Coach Stuart Dew - Where is the scrutiny?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sampson1

Rookie
May 14, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
At what point does his position become scrutinised?

4th year in charge, still struggling badly on-field. Yeah, there are injuries, but every team has them, and sometimes fault does lie with the coach (like if he's training them too hard).

Did we ever get a non-bs reason for why Dean Solomon had his contract terminated?

Well GC is onto their 3rd coach I believe (Eade and McKenna) and all coaches have had poor results so far. Maybe it isn't the coach, much like Carlton. Changing the coach may not achieve anything. Instead they need to look at instilling a willing mentality at the club. How? Who knows

Well GC is onto their 3rd coach I believe (Eade and McKenna) and all coaches have had poor results so far. Maybe it isn't the coach, much like Carlton. Changing the coach may not achieve anything. Instead they need to look at instilling a willing mentality at the club. How? Who knows

The rot starts from the top ... Cochrane needs to start being held accountable for the management of the club.

No club in world sport has been breastfed and looked after so much and delivered so little.

Largely comes down to on field leaders imo.

Michael Voss never comes along to Brisbane and they might not have won 3 flags on the trot, he set a high standard and showed his likewise-young team mates at the time what was required and what was possible.

Gold Coast rolled over way too easily today, they let St Kilda off the hook last week and they are threatening to fly the white flag early in a season like they have consistently since Ablett, Lynch and May left.

They are short of talls; good talls anyway.

Rowell might have made some headway to filling that onfield talisman type leadership position if he'd be more fortunate with injury to date; he can still come back and help shoulder some of the load for this young struggling side though.

I hope they've got Noah Anderson and Ben King locked away.

13 players under 50 games tonight. This is the reality most weeks. All the hopes and wishes in the world won't make up for the lack of preseasons. Stay the course and like magic Stewie Dew will become the next coach like Hinkley, Goodwin, Hardwick, Thompson who were terrible until they were the best.

Last edited:
Someone has to say it ..

A coach who is 30 kilograms overweight doesn’t exactly inspire discipline and sacrifice to his players.

#nochipsforstewie

When you’ve made the crowd dance on grand final day twice, you can look like whatever you want.

That said 30kgs is underselling it. He’d be 160 easy and should probably be walking around at 100.

Largely comes down to on field leaders imo.

Michael Voss never comes along to Brisbane and they might not have won 3 flags on the trot, he set a high standard and showed his likewise-young team mates at the time what was required and what was possible.

Gold Coast rolled over way too easily today, they let St Kilda off the hook last week and they are threatening to fly the white flag early in a season like they have consistently since Ablett, Lynch and May left.

They are short of talls; good talls anyway.

Rowell might have made some headway to filling that onfield talisman type leadership position if he'd be more fortunate with injury to date; he can still come back and help shoulder some of the load for this young struggling side though.

I hope they've got Noah Anderson and Ben King locked away.
If Michael Voss never played for Brisbane between 1992-2006, Brisbane would not of won 3 flags in a row from 2001-03. Would not of made 4 grand finals in a row from 2001-04.

Saying that, Brisbane would of at least won 1 flag regardless. They had too many good leaders and players in that side not including Voss.

Embarrassing take.

Calm down! It's obviously hyperbole but the sentiment is they were terrible at their jobs, should be sacked and then became amazing shortly after. Not literally the best. The dramatic takes people have over coaches when it's almost entirely list related is humorous. Most of the time, it's the team with the most players between 100 and 250 games win.

Last edited:
When you’ve made the crowd dance on grand final day twice, you can look like whatever you want.

That said 30kgs is underselling it. He’d be 160 easy and should probably be walking around at 100.

Yeah nah..I think 160 is a bit over top.

he’s only 6ft tall

I’d say he be around 120 kg

ideal weight 90kg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah nah..I think 160 is a bit over top.

he’s only 6ft tall

I’d say he be around 120 kg

ideal weight 90kg

He would have been close to a hundred kgs when he finished playing, he is way more than 20kgs heavier than that. To put a real number on it. He'd be 140. My house mate is 6 foot 126kg, with similar proportions, barely hanging over his belt, let alone a keg like Dew.

He would have been close to a hundred kgs when he finished playing, he is way more than 20kgs heavier than that. To put a real number on it. He'd be 140. My house mate is 6 foot 126kg, with similar proportions, barely hanging over his belt, let alone a keg like Dew.

Yeah nah I disagree with your estimates.

D.Jarman is 6’1 and in this photo I’d say he’d be around 140 ish

No way Dew is more than 120

I’m 5’11 and an ideal weight with hardly any midriff fat is around 85 kgs, so Dew is around the same.

He’s no way as big as Jarman here.. 9A209954-19BE-4AE7-BB26-9A73B5860195.jpeg

Yeah nah I disagree with your estimates.

D.Jarman is 6’1 and in this photo I’d say he’d be around 140 ish

No way Dew is more than 120

I’m 5’11 and an ideal weight with hardly any midriff fat is around 85 kgs, so Dew is around the same.

He’s no way as big as Jarman here..View attachment 1128757

I reckon that's pretty close to Dew. He just got a good face for it, doesn't carry it in the jowls.

r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

That's from a year back.

Calm down! It's obviously hyperbole but the sentiment is they were terrible at their jobs, should be sacked and then became amazing shortly after. Not literally the best. The dramatic takes people have over coaches when it's almost entirely list related is humorous. Most of the time, it's the team with the most players between 100 and 250 games win.
Embarrassing.

Embarrassing.

ew you're weird, imagine not understanding the referential nature of the post to the greater perception of them to their respective supporters and media presentation that has nothing to do with my personal perspective of them...

Last edited:
Jarman 1 inch taller is a good 20 to 30 kg more I’d say

But it is hard to judge just by photos alone

Either way it's unhealthy and poses an interesting question about how the players would perceive it.

People have been high on Dew since the Prime documentary where he came across as affable and in touch with his players.

But realistically he's had years and gotten next to nothing out of a squad stacked with talent. He completely misinterpreted the way the game was going with the horrific short kicking style. He alienated Lyons who would be GC's best player and leader so much so that they gifted him to their cross-town rival for nothing.

Proof is always in the pudding. Public opinion of Leon Cameron nosedived when that documentary came out but at least he's achieved some things in his tenure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back