Opinion Sydney Swans Academy and Rebuild

Academies, friend or foe

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If we're lucky to have a father son available to draft who is also considered a top 3 draft prospect. Can you let me know the last of those we had?

But you’ve got that option available.

Can you let me know when we have had 3 top 5 rated kids walk in free.

Victorians, South & West Australians don’t seem to get the fact that, AFL IS THE MAIN SPORT PLAYED IN YOUR STATE AND PRIVATE SCHOOLS!! AFL hardly rates as as a second thought in any NSW or QLD school. The Academies are vital to the development of the sport in these states, period.

Last edited:
Victorians, South & West Australians don’t seem to get the fact that, AFL IS THE MAIN SPORT PLAYED IN YOUR STATE AND PRIVATE SCHOOLS!! AFL hardly rates as as a second thought in any NSW or QLD school. The Academies are vital to the development of the sport in these states, period.
“Lions Academy manager Luke Curran says the biggest challenge is not only finding the talent, but convincing them to play AFL in Queensland's competitive sporting environment. It's a sentiment echoed by all four club academies.

"You're competing against other successful football codes and they're quite active," Curran says. "The (Queensland) Reds, the (Brisbane) Broncos, the (Brisbane) Roar … basketball is big in south-east Queensland, and they're all running similar development programs for talent.

And there's also the private schooling system – which offers scholarships to the best talent from any sport – that largely has Australian Rules at the bottom of its pecking order”

Last edited:
But you’ve got that option available.

Can you let me know when we have had 3 top 5 rated kids walk in free.

Oh ok, well it's good to know we have that option. I hope we use it this season.

You do realise that the F/S are much more free than Academy picks (ignoring that both need to be paid for via draft picks) considering the literal cash spent on developing Academy players, yes?

That’s BS though. With the points system you only need a 12-18 first rounder and a couple of picks in the early 20s and you have enough points to match pick 1. That’s 2 fringe best 22 players and a mid top 8 finish for the best player in the draft. Literally AFL Live trading logic if you went to the trade table

Not many other clubs have this sort of opportunity and for most to get quality you more often than not have to give up quality, not just a large collection of average players for an upgrade

If you walked into North and said here’s pick 12, 20 and 22 (3025pts) for pick 1 (3000pts), they’d laugh you out of the room.
* takes deep breath and again rolls eyes

Growing the game also means you get the gun WA kid who falls to your teams pick. There is a bigger picture than the club each and every person supports. Do people not understand this concept?

Do people also not understand that not every single kid that goes through this academy are AFL worthy? The AFL also handed this to the Clubs.

It’s a pretty simple concept that is about growing the game not the self interest of individual clubs.

One of the dumbest threads of all.

The NSW clubs face an absolute s**t show with player retention.

Would someone like to do an audit of all the players GWS have lost in the last 5 years?
Hill and Taranto gone today

Absolute shitshow.

NSW academies are crucial.

I think on average only 2 players a year are drafted from NSW.

So the biggest state in the country accounts for only 3% of draftees.

That's an extremely disappointing number.

If we can get that number up to 10% then we can have a sensible discussion about the need or otherwise for academies. But we aren't even close.

One of the dumbest threads of all.

The NSW clubs face an absolute s**t show with player retention.

Would someone like to do an audit of all the players GWS have lost in the last 5 years?
Hill and Taranto gone today

Absolute shitshow.

NSW academies are crucial.

I think on average only 2 players a year are drafted from NSW.

So the biggest state in the country accounts for only 3% of draftees.

That's an extremely disappointing number.

If we can get that number up to 10% then we can have a sensible discussion about the need or otherwise for academies. But we aren't even close.

Ahhh the old GWS are struggling to retain players that's why the Swans should keep the academy. I also love the we can't develop academy's or pathways unless we get special access to the talent argument.

Tbh this is just one of a number of loopholes and problems the AFL have allowed to fester that have destroyed any semblance of equalisation through the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahhh the old GWS are struggling to retain players that's why the Swans should keep the academy. I also love the we can't develop academy's or pathways unless we get special access to the talent argument.

Tbh this is just one of a number of loopholes and problems the AFL have allowed to fester that have destroyed any semblance of equalisation through the draft.
So you would have two teams from the same city with different drafting rules in the name of equalisation?

Ok champ

I think you’ll find most Swans fans are up for discussion on how things can be tweaked, but are just sick of mindless bashing of our academy, like the rest of the AFL is some Shangri-La of equality and fairness.

The fact is, the first and third most populous states in Australia (representing precisely half of Australia’s total population!) are still comparative wastelands for nurturing AFL talent.

Last 10 flags

VIC 9
WA 1
QLD 0
NSW 0
SA 0

Tbh this is just one of a number of loopholes and problems the AFL have allowed to fester that have destroyed any semblance of equalisation through the draft
You know this isn't the first time the AFL introduced pathways in NSW? But tieing them to the club is the first time it has been successful

You might not like it but this is what peak talent pathways look like

Last edited:
That’s BS though. With the points system you only need a 12-18 first rounder and a couple of picks in the early 20s and you have enough points to match pick 1. That’s 2 fringe best 22 players and a mid top 8 finish for the best player in the draft. Literally AFL Live trading logic if you went to the trade table

Not many other clubs have this sort of opportunity and for most to get quality you more often than not have to give up quality, not just a large collection of average players for an upgrade

If you walked into North and said here’s pick 12, 20 and 22 (3025pts) for pick 1 (3000pts), they’d laugh you out of the room.
Tigers just picked up Taranto (pick 2) for pick 12 & 19. Doesn't seem like the points system is that far off.

Same metric, picks 12, 20 and 22 is overs compared to what Richmond paid

Tigers just picked up Taranto (pick 2) for pick 12 & 19. Doesn't seem like the points system is that far off.

Same metric, picks 12, 20 and 22 is overs compared to what Richmond paid
Think we can all agree that was a rort on Richmond’s behalf though. There’s no way Taranto is worth close to 2 late firsts if JHF is being rumoured to be more than 8 and a F1st. Should have been at least one top 10 pick involved for TT

Think we can all agree that was a rort on Richmond’s behalf though. There’s no way Taranto is worth close to 2 late firsts if JHF is being rumoured to be more than 8 and a F1st. Should have been at least one top 10 pick involved for TT
It's pretty part n parcel, club drafts a top 10 pick and puts in a few years for him. He crys homesick and gets traded for nothing.

I agree Richmond got him for cheap, but it's something which happens time and time again

Back