Prediction Tall timber down back a massive worry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are Sydneys CHB and Full back? They are the flag favorites.

My preferred backline over the next few years would be

Maynard Marsh Ramsey
Howe Reid Scharenberg

Add Smith, Landgon,Sinclair and Brown as back ups and there is a good mix and enough talent. They looked crap this year because the defensive structure and organisation is awful but I see that backline as having plenty of potential and could easily be as good or better than Sydneys backline this year.
Ted Richards and Leo Barry two under rated stars. Not sure Sydney will win the flag this year for that reason. Patton and Cameron will kill them in the first final.

I don't think Sydney's defence is good enough to win the flag! They don't have guys like Barry!
I was blinded by the science.
I'll delete my post given it was unfounded.

Ted Richards and Leo Barry two under rated stars. Not sure Sydney will win the flag this year for that reason. Patton and Cameron will kill them in the first final.

Ted Richards has been a very solid but he has been in a system that is well coached. As a player he is not a patch on Ben Reid.

Why cant Marsh turn out to be as good as Leo Barry?

Mobile medium defenders like Howe and Stratton are the new tall backs anyway. The old gorillas are on the way out

Ted Richards has been a very solid but he has been in a system that is well coached. As a player he is not a patch on Ben Reid.

Marsh maybe. But how long can we wait for a flag and will he be the number 1 full back for Collingwood FC and premiership one at that? Long bow.

Marsh maybe. But how long can we wait for a flag and will he be the number 1 full back for Collingwood FC and premiership one at that? Long bow.

We need alot of things to change at the club to win the flag. We did finish 9th after all. All I am saying is I think we have alot more talent down back than we have been showing and if coached well I think we will have a good backline.

As for the Hawks Im tipping them to go out in straight sets. Their backline is cooked. They played us with atleast 6 of our best side , our 3 best forwards out and conceded 110 points. And this is a game they had to win to get a double chance.

I know its fraught with danger writing off a champion side but I just cant see them winning it. It would be the greatest coaching effort of all time if Clarko can turn their horrible form around.

I don't think Sydney's defence is good enough to win the flag! They don't have guys like Barry!
I reckon they are more than covered with Grundy and Rampe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Allir is a an upgrade on Richards. Its unknown players like him which elevate teams to a premiership.

I'm probably wrong but defences are much more mobile these days with mid siz defenders like Howe playing much taller.

Maybe but needs few kilos do we them have the Reid twins or quad twins fwiw I have wanted Sam Reid at Pies for years
Sam Reid is too injury prone and was a better natural forward than back anyway so no I don't
think he's a premiership type of full back.

We need a leader down back like Maxwell and or Shaw. We lack someone that can have them set up in positions when they lapse.

Sorry to intrude guys I am just a bit curious about Tyson Goldsack.
Where does he fit in to your list? Just a VFL player now? Is he cooked at AFL level?

Reid and Brown key positions. Howe, Langdon and Scharenberg offering plenty as third talls. Our tall defenders are fine.

Reid and Brown are both heavily injury prone and Brown is average at best, what happens when one of them does down?

Scharenberg and Langdon are both kids with lots still to prove. Langdon had an impressive debut season but that doesn't guarantee he'll be a great player.

I personally disagree. In 2009 would anyone have picked Brown and Reid to be premiership Full backs and CHB. Both were playing mainly 2s from memory.
Marsh has great pace, reasonable strength, can jump and spoil. There are not too many monster full forwards these days. I'd much rather him continue to develop into this role , rather than have a rebounding defender role as his disposal is not good enough.
Good point. I cant remember that well as to what I thought of Brown and Reid in 2009 exactly.

Magnificent job as Brown did in nullifying Riewoldt in the final, he is a stopper not a match winner. He was pick 14 I think, Reid pick 8. Reid, when fit, is something special, a match winner if all else is equal. I am slowly recognising the change away from gorillas so can see some value/potential/possibility of Marsh as full back/modern day stopper and maybe we can iron out his errors quicker than I think. Either way, even with years under his belt, he will never be a match winner. I think we are going down the path of building a defence on average players, not champions and will end up wondering why our defence doesn't develop above ordinary in years to come.

Sorry to intrude guys I am just a bit curious about Tyson Goldsack.
Where does he fit in to your list? Just a VFL player now? Is he cooked at AFL level?

Go to AFL live and watch the Collingwood v Bulldogs game. He's far from cooked. I hope he is still with us next season, but he is fringe 22.

Reid and Brown are both heavily injury prone and Brown is average at best, what happens when one of them does down?

Scharenberg and Langdon are both kids with lots still to prove. Langdon had an impressive debut season but that doesn't guarantee he'll be a great player.

Brown, Reid and Howe form a guaranteed trio back there. Reid is a-grade and Howe is close to that off this season. You have a bent against Brown, so it's almost not worth getting drawn in to an argument with you about it. You're a broken record and off the mark. All I'll say is he is a good reliable defender, who offensively should play to his limits.

I'm bullish about Langdon and Scharenberg. Both have shown AFL qualities. Keeffe, Frost, Marsh provide key position depth. Goldsack depth as a third tall. It isn't even an issue.

Our issues in defense are more about durability than anything. And maybe a quality half back distributor. I'm hoping Scharenberg and Ramsay can help out here.

Allir is a an upgrade on Richards. Its unknown players like him which elevate teams to a premiership.

I'm probably wrong but defences are much more mobile these days with mid siz defenders like Howe playing much taller.

Your not wrong at all which is why I think Marsh is the one who should be developed as our full back. Their are not too many big strong contested marks left in the game hence the big strong full backs are not as crucial as they used to be.

Mobility , smarts and being part of a well organised defence if far more important these days than being 2 metres tall.

Marsh has a way to go but he can jump and spoil, he has a very good pair of hands and is very quick. Not a bad base to work on if you ask me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back