Stats observations

Remove this Banner Ad

Joel Selwood has moved up to outright 20th for most career wins (203). Five more wins will see him move up five places to 15th!

Next year he should move up to outright 7th, currently Simon Madden on 223 wins.

Surprisingly though, he is not the quickest to 203 wins. Andrew Mackie registered his 203rd win in game 273, Selwood has played 274 games.

Selwood needs to win his next 4 games to move into an outright lead over Mackie.

Either way, Selwood will be first to 208 wins and beyond:
207 wins - 279 games (Andrew Mackie)
208 wins - 289 games (Gordon Coventry)
220 wins - 305 games (Gordon Coventry)
221 wins - 323 games (Michael Tuck)

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime/misc_players.html#02

Record-holder for least games to 208-220 wins: Gordon Coventry (Selwood will erase Coventry from this record)
Record-holder for least games to 221-260 wins: Michael Tuck

After 356 games: Shaun Burgoyne 242 wins, Michael Tuck 247 wins

To catch up to Tuck, Burgoyne would need to win every one of his next 33 games:
- 389 games: Shaun Burgoyne 275 wins, Michael Tuck 275 wins

To overtake Tuck, Burgoyne would need to win every one of his next 35 games:
- 391 games: Shaun Burgoyne 277 wins, Michael Tuck 276 wins

Continuing on from above, Gordon Coventry finished his career with 220 wins from 306 games.

Michael Tuck holds the record for first to 221 wins (323 games).

Shaun Burgoyne had 220 wins after 317 games, but could not get to 221 before Tuck as he lost his next 6 games.

220-wins.JPG

Last edited:

Can some please tell me a good site for stats? I find afl.com.au gets worse every year thanks in advance

Thanks for those stats Sungirl89, i do think Tuck's 303 career wins is one of the most staggering stats of all, and encapsulates over such a long career just how dominant Hawthorn was in that 20 year period from '71-'91. And his durability, as even Selwood is still more than five 25 game seasons away, and i really doubt he's be able to play at age 36-37 to get there.

Kudos again to *Paul* for his magnificent stats site. Just looking at the overall win/loss records of all clubs, and it's fascinating his break-down of how many games it took to achieve each club's milestones of wins in groups of 100. Reflecting i guess Geelong's success in the last decade an a half, it's at this stage taken 320 games for Geelong to register 88 defeats, staving off the 1100th loss for quite a long time.

It also shows how powerful the Big Three in Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon have been over the years, despite the Blues' atrocious record since say 2002, they still have a win percentage well above all bar the Pies, who maintain a staggering 60.93%...having won 554 more games than losses.

St.Kilda is just about the flip side, their record of just 39.36%, which i think may have nudged 40% after say 2011 or so, shows they have endured 505 more defeats than wins.

The Tigers rocketed to 800 wins by game 1444, but the next 100 wins required 279 more games. Geelong scooted to it's 1200th win just 121 games after registering it's 1100th.....Nice time to be a Cat fan for sure.

Carlton got to 1300 wins after just 2132 games, the next 100 wins required 257 more, and the additional 23 wins to arrive at the 1423 successes they now have has consumed an amazing 104 more games, reflecting the stat that Sungirl89 mentioned a few posts ago.

Thanks Paul, these will keep me busy reading these for a long time! The work you have done is sterling!

Biggest ever crowd in Adelaide for top-flight football involving a Melbourne-based club:

53,034 - Adelaide v Carlton, Adelaide Oval, AFLW 2019

I know how to link (but didn't think of it :( ), but I'm not sure why when i type the person's name it doesn't work as a tag for me. But yes thanks for that.
If you just copy and paste the name of another poster (e.g. from below their avatar pic) or type in @ followed by the poster's name it should work - e.g. [@*Paul*] - without the brackets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winning the league B&F Medal with 19 votes:

1934 VFLM - Dick Reynolds
1969 VFLM - Kevin Murray
2019 AFLW - Erin Phillips

EDIT: edited to VFLM for the triggered crybaby that contributes nothing to this forum

Last edited:
Winning the league B&F Medal with 19 votes:

1934 AFLM - Dick Reynolds
1969 AFLM - Kevin Murray
2019 AFLW - Erin Phillips

Won't get into an argument about 'AFLM' nor the merging of stats between leagues but that is just fundamentally wrong in the 1934/1969 instances. It was the VFL.

You really need to get over it.

I think I’ll post more stuff to trigger you.
I'd say you would irk (or "trigger", if you like) plenty of people by posting that sort of stuff! There's no AFLM, there's no VFLM! The AFLW stats shouldn't be lumped in with the AFL/VFL stats - there's no connection there whatsoever.

I really don't get it! Especially given that you've contributed plenty (of mostly sensible stuff!) here over the years. I thought the whole idea of this forum is that we are supposed to be dealing with facts; it's not about making up sh**!!

For the 1 in 100 posts that dares mention AFLW, yes, you need to get over it.

Last edited:

Man... it's not about equality. I watch AFLW. I like it. I support it. I call out trolls.

But as statistics nerds, we're pedants. Grouping in unrelated stats is exactly the sort of stuff that the majority of us would jump up and down over in any other setting. So too, referring to something by a name that it's never been called. It has nothing to do with being "triggered"

It's a relevant stat though to assess the relative depth of the two leagues. The fact the top 3 are women even though the league has been only around for a few years v 100+ suggests there just isn't the same degree of depth in the Women's game

That chap (Swamp) does absolutely brilliant work, and I'm one of the many people who like to go to his page/site and see what he comes up with. Most likely, if someone reads something there that they strongly object to they'll be told to bugger off!

Here it's totally different. Posters sticking to the accepted names/terms is what is expected, as opposed to using terms someone has invented!

4+ Wins For Qld Teams After Round 3 (2011-2019)
5 wins - 2019

3+ Wins For Qld Teams After Round 3 (1987-2019)
5 wins - 2019
3 wins - 2016, 2010, 2004, 2002

I noticed that Luke Breust kicked 5.0 today and I was wondering how many times he'd kicked 5 or more straight (4 times).

Most Games With 5+ Goals And 0 Behinds*
17 - Lockett
14 - Lloyd
10 - Neitz
9 - Kernahan, Hall
8 - Dunstall, Richardson
7 - Matthews
6 - McKenna, Quinlan, Lynch, Fevola, Pavlich, NRiewoldt
5 - Hudson, Monvrieff, Carey, Franklin
4 - Roach, Rocca
3 - Bartlett, Ablett
1 - JRiewoldt