Opinion Sydney Swans Academy and Rebuild

Academies, friend or foe

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

but its fair for the AFL to give 10 million dollars a year for grass roots victorian footy But none to The SANFL and WAFL.
But I thought the Dockers are so tough we don't need the AFL?

But also we give heaps to the WAFC

But also... need more handouts from the AFL!

Victorians also seem to have no idea how big a deal the "Go Home Factor" is. Player retention for non-Victorian clubs is a major issue. They're not even drafting some players because of the risk of non-retention. Remember how excited Tanner Bruhn was to join the Giants? Well blow me down, isn't he playing for Geelong now?
Have you seen his interviews since coming to Geelong? Same face. He could win the lottery and not look any different.

Reality is he got traded because he was never cracking that midfield rotation and he ain't a small forward

Seriously there needs to be an in between because while we need to get kids into afl, it'll get real old having GCS take 4 top 10 picks every year
To be fair, none of those four first round draftees played in the Darwin game last night and Geelong still got smashed. The result had very little to do with the academy.

Tanner Bruhn is a mental manlet.

At 17 I would have been jumping to get out the family house and move interstate and meet new mates.

It makes sense to move back home when you're 30 and have a bairn and the folks are older but **** me, these 20 year olds who want to go back home? pathetic shit.

Have you seen his interviews since coming to Geelong? Same face. He could win the lottery and not look any different.

Reality is he got traded because he was never cracking that midfield rotation and he ain't a small forward
True LOL

Still the stats are there. 53% of draftees come from Victoria. It is a factor and trying to develop a hand full of home grown talent for the NSW and QLD teams is valid.

At 17 I would have been jumping to get out the family house and move interstate and meet new mates.

It makes sense to move back home when you're 30 and have a bairn and the folks are older but heck me, these 20 year olds who want to go back home? pathetic s**t.
What are you actually talking about?

We should still have Jordan Dawson. He took a pay cut to live in Adelaide. Surely one of maybe 5 people on the planet to have ever done that.

but its fair for the AFL to give 10 million dollars a year for grass roots victorian footy But none to The SANFL and WAFL.

Come again?

AFL contributions to the WAFL at... 1.8 million a year...

https://www.footyindustry.com/afl/c...AFl contributions,is reduced by transfer fees.

Sources of Funding

The WAFC owns the State’s two AFL teams – the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Football Club and a significant portion of its funding is related to the AFL competition.

Direct contributions from the AFL.

In addition to AFL related income, the WAFC generates income through player registrations as well as its own commercial arrangements such as broadcast rights and sponsorships.

https://wafootball.com.au/wafc/about-us

According to the above, the AFL pump nearly 2 million per year into the WAFL directly (via the WAFC).

The WA State government also pisses in a lot of cash.

Thereby rendering the primary incentive to put so much time and money into them redundant. Yeah, that will work.
The AFL can still do it without the 4 northern clubs being given exclusive access.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I support the concept of academies, just don't think the NSW and QLD sides should have exclusive access and the players should be available to all clubs via the national draft.
Why should we go to great lengths into bringing kids into the sport and develop them through the acadamies on our own dime for no benefit? Tell the AFL to pick up the tab of running them instead of us if you'd like to see the benefits we receive picking them during the draft removed.

Last edited:
Seems weird how Nick Blakey was an academy product, when his father played over 350 games for 2 clubs.

According to Wikipedia, he did AusKick and played junior football too.

I thought academies were meant to be for players from non-traditional backgrounds. I.e. Did not play the game until late, came from another sport etc.

How do players like this qualify?

Seems weird how Nick Blakey was an academy product, when his father played over 350 games for 2 clubs.

According to Wikipedia, he did AusKick and played junior football too.

I thought academies were meant to be for players from non-traditional backgrounds. I.e. Did not play the game until late, came from another sport etc.

How do players like this qualify?

You're thinking of the NGA rules, not the Northern academy rules

Who are the academy players from Sydney that are premiers?

For all these advantages, the Swans have won 2 premierships since 1990.

People need to get over it, just like interstate fans need to get over their ‘Vicbias’ whining.

Who are the academy players from Sydney that are premiers?

For all these advantages, the Swans have won 2 premierships since 1990.

People need to get over it, just like interstate fans need to get over their ‘Vicbias’ whining.
its funny that Gulden gets pumped up as an academy pick. He was a second round selection, Campbell was the early touted one. Heeney bucking the trend of early academy selections becoming stars (to early to tell with the 23 Suns version who look like could be superstars)

It makes sense to move back home when you're 30 and have a bairn and the folks are older but heck me, these 20 year olds who want to go back home? pathetic s**t.
Melbourne to Geelong road traffic is too much for some.
Fact is, everyone is different.
I’m sure there’s something about you people like. The rest of us may just think you’re a space cadet.

Melbourne to Geelong road traffic is too much for some.
Fact is, everyone is different.
I’m sure there’s something about you people like. The rest of us may just think you’re a space cadet.
don't talk to me about traffic, city of Casey is the worst place for it on the planet bar none

Back