydney teams the major factor is the geographical distance. And because the Thunder are close to a large Indian community it is safe to say they are more multicultural.
The sooner they have the T20 teams represented by their state players with 2 or 3 imports from overseas the better.Murphy bowling to his state team mate Glenn Maxwell did not seem right and Stoinis playing for the Stars when he plays shield for WA.

They don't really represent anything and not many people care.

Generally speaking The Stars fans are in the south and east, Renegades north and west of Melbourne.

Not quite, cos the north-eastern suburbs train stations run through Jolimont.

I suspect that's how most people chose a team - if your train goes through Richmond or Jolimont, and if you weren't such a flog as to decide your support based on the Stars' first president, you generally went for them; if your train went through Southern Cross people typically went for the Renegades.

That's been my experience of Melbourne anyway, not that there's anything like the tribalism of AFL, or even A-League. In fact my feeling this season has been that people were happy to see either Melbourne team do ok given how rubbish they've traditionally become.

7 teams in the BBL have really strong branding... then there's the Stars who couldn't come up with a unique colour scheme, and named themselves after a failed observation wheel located next to their crosstown rivals' stadium. They also thought male cheerleaders were a good idea.

They are on the right track with the Seagull mascot though. Given they haven't won a title yet, and hence no fan attachment to the franchise, it's not too late for them to undergo a major rebranding.

All that aside, their long history of bomb recruits does speak volumes:

starsclarke.jpg

starslee.jpg

starssmith.jpg

7 teams in the BBL have really strong branding... then there's the Stars who couldn't come up with a unique colour scheme, and named themselves after a failed observation wheel located next to their crosstown rivals' stadium. They also thought male cheerleaders were a good idea.

They are on the right track with the Seagull mascot though. Given they haven't won a title yet, and hence no fan attachment to the franchise, it's not too late for them to undergo a major rebranding.

All that aside, their long history of bomb recruits does speak volumes:

View attachment 1886124

View attachment 1886130

View attachment 1886125
The Renegades brand is same as North: weak, with an inferiority complex.

This is coming from a neutral.

You realise you perfectly illustrated my point, right?
Seems like your main claim was that a team with red and black as their main colours, and who chose to play most of their home games at Marvel Stadium, has weak branding.

Not sure what you're on about with the other stuff, and I doubt it matters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back