Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Jay Clark is the absolute pits.

Many in the footy media scrum are ignorant and disinterested towards the non-Victorian clubs, but I don't buy that any of them actually hate them or have a vested interest in seeing them fail.

Clark absolutely hates them and have heard from a reliable source if he had his way it would be the 10 Vic clubs like it once was.
He's no good . His waste of a show on a Tuesday has him and Ralph opposite and i have it from great authority that Clark and Ralp despise one another , in fact both deserve Murdoch

Brenton Sanderson at around 10.30 on SENs Vicar of Whately show gave a terrific preview of the Bloods and Giants game with some decent analysis of both teams .

I'm a big fan of Sanderson as a commentator/analyst. I'd be ok with him in an assistant coaching role too if it ever arises. [Always a chance if he's willing to come to Sydney because he's tight with Tom Harley.]

Thanks Lachlan! All anyone needs to do is expand your screen after clicking on the tweet.

I'm impressed that the Terror (a) has a double page spread previewing an AFL match; and (b) avoided any references to bridges. I hope the Giants hate the bridge thing too, although possibly they have less reason to.

I'm a big fan of Sanderson as a commentator/analyst. I'd be ok with him in an assistant coaching role too if it ever arises. [Always a chance if he's willing to come to Sydney because he's tight with Tom Harley.]
I confess I find his tactical analysis pretty shallow and 'meh'.

And I'm not sure how you can preview a match like ours this weekend, stressing how expertly both teams move the ball, without checking the weather forecast and realising that both teams need to find different ways to play tomorrow. Everything else becomes somewhat redundant.

I'm impressed that the Terror (a) has a double page spread previewing an AFL match; and (b) avoided any references to bridges. I hope the Giants hate the bridge thing too, although possibly they have less reason to.
Giants media have been using the Battle of the Bridge to troll Swan fans. Really disappointing because we've fought so long & hard to get rid of that ridiculous moniker.

I think King is right - but for the wrong reasons. I don't think Longmire has questions about whether Parker is in our best 23 (though I could be proved wrong). He (Longmire) was explicit in his team selection video that Parker has been out for 9 weeks, and he wants to make sure he (Parker) has the right fitness base before he comes back into the team so that he can be a strong contributor for the rest of the season.

Rampe, on the other hand, has only missed three weeks.

That said, I won't be surprised if Parker is a late switch into the team for all the reasons we've already discussed.

Surely that David King saying we're flying and Parker needs to earn his way back in is not the same David King who a few weeks ago was saying we're basically Heeney or bust, who was not the same David King who a few weeks before that said we have so many weapons if one doesn't get you, another will?

Yep. Same David King.

I don't blame David King. I'll reiterate my point from the other day. I blame the relentless self-contradictions these media pundits are cornered into when forced to offer comments and reactions to an ever-changing competition on a weekly basis.

Make these programs a monthly thing and you'd get more sense - and more consistency - from them. Will never happen though with how much money they make.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And some others like Deewayne Russell
Dwayne & Gerard has always used it. It interesting that a fair few people outside of NSW seem to find Battle of the Bridge a nifty name. They're seemingly unaware how much NSW people hate it with a loathing passion. Gerard doesn't help because he loves it and uses it at every opportunity he gets.

Dwayne & Gerard has always used it. It interesting that a fair few people outside of NSW seem to find Battle of the Bridge a nifty name. They're seemingly unaware how much NSW people hate it with a loathing passion. Gerard doesn't help because he loves it and uses it at every opportunity he gets.
Was it originally intended to be a geographical thing? Like you're on one side of the bridge, we're on the other? Which understandably makes little sense.

Or is it just randomly inserting a local landmark into the name? Like battle of the big pineapple.

I never really understood who started it or why

Was it originally intended to be a geographical thing? Like you're on one side of the bridge, we're on the other? Which understandably makes little sense.

Or is it just randomly inserting a local landmark into the name? Like battle of the big pineapple.

I never really understood who started it or why
I think Kevin Sheedy started it from memory.

Surely that David King saying we're flying and Parker needs to earn his way back in is not the same David King who a few weeks ago was saying we're basically Heeney or bust, who was not the same David King who a few weeks before that said we have so many weapons if one doesn't get you, another will?

Yep. Same David King.

I don't blame David King. I'll reiterate my point from the other day. I blame the relentless self-contradictions these media pundits are cornered into when forced to offer comments and reactions to an ever-changing competition on a weekly basis.

Make these programs a monthly thing and you'd get more sense - and more consistency - from them. Will never happen though with how much money they make.

exactly ... as has been noted a few times recently, king is one who makes such "bold" statements, declarations almost, that his contradictions are more noticeable
and while he might say the swans are "flying", he still doesn't seem to rate us longer term

Last edited:

Why do NSW people hate it with a loathing passion? I find it silly since there's no bridge but I don't 'loath' it.

I do like that it's more regularly just referred to as the Sydney Derby. I find those franchise-esque names for things a bit cringe. Even the Showdown is a bit lame. WA Derby, SA Derby, NSW Derby, QLD Derby. All fine. Problematic if they add a third WA team but cross that, er, bridge if it comes.

Battle of the Blood Oranges?

I don’t know - there’s just nothing that really works.

Battle of the Bridge certainly doesn’t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back