Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

narrative was they needed a replacement & the pick trade
we offered 2nd, they wanted a 1st
ended up with collingwood's 2nd this year. So unlucky for them.

pick 25 v. who even knows this year now.
That’s my point though they were saying they weren’t trading him unless they got extreme overs. McCartney just a sour person
Now they walk away with pick 40 odd for him

I’d take what we got for daniher anyday of the week. Not unhappy about his compo at all. Don’t think he’s play at a level where we got significant unders either.
What did we get for raz again? A 2nd rounder
2nd and 3rd i think. a year earlier i reckon a 1st is on the table. but that's speculation.

major issue with Daniher (for me) was knocking 2x 1sts back, wherever they were, without him signing an extension
carlton 1st in '19 was split and could have gone on Dev (who we made a play at) & Georgiades (who Dodoro says we were keen on)
F1 may have slid so may have been what we got anyway. Perkins (our pick), cox (saad), Reid (swans pick)

but to your original point, i also think GWS were making a bit of a stand.

A timely reminder that Lions and us were both in similar situations at the end of 2016 but they built a better list
They were absolutely tripe with a full list
We had the top ups

From 2016 draft onwards they got McCluggage, Berry, the Big O, Charlie Cameron, Neale, Rayner, Bailey, Ashcroft, Fletcher, Starcevich, Payne, Lyons, McCarthy, Ah Chee, Robertson, Coleman, Daniher, McKenna, Dunkley and Wilmot - that's 19 of the 25 that were in the GF squad and Ashcroft would have if he didn't do his knee.

Just shows what happens when you have a QUALITY LIST MANAGEMENT TEAM

The only thing that gives me some sort of hope for us is that it is so ******* even. When you have frampton running around at full forward and now a premiership player. You push those pricks on Anzac Day and the worst thing was the 3/4 time siren which stopped us in our tracks, it only takes a few tweaks. But then you look at our last month, and reality puts you back in the box.

2nd and 3rd i think. a year earlier i reckon a 1st is on the table. but that's speculation.

major issue with Daniher (for me) was knocking 2x 1sts back, wherever they were, without him signing an extension
carlton 1st in '19 was split and could have gone on Dev (who we made a play at) & Georgiades (who Dodoro says we were keen on)
F1 may have slid so may have been what we got anyway. Perkins (our pick), cox (saad), Reid (swans pick)

but to your original point, i also think GWS were making a bit of a stand.
He missed a lot of 19 though injured. I doubt we would’ve got a first from him.

Yeh 2 1sts but pick 7 also has the value for 2 1sts. I’m going off the presumption that if daniher goes to Sydney he gets right earlier, they win more games (remember they moreorless tanked the last 6-7 weeks by sending everyone in for surgery) and suddenly the f1 in 2020 blows out. I can see why they were worried about getting a f1 off Sydney when you’re sending them a big key forward. Obviously all in hindsight and throw in covid into the mix.

A timely reminder that Lions and us were both in similar situations at the end of 2016 but they built a better list
They were absolutely tripe with a full list
We had the top ups

From 2016 draft onwards they got McCluggage, Berry, the Big O, Charlie Cameron, Neale, Rayner, Bailey, Ashcroft, Fletcher, Starcevich, Payne, Lyons, McCarthy, Ah Chee, Robertson, Coleman, Daniher, McKenna, Dunkley and Wilmot - that's 19 of the 25 that were in the GF squad and Ashcroft would have if he didn't do his knee.

Just shows what happens when you have a QUALITY LIST MANAGEMENT TEAM
tbf despite the rules the AFL allowed them to take coleman after we bid on them, though they've recruited some fantastic players, and developed some good talent too. agree with the rest though, they've traded for some fantastic players like daniher, mkenna, dunkley, mccarthy & neale too, in that time, whereas we've gotten... shiel, stringer, setterfield, weideman, hind, wright, caldwell and kelly.

not to say any of them are particularly dreadful players, but in comparison? i'd take the brisbane players in a heartbeat.

He missed a lot of 19 though injured. I doubt we would’ve got a first from him.

Yeh 2 1sts but pick 7 also has the value for 2 1sts. I’m going off the presumption that if daniher goes to Sydney he gets right earlier, they win more games (remember they moreorless tanked the last 6-7 weeks by sending everyone in for surgery) and suddenly the f1 in 2020 blows out. I can see why they were worried about getting a f1 off Sydney when you’re sending them a big key forward. Obviously all in hindsight and throw in covid into the mix.
I'd take that blow-out if we got 9 in '19
All hindsight of course but there's something not right if you've got a pre agent wanting out, 2 picks on the table AND they arent signing on.

Swans were bottom 4 in both years too. So a chance thats still mcdonald coming in with georgiades and dev.

Alas, this is what comes off list mgmt for so long though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd take that blow-out if we got 9 in '19
All hindsight of course but there's something not right if you've got a pre agent wanting out, 2 picks on the table AND they arent signing on.

Swans were bottom 4 in both years too. So a chance thats still mcdonald coming in with georgiades and dev.

Alas, this is what comes off list mgmt for so long though.
We were going to do the deal if Sydney gave us 5 and 9 though, they weren’t willing to. And as I said swans were very unlucky with injury in 2020, they were expecting to her bottom 4 add in Joey they would’ve been aiming to finish top 6. I can see why getting a future pick blow out would’ve worried essendon.

The AFL keeps giving out bonus picks to a side that thinks signing Zac Fisher up for 4-5 years at $450k is good list management 🤦🏻‍♀️ have they learnt nothing from the Polec debacle

Paddy Dow and Zac Fisher tipped to request trades. Dow is expected to be picked up by Stephen Silvagni’s St Kilda while Fisher has been linked to North Melbourne on a four-year deal, with a trigger for a fifth, on $450,000 a year.
Nothing wrong with 450k but for 2-3 years, 4-5 is laughable 😂😂

Assuming we get all three free agency targets I guess we'd line up like this in Round 1?

Mcgrath Mckay Ridley

Redman Laverde/Reid Merrett

Martin Parish Durham

Gresham Langford Stringer

Menzie Wright Davey Jr

Goldstein Hobbs Caldwell

Bryan Perkins Cox Setterfield

Sub: Tastas/Hind/Heppell/Guelfi

Definitely will need to targets mids and a hbf in the draft as we'd be light on midfield rotations without Shiel. I can't even think who'd be our starting mids in the VFL team with this line up.

CHF and small forwards still a need but I'm inclined to see how Hunter, Jones, Voss, Davey(s), Tex and Menzie go next year before we make any major decisions.

Defense (other than HBF) looks pretty settled although CHB will depend who impresses most in the pre-season out of Laverde, Reid and Hayes (or who doesn't get injured...)

Last edited:
Assuming we get all three free agency targets I guess we'd line up like this in Round 1?

Mcgrath Mckay Ridley

Martin Parish Durham

Menzie Wright Davey Jr

Goldstein Hobbs Tsatas

Bryan Perkins Cox Setterfield

Sub: Hind/Heppell/Guelfi

Definitely will need to targets mids and a hbf in the draft as we'd be light on midfield rotations without Shiel. I can't even think who'd be our starting mids in the VFL team with this line up.

CHF and small forwards still a need but I'm inclined to see how Hunter, Jones, Voss, Davey(s), Tex and Menzie go next year before we make any major decisions.
I'd say Baldwin is ahead of Reid. In fact I'd be surprised if Reid played AFL next year, period.

Mcgrath Mckay Ridley

Martin Parish Durham

Menzie Wright Davey Jr

Goldstein Hobbs Tsatas

Bryan Perkins Cox Guelfi

Sub: Hind/Heppell

Can't see Merrett coming off HB but looks to be close to what we'd be playing round 1 I'd just have Caldwell in there somewhere.

Pending him being fit he 100% plays AFL next year the vision is to have him and Mckay to be the 2 key defenders

I'd rather see him get a full and healthy season without pressure in the VFL than have him getting smashed around playing as a KPD at AFL level.

The bloke is massive and has had issues related to growth that means he's had little continuity for a number of years now. Let's not rush him.

I'd rather see him get a full and healthy season without pressure in the VFL than have him getting smashed around playing as a KPD at AFL level.

The bloke is massive and has had issues related to growth that means he's had little continuity for a number of years now. Let's not rush him.
Partly agree, I think he plays most games in the VFL but he almost definitely will play a few AFL games just to get more games under his belt.

Partly agree, I think he plays most games in the VFL but he almost definitely will play a few AFL games just to get more games under his belt.

Without injuries I don't think there'd be any requirement or expectation that he does, if I was the coaching staff I'd be very clearly playing down the chances of him playing at AFL level and instead have him focused on purely getting his body in good order and getting out on the park each week. Not pushing through any niggles trying to force his way in to the AFL side.

Tom Morris' reporting is disturbing. I've only just seen it.

If we say we've got enough young picks is that:

1. we've got enough young and unproven players on the list we can't rely on; or

2. we've got enough talent in place?

It's clearly 2 because now we're getting impatient to win a final less than 12 months after Brad was adamant about a slow and sustainable build.

Not surprised. Just disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back