Prediction Tall timber down back a massive worry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Keeffe the guy that was getting dropped cause he was a liability for letting the position run rings around him down back? Yeh ok.

Keeffe is the guy who is such a missing link in defence that Buckley had moved him to the forward line during the 14/15 off-season.

Keeffe is the guy who is such a missing link in defence that Buckley had moved him to the forward line during the 14/15 off-season.

This is what concerns me. My recollection of Keeffe in his last games for us was that he performed poorly. Would drop his head when things were going badly down back, panicking, etc.

I would love him to come back and be the saviour of our back line, but I cant see that happening. Also I fear that two years out of the system - not just sidelined with injury, but out of the structured, managed, learning environment of an AFL club - will be too much.

Toovey does better on tall forwards than the shorts imo. He did the job last night and might be our best option for taking the third tall from now on rather than playing 3 tall defenders.

This is what concerns me. My recollection of Keeffe in his last games for us was that he performed poorly. Would drop his head when things were going badly down back, panicking, etc.

I would love him to come back and be the saviour of our back line, but I cant see that happening. Also I fear that two years out of the system - not just sidelined with injury, but out of the structured, managed, learning environment of an AFL club - will be too much.
Thomas and Keeffe should've been let go, I feel the only reason Keeffe was kept is because he was in Buckleys leadership plans which is a mess anyway given Caff can't even get a game too.

Thomas and Keeffe should've been let go, I feel the only reason Keeffe was kept is because he was in Buckleys leadership plans which is a mess anyway given Caff can't even get a game too.
You are definitely right they should have been released both of them,Keeffe in 2012 form would have been Buckley,s leadership plans but I would have terminated both rather than keep them.

Bump. Lose Brown and Frost.

Enter Keeffe eekkkk.
Reid can he go all season again?

Keeffe and Reid. Goldsack? Geez slim pickings.

Keeffe and Thomas will come back and spend a year struggling in the VFL before being delisted.

Frost has been offered a new contract and is almost certain to accept it, so good news there.

Brown will leave.

Keeffe will come in.

SO really we are exactly where we were a week ago, just with Keeffe replacing Brown in the defensive setup.

I doubt Brown would have played every senior game in 2017 anyway, judging by being dropped a few times in 2016, so Keeffe is a direct replacement there, all be it a little different player (better kick, worse one on one).

Tomlinson or Marchbank from the Giants would do nicely, would mean we go into 2017 with a deeper defensive group of key talls then had in 2016.

I'd also consider rookie listing Ryan Pendlebury, most weeks he would play VFL of course anyway, but if we have injuries he could easily replace a medium/tall defender and do a job.

I reckon Keeffe will suit a zoning style defence which is clearly what we tried to do in the early part of the season but failed miserably.

Brown doesn't suit this zoning style defence, which is why he lost his spot early in the season.

Keeffe will suit it because he is a better intercept mark and a much much better kick. Brown struggles with a zone because he is an old fashioned gorilla defender that plays his best on an opponent, and doesn't win the ball.

I think we looked a lot better this year when we played accountable defence. Brown also played better. However, we are the only side in the comp still defending this way, so I reckon Buckley's long term vision is to go back to a more zoning style setup.

Keeffe is not very good one on one, but he is well suited to a zone. He distributes the ball nicely and reads the ball ok.

I'm just worried about the gorillas like Tom Hawkins, Tom Lynch, Josh Kennedy and Jonathon Patton. Brown is still best suited to this role.

He is just such a liability with ball in hand. Teams basically leave him by himself and swarm when he gets it. I think Bucks would prefer a setup with Keeffe, but I'm just worried that we don't zone well enough to cope without Brown.

Bump. Lose Brown and Frost.

Enter Keeffe eekkkk.
Reid can he go all season again?

Keeffe and Reid. Goldsack? Geez slim pickings.
Can we wait until Brown actually decides he wants to leave before saying he's gone please?

As far as I can tell, all I've seen is that North are chasing him and he's excercising his right to consider offers as a free agent. That doesn't actually mean he's gone. In fact I'd be surprised if he left unless he got a ridiculous offer that we wouldn't match, in which case we'd get decent compo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we wait until Brown actually decides he wants to leave before saying he's gone please?

As far as I can tell, all I've seen is that North are chasing him and he's excercising his right to consider offers as a free agent. That doesn't actually mean he's gone. In fact I'd be surprised if he left unless he got a ridiculous offer that we wouldn't match, in which case we'd get decent compo.
Sounds familiar.

Just hope we don't match too high a salary.

Brown doesn't suit this zoning style defence, which is why he lost his spot early in the season.
I don't think Brown is the only one. I can recall Reid getting burnt just as often by this zone. I agree they all looked much better playing on a man rather than a patch of grass.

Just hope we don't match too high a salary.
I doubt we will. You'd imagine though, that Brown would be on about $450k already given he's been our first choice full back for the better part of 6 years and is a vice captain, so it would be a $500k+ offer to dislodge him. I reckon that would net us band 3 (second round) compo, which would be pick 26. That's certainly not a disaster, even if it's not ideal.

Toovey does better on tall forwards than the shorts imo. He did the job last night and might be our best option for taking the third tall from now on rather than playing 3 tall defenders.

Hey doodles98 you gone MIA!

Hope all is well mate! :thumbsu:

I doubt we will. You'd imagine though, that Brown would be on about $450k already given he's been our first choice full back for the better part of 6 years and is a vice captain, so it would be a $500k+ offer to dislodge him. I reckon that would net us band 3 (second round) compo, which would be pick 26. That's certainly not a disaster, even if it's not ideal.

Pick 26 along with picks in the 20s or 30s for cloke and witts doesn't sound too bad. Lots of flexibility to spend at the draft, or on father sons if required, or to package them to trade up to a first rounder

Yeah, prefer Brown to Frost, but not by much.

Pick 26 along with picks in the 20s or 30s for cloke and witts doesn't sound too bad. Lots of flexibility to spend at the draft, or on father sons if required, or to package them to trade up to a first rounder
That's the positive side.
We need an upgrade on Brown or Frost for starting 22 anyway, so maybe the draft picks will help with that.

I don't think Brown is the only one. I can recall Reid getting burnt just as often by this zone. I agree they all looked much better playing on a man rather than a patch of grass.

It's funny, because someone like Reid should suit it down to a tee. He reads the ball so well off the boot, and then he has really good footskills to hurt the side the other way.

Tells me that the structures were wrong up the field as well and the backline got burnt.

Either way, I think Keeffe and Reid would be quite a nice combination and should do well in the air, and also much more trustworthy by foot. The issue is if we need to play man on man, I would trust Brown over Keeffe.

Please listen you guys what is going on we have moved on a strong durable CHF to get what another midfielder Jong ? Ridiculous trading idea
jong can stay at Bulldogs play hard ball and ask for stringer or crameri or NO DEAL
Why should we make our oppostion stronger while our club sinks I REUSE TO SEE ANOTHER YEAR OF COLLINGWOOD SITTING CLOSE TO BOTTOM TABLE.

We want to move frost on who is depth and get rid of NATHAN brown and replacve them with who ?

Ben Reid cant string a full season together and Keefe hasnt played in 2 years what do you expecty from him ?

The games pace thesedays causes players especially kpps to get injuries and many donnot last a full season ?

We cannot rely on MOORE COX AND WHITE TOO FLAKY AND FASOLO AND ELLIOT ARE FAR TOO INJURY PRONE.
These guys can are good when fit but are more injured than not cant win flags like that

We must get out there and target 2-3 solid kp backmen NOT fringe players and get a CHF either ready made like kENNEDY who can kick straight FROM WEST COAST AND WILL SOON BE A FREE AGENT or target a PATTON OR CAMERON OR WRIGHT from Gold COAST Lynch wont leave he'll stay at Gold Coast.

you cant win flags with peripheral players we need a solid base of guns and depth players who play their role not plodders KP players win flags not midfielders kp players are worth gold midielders are dime a dozen many of them............Our midfield is not the problem our forward and backlines are

Fix those areas and we are back on top or tumble further to wooden spooners.

WAKE UP COLLINGWOOD

It's funny, because someone like Reid should suit it down to a tee. He reads the ball so well off the boot, and then he has really good footskills to hurt the side the other way.
Tells me that the structures were wrong up the field as well and the backline got burnt.
Either way, I think Keeffe and Reid would be quite a nice combination and should do well in the air, and also much more trustworthy by foot. The issue is if we need to play man on man, I would trust Brown over Keeffe.
Brown is definitely best man on man but I was thinking, how many forwards are left that would suit Brown?
Forwards seem to be more agile and not many stay at home forwards left in the comp.

Edit: Not saying that Keeffe is necessarily the answer, just asking the question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back