Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe: CROWS 2021 RUMOURS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Talia had the desire to leave to play his last couple of years at a Melbourne club of his choice I'd have no problems with it. Has been a stalwart, ultimate professional and has had multiple opportunities to leave earlier.

Having said that I hope he stays because Butts, Murray, McPherson and Borlase still need lots of coaching and development.

Am i cynic, or is there something in Talia and Crouch’s extended injury lay offs, in that we’re happy not to play them, and they’re happy to get their bodies right for their new clubs?

Maybe for Crouch but can't see it for Talia.

What is the benefit of getting his body right for another club? We'd be lucky to get an end of second round pick for him as a free agent if he left

If Talia had the desire to leave to play his last couple of years at a Melbourne club of his choice I'd have no problems with it. Has been a stalwart, ultimate professional and has had multiple opportunities to leave earlier.

Having said that I hope he stays because Butts, Murray, McPherson and Borlase still need lots of coaching and development.
It wouldn't surprise me if Geelong made a play. 1 last dad for the army.

Plus their Key position defensive stocks are shockingly thin. Especially when Blivac's is forced into the ruck (which seems to be in pretty much every game)

It wouldn't surprise me if Geelong made a play. 1 last dad for the army.

Plus their Key position defensive stocks are shockingly thin. Especially when Blivac's is forced into the ruck (which seems to be in pretty much every game)

Geelong and the Hawks would be all over him, it'd bre Clarkos last dash at getting another flag with his list

Sort of.

Neither have shown much at the level
True, but last year was a strange year and very doubtful Stephens will break into the Sydney midfield this year. And imagine if we effectively traded them for each other at the end of this year......late 2nd rounder for McAsey which was used for Stephens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talia has pushed himself to breaking point.
Nicks was very non perplexed about waiting until the end of the yr in regards to his contract.
Wouldn't be surprised if both club and Talia have already agreed he looks elsewhere if that's what he wants.
He has been great for us but he also has limitations in terms of intercept marking and disposal (short and sideways)

Nicks was very non perplexed about waiting until the end of the yr in regards to his contract.
Wouldn't be surprised if both club and Talia have already agreed he looks elsewhere if that's what he wants.
He has been great for us but he also has limitations in terms of intercept marking and disposal (short and sideways)
He has never had speed of ball movement from hand or foot

Very few fullbacks are.

He's an elite fullback - the absolute elite are the ones who can not only dominate the gun forwards (which Talia has done for the bulk of his career) defensively, but then be an attacking weapon as well; and there are very few of them.

Problem wasn't Talia being defensive, it was surrounded him with other plays in less crucial roles who also struggled offensively (Hartigan, Kelly and even Brown/Mackay at times).

I wouldn't read too much into that. Apparently with Talia's last contract, he didn't bullshit the club or mess around playing them off against other Clubs to drive his price up. He approached them with a figure (I think around $750K), said that's what he thought he was worth, and that was that. He's probably waiting to see how his body holds up, how the Crows perform, etc.

The guy is an ultimate professional, maybe not the most flashiest/loved Crows player of the last decade, but he'd be my most respected and admired.

I hope he hangs around, as he is a genuine professional and leader, in every way, but I can also understand if he wants to chase one last pay day or shot at glory; certain it will be positive and amicable, no matter the outcome.

Very few fullbacks are.

He's an elite fullback - the absolute elite are the ones who can not only dominate the gun forwards (which Talia has done for the bulk of his career) defensively, but then be an attacking weapon as well; and there are very few of them.

Problem wasn't Talia being defensive, it was surrounded him with other plays in less crucial roles who also struggled offensively (Hartigan, Kelly and even Brown/Mackay at times).

I wouldn't read too much into that. Apparently with Talia's last contract, he didn't bullshit the club or mess around playing them off against other Clubs to drive his price up. He approached them with a figure (I think around $750K), said that's what he thought he was worth, and that was that. He's probably waiting to see how his body holds up, how the Crows perform, etc.

The guy is an ultimate professional, maybe not the most flashiest/loved Crows player of the last decade, but he'd be my most respected and admired.

I hope he hangs around, as he is a genuine professional and leader, in every way, but I can also understand if he wants to chase one last pay day or shot at glory; certain it will be positive and amicable, no matter the outcome.
I'm very much anti Crows players staying around the club, but Talia is the exception for me. He's never been one to tow the company line and tells it like it is. He'd be great to stay around and coach the young guys, especially in the SANFL team to start with.

I'm very much anti Crows players staying around the club, but Talia is the exception for me. He's never been one to tow the company line and tells it like it is. He'd be great to stay around and coach the young guys, especially in the SANFL team to start with.

Became a favourite after his B&F speech that I still think was one of the catalysts to Sando being sacked.

Became a favourite after his B&F speech that I still think was one of the catalysts to Sando being sacked.

I can't help but think he played a big part in the review and certain individuals being sacked also.

Very few fullbacks are.

[/QUOTE

Great post with valid points.
His attributes are well known but if his body does start to limit his ability to either get on the park or play at a very high level on it then discussions need to be had.
We have a new breed of guys that need games, now is the time to do it.
Talia playing for 2 yrs at 70% isn't winning us our next flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back