Coaching Staff Steve Johnson Joins as Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

It was the sniping bit, FM watch footy 20-30 years ago that's were snipers were.

I watched the first final last season where he sniped Josh Kennedy Bedders & rendered him to 50% capacity.

Hence my fleeting comment but like I said, I'm very happy to have him on board .

One thing about the "old days" is that although there was plenty of real sniping, most players knew their way around the footy field expecting anything. Kennedy had no reason to think that he would be taken out like that & I think it mat have ultimately cost GWS a p'ship with Stevie J rubbed out for the Dogs game.

I watched the first final last season where he sniped Josh Kennedy Bedders & rendered him to 50% capacity.

Hence my fleeting comment but like I said, I'm very happy to have him on board .

One thing about the "old days" is that although there was plenty of real sniping, most players knew their way around the footy field expecting anything. Kennedy had no reason to think that he would be taken out like that & I think it mat have ultimately cost GWS a p'ship with Stevie J rubbed out for the Dogs game.
I wondered when you'd pop up.

It's a completely different era mate. StevieJ is a modern day sniper. JPK can vouch for it.

None-the-less, he's a swan now & should hopefully bring us something else we could use.

Hope he fits in as seamlessly as Shawry has.

I totally misread that as JFK ....

I'm a bit surprised the Giants couldn't find a spot for Johnson on their coaching panel, I thought that was one of the reasons he went there? Hope it's not a case of Harley handing out coaching appointments to his old mates.

Well deserved promotion for Rhyce Shaw though. I guess if McVeigh loses form next year at least we'll have a ready made captain/coach for the NEAFL side (I threw that last part in for his critics on here).

I'm a bit surprised the Giants couldn't find a spot for Johnson on their coaching panel, I thought that was one of the reasons he went there?

I heard that they offered him a coaching position but it was not going to be in a position as high as an assistant, coaching one of the lines of the senior team.

I have no proof of this this and just whispers/bigfooty etc...

Do you think there's still bad blood between ROK and Horse over the way he finished his career in the NEAFL?

There may be but there's no olive branch like the one of respect when someone like Longmire says we'd love to get you back to the club as an assistant because we rate what you've done with the Crows. Now that he's coached his own team ROK would appreciate Horse's decision back in 2014 a little more as no doubt he would have been part of the call to keep Scott Thompson out of the Crow's senior team in the last year of his contract.

It's a long shot suggestion I made as I tend to do but very unlikely as I think the Crows are very happy with him.

Not sure what's better, Johnson in or Kirk to midfield, I like it.

couple years late, but it looks good on paper

Getting pretty thirsty over here after recent years

I won't go where I'm not wanted. Just say the word.

Dare I day Bedders not wanting me on the site is motivation for me to be on the site. I get a lot more exercise and a lot of intellectual stimulation deciphering acronyms

"Jog on"..........."wtftidyticobyup"

Sometimes I'll even multitask.......jogging on whilst trying to work out wth the insult was :p

gotta love ya bedders!!!!

Dare I day Bedders not wanting me on the site is motivation for me to be on the site. I get a lot more exercise and a lot of intellectual stimulation deciphering acronyms

"Jog on"..........."wtftidyticobyup"

Sometimes I'll even multitask.......jogging on whilst trying to work out wth the insult was :p

gotta love ya bedders!!!!
When did I say I didn't want Ted on this site , or you for that matter. WTFDWFP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you're telling me we might have an AFL level forward coaching the forward line (has that ever happened?), an AFL level mid coaching the mids (Kirk?) and an AFL level defender coaching defense (Shaw?)?

Awesome?
Happy with all of those but I will just say that competency level as a player does not necessarily correlate to competence level as a coach.

Happy with all of those but I will just say that competency level as a player does not necessarily correlate to competence level as a coach.

Definitely agree with that.

Shaw and Kirk are definitely safe and plenty has been said about Johnson and his "footy IQ" so hopefully he can impact some structure on our forward line.

I'd like to see us create mismatches up forward with the likes of Heeney, Parker, Hewett and possibly Dawson from time to time.

Do you think there's still bad blood between ROK and Horse over the way he finished his career in the NEAFL?

Not sure, but I hope Adelaide win the grand final, part of me thinks what went down in 2014 against the Hawks might not have happened if ROK had still been in the side. But then it may be a moot point as I'm not sure if we could have carried him through the season that year anyway.

Not sure, but I hope Adelaide win the grand final, part of me thinks what went down in 2014 against the Hawks might not have happened if ROK had still been in the side. But then it may be a moot point as I'm not sure if we could have carried him through the season that year anyway.
He looked cooked early on in the season let alone with another 15 odd games into those legs... I don't think he would've gotten any better as the season went on. Who was he keeping out?

He looked cooked early on in the season let alone with another 15 odd games into those legs... I don't think he would've gotten any better as the season went on. Who was he keeping out?

Lloyd perhaps? We did need more run at the time

Not sure what's better, Johnson in or Kirk to midfield, I like it.

couple years late, but it looks good on paper

Getting pretty thirsty over here after recent years
Wasn't Kirk midfield/stoppage coach at Freo back when they were good?

I've always said that ROK wouldn't have helped us win that day but we wouldn't have lost by more than 30 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back