Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In defence we have Ridley, Cox (ignore the fact that he's 200cm, he's a flanker), Laverde, Heppell, Redman (kinda medium/small) and Kelly (back pocket but still a medium)
Up forward we have Langford, Perkins, Stringer (plays deeper but he's a marking forward) and Voss (pending contract).

We have a glut, especially in defence.
I want to add to what we have already. I don't see any genuine match winners in that lot apart from 31 y.o Stringer.

Lot of potential but no standouts to take the mantle

I tend to think this helps us be more adventurous all round next season.

McKay doesn't just stand the big boys he has an intercept game while doing it, and it's pack and contested intercept marks.

He can play $800k pa footy. For the money he is now being paid He must stay interested/engaged. If he does that we're looking at a guy who will match and possibly surpass peak Hooker/Carlisle.

What he did against Wright / us second time this season is a very reliable benchmark for his performances. He torched Wright.

With a controlling presence at half back, and opponents #1s engaged we can maybe have more of a look at Reid and Hayes.

I'm dreaming but maybe it means we can free ourselves of Heppell.

It's a really good addition.
I wanna see what Ridley can do with an added bandaid in defence in that 6.

I want to add to what we have already. I don't see any genuine match winners in that lot apart from 31 y.o Stringer.

Lot of potential but no standouts to take the mantle
I do not disagree but you can throw CHF into that as well as flankers. Then you can explosive add DeGoey style midfielder. We will need to keep adding for another 2 or 3 years.

I do not disagree but you can throw CHF into that as well as flankers. Then you can explosive add DeGoey style midfielder. We will need to keep adding for another 2 or 3 years.
Im curious to see how Hunter goes fwd in 2024, and the wildcard seems to be Reid. If a he gets on the park and b if he plays fwd or back (ive heard this story before)

It is an unpopular opinion but I do think we need more bigger, marking and kicking flankers. We don't really have anything between a small and a tall bar a very select few.

Get me a kicking back flanker, get me another marking half forward, id be stoked to start with that

As eth-dog pointed out, we have stacks of these players.

We're not really using any of them in those roles.

Im curious to see how Hunter goes fwd in 2024, and the wildcard seems to be Reid. If a he gets on the park and b if he plays fwd or back (ive heard this story before)
The question mark is Hunter signed ? There are conflicting articles out there about the 6 months and 18 months. Yes we do have some unproven options , Jones is another , but I am still on the lookout just as much as I am looking for strong marking medium players.

The question mark is Hunter signed ? There are conflicting articles out there about the 6 months and 18 months. Yes we do have some unproven options , Jones is another , but I am still on the lookout just as much as I am looking for strong marking medium players.
Caddy your number 1 preference for our first pick?

He was only on a 6-month contract, confirmed in the West Australian (is the only published material, so I'm going with that).

As eth-dog pointed out, we have stacks of these players.

We're not really using any of them in those roles.
I don't think we have stacks of these players. Especially in defence. If we do, we have more questionable ones than certainties to make it. We don't have a kicker in the back half developing (Lord role) so that is one I want filled. Id like to upgrade the snelling role as well with a genuine marking fwd flanker.

Hopefully McKay limits opposition players like Hawkins kicking a bag. Absolutely kills us.

Reid is the interesting one. If he can come good and eventually hold down full back, we have the makings of a very good defence.

Reid, Cox and Baldwin are all a nice compliment to McKay because they’re all comfortable with ball in hand and between the arcs. We saw last year how incisive Baldwin could be when he backs himself to take it forward.

He may still get bags kicked on him but you’d hope his pure presence would mean we can use Ridley in particular more proactively and control games better.

i think it'll start as
mcgrath lavz hind
ridley mckay redman

baldwin will (hopefully) force his way into the side over lavz and (injuries not withstanding) it'll end with
mcgrath mckay hind
ridley baldwin redman

or something like that. i think lavz has served us well but i don't think he should be getting consistent gametime over baldwin

In defence we have Ridley, Cox (ignore the fact that he's 200cm, he's a flanker), Laverde, Heppell, Redman (kinda medium/small) and Kelly (back pocket but still a medium)
Up forward we have Langford, Perkins, Stringer (plays deeper but he's a marking forward) and Voss (pending contract).

We have a glut, especially in defence.

Problem is most of those back players are fringe AFL/VFL level at best. So there’s Ridley and sometimes Redman as AFL standard players who can move the ball out of the backline. (yes I’m deliberately excluding McGrath)

In the forward line Langford is a marking forward. Stringer struggles with the running required to play as a HHF and Perkins is decent but still developing.

Add Martin/Durham to the list and that’s 4 decent flankers on the team when you’d want 7-8

So what's the score atm?

OUTGOING PLAYERS​

TARGETED REPLACEMENTS​

SENIOR LIST
James Stewart (confirmed delisted)Ben McKay, North Melbourne (FA, destination nominated)
Andrew Phillips (confirmed retired)Todd Goldstein, North Melbourne (FA, nothing confirmed)
Dylan Shiel (contracted, reports he & club open to a trade)Jade Gresham, St. Kilda (FA, nothing confirmed)
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher (confirmed trade request)Kaine Baldwin (unconfirmed, must be upgraded)
Alistair Lord (confirmed delisted)Small defender?
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (confirmed retired)Stringer-ish mid/fwd?
Will Snelling (uncontracted, no news yet)Marking HFF?
CATEGORY A ROOKIES
Tex Wanganeen (contracted)Tex Wanganeen (contracted)
Jye Menzie (contracted)Jye Menzie (contracted)
Kaine Baldwin (has re-signed, but must be upgraded)Jaiden Hunter (injury replacement, mid-season rookie)
Massimo D'Ambrosio (uncontracted, contract in front of him)Massimo D'Ambrosio
Patrick Voss (uncontracted, no news yet)?
Rhett Montgomerie (confirmed delisted)?
Jaiden Hunter (uncontracted, must be put on a list to stay)-
CATEGORY B ROOKIES
Cian McBride (confirmed delisted)Cat B rookie pathways?
Anthony Munkara (uncontracted, reportedly will be delisted?)Cat B rookie pathways?
Open Cat B rookie spotCat B rookie pathways?

If it goes this way we're only going to use two picks in the national draft, with Baldwin as a rookie upgrade to satisfy the minimum of 3 requirement (he's out of time on the rookie list I think, would've been eligible for the 2020 draft and was signed via SSP at the start of 2021).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is an unpopular opinion but I do think we need more bigger, marking and kicking flankers. We don't really have anything between a small and a tall bar a very select few.

Get me a kicking back flanker, get me another marking half forward, id be stoked to start with that

We need another midfielder who is tall enough to carry 90+ kg around the distance you'd expect a mid to run AND we need a hard-working CHF AND we need a dynamic small forward. This means my dream (which won't happen) this off-season after getting McKay would be adding Cripps, Mihochek and Bolton to the list might ensure we win 14 games next year!!

While we're at it I'd like Toby Green and Harry McKay to live out their boyhood dreams in the red and black.

As far as tallish flankers/wingmen go we have Langford, Redman, Martin, Durham, Perkins, Heppell and I'd include Cox in there too.

So what's the score atm?

OUTGOING PLAYERS​

TARGETED REPLACEMENTS​

SENIOR LIST
James Stewart (confirmed delisted)Ben McKay, North Melbourne (FA, destination nominated)
Andrew Phillips (confirmed retired)Todd Goldstein, North Melbourne (FA, nothing confirmed)
Dylan Shiel (contracted, reports he & club open to a trade)Jade Gresham, St. Kilda (FA, nothing confirmed)
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher (confirmed trade request)Kaine Baldwin (unconfirmed, must be upgraded)
Alistair Lord (confirmed delisted)Small defender?
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (confirmed retired)Stringer-ish mid/fwd?
Will Snelling (uncontracted, no news yet)Marking HFF?
CATEGORY A ROOKIES
Tex Wanganeen (contracted)Tex Wanganeen (contracted)
Jye Menzie (contracted)Jye Menzie (contracted)
Kaine Baldwin (has re-signed, but must be upgraded)Jaiden Hunter (injury replacement, mid-season rookie)
Massimo D'Ambrosio (uncontracted, contract in front of him)Massimo D'Ambrosio
Patrick Voss (uncontracted, no news yet)?
Rhett Montgomerie (confirmed delisted)?
Jaiden Hunter (uncontracted, must be put on a list to stay)-
CATEGORY B ROOKIES
Cian McBride (confirmed delisted)Cat B rookie pathways?
Anthony Munkara (uncontracted, reportedly will be delisted?)Cat B rookie pathways?
Open Cat B rookie spotCat B rookie pathways?

If it goes this way we're only going to use two picks in the national draft, with Baldwin as a rookie upgrade to satisfy the minimum of 3 requirement (he's out of time on the rookie list I think, would've been eligible for the 2020 draft and was signed via SSP at the start of 2021).
good post
we can pin this and update it as the off-season progresses?

We need another midfielder who is tall enough to carry 90+ kg around the distance you'd expect a mid to run AND we need a hard-working CHF AND we need a dynamic small forward. This means my dream (which won't happen) this off-season after getting McKay would be adding Cripps, Mihochek and Bolton to the list might ensure we win 14 games next year!!

While we're at it I'd like Toby Green and Harry McKay to live out their boyhood dreams in the red and black.

As far as tallish flankers/wingmen go we have Langford, Redman, Martin, Durham, Perkins, Heppell and I'd include Cox in there too.
i can only handle the one McKay pls.

Edwards & Stevens stood out to me today as 2 kids who are big, carrying good weight with good running.
ive only watched highlights, so i can't speak to how long they can do that for in games.

gresham is a smart enough small fwd.

god knows what we're gonna do with CHF. Langford seems the best option tbh.

i can only handle the one McKay pls.

Edwards & Stevens stood out to me today as 2 kids who are big, carrying good weight with good running.
ive only watched highlights, so i can't speak to how long they can do that for in games.

gresham is a smart enough small fwd.

god knows what we're gonna do with CHF. Langford seems the best option tbh.

Langford + Wright + Resting ruckman is my guess, they'll likely want to play Draper with Bryan or Goldstein (if he comes).

In that setting I'd be playing Draper as an impact ruckman with a fair bit of time forward taking forward ruck contests and crashing packs since he does actually throw his weight around.

Langford + Wright + Resting ruckman is my guess, they'll likely want to play Draper with Bryan or Goldstein (if he comes).

In that setting I'd be playing Draper as an impact ruckman with a fair bit of time forward taking forward ruck contests and crashing packs since he does actually throw his weight around.
agree with this
use Goldy/Draper to get that balance right for Draper.
Then replace Goldy with Bryan when he's ready to assume primary ruck duties

Draper and Wright need to find that working relationship for it to work and '23 didn't give us much in the way of exposure for that. Which is a shame, but it feels like pieces are falling into place.

IMO, if we land McKay+Goldy:

SPINE:
x McKay x
McGrath Ridley Redman
Martin Merrett x
Perkins Langford x
x Wright x
Draper Hobbs Parish

FRINGE/DEPTH:
Setterfield, Durham, Caldwell, Menzie, Guelfi, Cox, Baldwin, Hind, Laverde, Weideman, Kelly

PROJECT:
Reid, Tsatas, Davey twins, Bryan, Hayes

AT RISK:
Stringer, Jones, Voss, Wanganeen, Snelling, Hunter

BORROWED TIME:
Heppell, Shiel, Goldstein

A lot of question marks around that spine.
And pretty clear to see where the gaps lie.

Starting 7:

Mcgrath - Lav - Ridley
Redman - Mckay - Hind (N.Cox/Heppell)

Dont rule out the experiment of
Tsatas
Zerrett
Durham(Like FWD of centre/wing)
Tex
Davey

And were almost certain to draft a half back (Plenty)
Windsor
Demattia
A.Roberts
G.Stevens
Harderman
T.Jiath
L.Lual
O.Ryan
Hastie
Philactides
Schoenmaker
B.Wilson (Id have very late/lucky)