Opinion Sydney Swans Academy and Rebuild

Academies, friend or foe

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Voted the first one, as it isn't really a decent concession now, not sure why we have to spend so much draft capital after basically creating a player. Not like we have all the third party deals, home grand finals and go home of other states.

Just keep them out of the draft if we want them,

I don't mind the academies. Interstate teams need priority access to talent that is likely to stay and we need to grow the game to accommodate all these teams.

It's the points system that needs to be overhauled.

It's silly to stockpile a bunch of dogshit picks and somehow make it a 1st/2nd rounder.
No disagreement from most Northern fans on that I think. It's a flawed system.

I've long been in favour on moving to a completely point based system for both drafting and trading. It makes player movement far easier and gets rid of these ridiculous, complicated multi club trade and removes the stupid points vs picks system for academy and f/s selections.

think its a pretty weak argument to say that swans need academies to get players who will stay and then on the flip side they were able to attract player like franklin purely because they werent in victoria.

The swans dont seem to have an issue attracting top end talent, grundy and taylor adams this year as further examples.

Their access to academy players in the first round is an unfair advantage just as their cola allowance was prior to the buddy franklin signing.

Either all clubs should have access to academies or no clubs should, with the exception to expansion clubs who havent yet had the time to have enough past players to have access to father sons/daughters.

What is the difference between the swans having an academy in sydney and another vic team having an academy in say NT. If both are helping to develop local talent that would otherwise not have the opportunity or access to necessary training and pathways to making to the elite level, then what does it matter?

Give all clubs the same access to academy picks eg from first round onwards and then clubs will be more incentivised to invest in their academies. Better for the comp, better for the kids, better for the clubs.

Every club has an academy

Seems weird how Nick Blakey was an academy product, when his father played over 350 games for 2 clubs.

According to Wikipedia, he did AusKick and played junior football too.

I thought academies were meant to be for players from non-traditional backgrounds. I.e. Did not play the game until late, came from another sport etc.

How do players like this qualify?
Moved to Sydney when he was 6 years old when his father became involved with the Club.
Played all his junior footy in the Eastern Suburbs before progressing to the Sydney Swans Academy.

At the time of the draft, Blakey had a choice of three possible clubs.
North Melbourne (via Father/Son), Brisbane (also via Father/Son) and Sydney (via development via the Academy)

It was his choice as to which of the 3 options he preferred.
Had he chose either North melbourne or Brisbane he would have gone to his Club of choice and not Sydney.

Given his family was still in Sydney, he chose to start here.

If it’s ‘private’ then how do you know about it? Chinese whispers?

From a recruiter at another club who wanted to remain anonymous. I'm guessing a recruiter from another interstate club who were interested in drafting Josh.

Could be rubbish obviously.

This is cute…delusional, but cute, nonetheless
Failmantle
1716076899742.png

Googled Fremantle NGA Players
  • 2022 Drafted. Josh Draper. Peel Thunder. Conrad Williams. Claremont/Halls Creek.
  • 2021 Drafted. Eric Benning. Claremont/Kununurra. Jesse Motlop. Carlton FC.
  • 2020 Drafted. Brandon Walker. East Fremantle/Ghana. Joel Western. ...
  • 2019 Drafted. Liam Henry. Derby. Leno Thomas. ...
  • 2018 Drafted. Jason Carter. Wyndham. FFC MAJOR PARTNERS.

:think:

Every club has an academy
except only the northern clubs can match bids before pick 40. I have no issue with the academies. i think they are great. I just think it should be more equitable, with exception to gws and gc who have less access to father sons than other clubs.

Purely because?? You don't think maybe, perhaps, the 9-year $10 million contract didn't sway his decision?
The Swans are certainly capable of attracting a top star, just like many other AFL clubs. But they usually have to pay a premium, which in turn effects list management with other players getting squeezed out.
Hawks offered him like 8mil over 7 years or something like that. Franklin wanted to leave melbourne for sydney to not be in the spotlight as much. The AFL also wanted franklin to join gws, hence sydney losing cola as a result of their coup.

Failmantle
View attachment 1993260

Googled Fremantle NGA Players
  • 2022 Drafted. Josh Draper. Peel Thunder. Conrad Williams. Claremont/Halls Creek.
  • 2021 Drafted. Eric Benning. Claremont/Kununurra. Jesse Motlop. Carlton FC.
  • 2020 Drafted. Brandon Walker. East Fremantle/Ghana. Joel Western. ...
  • 2019 Drafted. Liam Henry. Derby. Leno Thomas. ...
  • 2018 Drafted. Jason Carter. Wyndham. FFC MAJOR PARTNERS.

:think:

You’re half way there.
See the bit under Jesse Motlop, then google Mitch Edwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

except only the northern clubs can match bids before pick 40. I have no issue with the academies. i think they are great. I just think it should be more equitable, with exception to gws and gc who have less access to father sons than other clubs.
Wasn't that changed after the JUH uproar?

Yes it was…except for the northern academies.

And it’s bull tish
Dominant code in northern states is?

2 new developing clubs without benefits of F\S are where?

Northern Academies funded by who?

AFL ignored\neglected youth development and growth in the Northern states for, well ever.

AFL ignored\neglected youth development and growth in the Northern states for, well ever.
gc and gws are the exception. the other north clubs have same fs access as the rest of the clubs.

1. Frankly don’t care
  2. We’ve had one father son in 30 years…next.
  3. WA Football funded by whom? Do we get priority access to WA players? Nope
  4. Rest of Comp academies funded by whom for less benefit?
Sydney in particular is able to trade player in at will. And I won’t accept that Gold Coast or Sydney for that matter can have guaranteed priority to 4 top 25 level players in one year while we have to pay normal draft picks or be denied.

That, can quite frankly, get ****ed

sydney, gws, gc, brisbane can match any bid. vic teams can only match bids over pick 40. not all get the same benefit.
Not all have the same

A Investment
B Restrictions (lack of F\S [2])
C Operate in non traditional states
D Have had AFL ignore investment & development in their states

(see earlier posts)

Happy for the AFL to fully funds all NGA's and Academies, remove priority access so long as they also remove F\S (outdated and distorts the draft) and stops players from taking (via stating they want to stay at home) and making all talent available across the draft.

Also remove the benefits for crapness in Priority Picks (North Recently as an example) and additional picks.

You know, remove all the problems.

1. Frankly don’t care
  2. We’ve had one father son in 30 years…next.
  3. WA Football funded by whom? Do we get priority access to WA players? Nope
  4. Rest of Comp academies funded by whom for less benefit?
Sydney in particular is able to trade player in at will. And I won’t accept that Gold Coast or Sydney for that matter can have guaranteed priority to 4 top 25 level players in one year while we have to pay normal draft picks or be denied.

That, can quite frankly, get ****ed
LOL trade ban for signing a Free Agent ring a bell?

Stuffed our recruitment for years.

But your fist line says it all Lach.

gc and gws are the exception. the other north clubs have same fs access as the rest of the clubs.

Except for example Josh Dunkley was available to Sydney as a F\S but not drafted to his vocal call of not wanting to leave Victoria.

As I said, its a romantic, outdated draft compromise that should also be removed.

Back