Autopsy Swans by 2 in a nailbiter

Remove this Banner Ad

Our language is changing all the time. In the past we would have said "I should have said this" which in written form was abbreviated to "I should've said this". Because this was pronounced as "should of" the younger generation now believe that of has replaced the word have. As a result they now write "I should of said this. Even many journalists, who should know better, use the word of. This is incorrect English but it will never go back.
We should cut off a few fingers as an example. The language must be purified. What's the point of electric cattle prods if our educators are reluctant to use them? "Spare the rod and spoil the child" was once considered a fundamental theme of childhood discipline. A bit of violence never hurt anyone, er....

I was beaten frequentlly as a kid in the 70s. I frequently got the strap at primary school in Victoria. The headmaster's kid was my arch-nemesis and I made a point of besting him in everything, from footy to athletics to school work and even girls. His dad hated me.

When I was about 12 we moved to Tasmaina, where they were still using the cane at high school. Making the footy team was the only way to avoid the cane as the headmaster was a footy nut. Tassie was one of of the last states, if not the last, to bann corporal punishment. Even after violence was banned a few teachers liked to dish out "unofficial beatings". One teacher would punch boys in the nuts. If they didn't crumple in a screaming heap either their balls hadn't dropped or, more likely, they'd hidden their f** pack down their undies. I kept my **** in a tin and made a dash for it while he was still rubbing his poor fist. There was one teacher who played for North Hobart in the TFL who was a right bastard. He lived to beat up kids. One boy's dad, on day release from prison, went straight around to the school, called him out and beat the crap out of him for hitting his kid. We all silently cheered him on, though no-one dared say a word. No action was taken against the teacher, boy or his dad. Officially, it didn't happen.

But I digress...and risk the ire of the content police. Apologies all.

We should cut off a few fingers as an example. The language must be purified. What's the point of electric cattle prods if our educators are reluctant to use them? "Spare the rod and spoil the child" was once considered a fundamental theme of childhood discipline. A bit of violence never hurt anyone, er....

I was beaten frequentlly as a kid in the 70s. I frequently got the strap at primary school in Victoria. The headmaster's kid was my arch-nemesis and I made a point of besting him in everything, from footy to athletics to school work and even girls. His dad hated me.

When I was about 12 we moved to Tasmaina, where they were still using the cane at high school. Making the footy team was the only way to avoid the cane as the headmaster was a footy nut. Tassie was one of of the last states, if not the last, to bann corporal punishment. Even after violence was banned a few teachers liked to dish out "unofficial beatings". One teacher would punch boys in the nuts. If they didn't crumple in a screaming heap either their balls hadn't dropped or, more likely, they'd hidden their f** pack down their undies. I kept my **** in a tin and made a dash for it while he was still rubbing his poor fist. There was one teacher who played for North Hobart in the TFL who was a right bastard. He lived to beat up kids. One boy's dad, on day release from prison, went straight around to the school, called him out and beat the crap out of him for hitting his kid. We all silently cheered him on, though no-one dared say a word. No action was taken against the teacher, boy or his dad. Officially, it didn't happen.

Effing hell mate, that’s appalling. I grew up in the same era and school was so brutal, but I never saw anything as bad as that.

Last edited:

The language debate is interesting,

In my experience people who complain about language changing also use the word 'meld' unironically.

And no 'meld' doesn't mean combining two things together. (or it didn't 100 years ago).

Nyc Mayoral Primary GIF by GIPHY News

Don't know if it still the case but the French and Italians had an official process for admission of new words into their languages.

English has always been a free wheeling hybrid beyond formal control.

Don't know if it still the case but the French and Italians had an official process for admission of new words into their languages.

English has always been a free wheeling hybrid beyond formal control.

The French don't have a word for 70 yet, There have been a few proposals but all have been rejected iirc.

In my experience people who complain about language changing also use the word 'meld' unironically.

And no 'meld' doesn't mean combining two things together. (or it didn't 100 years ago).

Also,the people who complain have no rizz

Effing hell mate, that’s appalling. I get up in the same era and school was so brutal, but I never saw anything as bad as that.
I'm told it's a nice school these days, but back then it was known as Windy Hill Prison. Short skirts were mandatory and it was always windy. Sex and violence were popular subjects. So many underage girls got pregnant the school tried to ban cling wrap on lunches (fair dinkum, though only the cling wrap was banned, not the rubber bands.....). Everyone knew which teachers were doing it with which students. No-one cared. The school was the last chance for kids who'd been kicked out of other schools, many of them had fathers in prison. Drinking and drugs were popular from 8th grade It was widely rumoured that the headmaster was an alcoholic. Few ever saw him. The vice head - aka Hitler - ran the school in his absence. Young teachers didn't last long. They had no-one to turn to. One very pretty young teacher was so constantly sexually harrassed by her students that she eventually walked out in tears, vowing never to teach again. She later became an air hostess. Gang fights with other schools were among the most popular extra-curricular activities. Fights in school would jam the hallways solid with cheering spectators, everyone goading the fighters on. The youngest boys were cruelly taunted and punched if they stopped fighting. If they just wrestled they would be forced to punch each other in the face. Bullying was next level. When I started there some guys laid the boots into me in the locker room. Next day I just happened to have a sharp piece of steel from my metalwork class in my locker. I punctured an artery in one guy's leg as he went to kick me. The other end of the metal piece split open my palm. Soon the locker room was soaked in red, with kids slipping around in our blood. Teachers arrived and we were sent off to the first aid room. I'd gained respect. The bullying stopped, for me at least. No-one squealed. Of course the guy survived. He eventually became a prefect. He was a very good footy player. Years later he made partner in a Sydney law firm. I don't go to reunions

Back on footy. I wasn't happy with the umpiring on Saturday. There was a lack of consistency in paying frees that could go either way. And too often the umps chose to miss a few the Swans deserved. Here's a screen grab. I paused the replay to go for a pee and just happened to catch a hold on Rowbottom which the umpire chose to ignore.

IMG_4926.JPG IMG_4926.JPG

Back on footy. I wasn't happy with the umpiring on Saturday. There was a lack of consistency in paying frees that could go either way. And too often the umps chose to miss a few the Swans deserved. Here's a screen grab. I paused the replay to go for a pee and just happened to catch a hold on Rowbottom which the umpire chose to ignore.

View attachment 1760654View attachment 1760654

I think a freeze frame could reveal dozens of missed frees both ways, I'd rather they not blow their whistle 60 times a game.

The first quarter was the worst. Plenty of non calls, Swans couldn't buy a free meanwhile plenty of soft calls went towards Essendon.

After the first quarter I didn't hate the umpiring though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Belgian French speakers (Walloons) have words for both seventy and ninety but the French will have none of that malarky

Former French colonies developed their own variants. None accepted in formal French.

Spanish is different with less controls in Spain, meaning the language evolves. I learned though Spanish as spoken in Central America holds more to the Spanish as then spoken when colonised.

I lost the plot in the 1st Q it was biased crap

I lost the plot in the 1st Q it was biased crap
Too often now days it feels like umpires try to sort of orchestrate good, close matches, rather than letting them just unfold organically.

The second quarter vs Brisbane at the Gabba was a classic example. We were well on top with a handy but gettable lead. We were also the weaker side with a shocking record in second halves, so the chances of Brisbane coming back and making it a close game were always high. Instead the umpires just swung the game back entirely in their favour and it ended up being a one-sided, predictable game from thereon.

They are just so unbelievably s**t at their job, but the fish rots from the head down.

Really pleased to see Chad with his mojo back.
Took the game on and was much more reminiscent of the Chad of last year.

Commentator mentioned the vast majority of Amartey's goals come in the first half.
Maybe he will be unable to, but if he could develop a 4Qtr tank, it would really benefit him and us. (I do acknowledge he had a couple of key moments late).

And as for that Gulden chappie.
Obviously don't want to jump the gun but I'd be leaning towards extending his contract (OOC end of 2024).
There's as much chance of him leaving as there is of Bud playing for another 5 years.

Our language is changing all the time. In the past we would have said "I should have said this" which in written form was abbreviated to "I should've said this". Because this was pronounced as "should of" the younger generation now believe that of has replaced the word have. As a result they now write "I should of said this. Even many journalists, who should know better, use the word of. This is incorrect English but it will never g

Not quite sure what being beaten up at school has to do with the youth of today saying should of instead of should have.
FWIW - I also grew up in the age of corporal punishment at school (strap etc) but nothing like what you described above. Some of that should have been referred to the police. I do however still believe that there is nothing wrong with a smack on the bum for misbehaving children as long as it goes no further than that.

Don't think I've ever used the word "meld".

Cheats. All of them!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back