Votes: 19 6.0%
  • Devils

Votes: 270 85.4%
  • Tasmanian Tigers

Votes: 27 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Axemen by far the best suggestion in this thread so far

Will surely be the Devils though, however uninspiring.

Go for something more modern.

NO ANIMAL NAMES

The Big Bash took this approach in 2011, and strictly stipulated that no teams were to be named after animals, and I think the branding for the Big Bash has been a big success.

For new franchises, I tend to like the "non physical noun" names. Port went this way when they chose Power. The Storm, went this way also, in 1998. Something like that is a bit more modern and a bit more 21st century for marketing purposes.

American teams started to go down this path in the late 80's early 90's with names like Magic and Heat, and it has been generally well received by younger people who tend to like those names.

Nahhhh. The Hobart Hurricanes is a stupid. Not only does Hobart not experience Hurricanes, they don't even occur in our hemisphere.

Devils is a no brainer and is the perfect name for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Devils would be fine/good, if it wasn't so similar to the Demons, and it made any sense with the colour green (which they absolutely should be). don't love that the NBL have already basically done it either, but that was a while ago now, so fair enough.

Axemen doesn't work for a future AFLW team, would need to be something else on that theme.

Last edited:
Go for something more modern.

NO ANIMAL NAMES

The Big Bash took this approach in 2011, and strictly stipulated that no teams were to be named after animals, and I think the branding for the Big Bash has been a big success.

For new franchises, I tend to like the "non physical noun" names. Port went this way when they chose Power. The Storm, went this way also, in 1998. Something like that is a bit more modern and a bit more 21st century for marketing purposes.

American teams started to go down this path in the late 80's early 90's with names like Magic and Heat, and it has been generally well received by younger people who tend to like those names.
Turn it up.

Look at rubbish like Melbourne Heart.

What's next, the Tasmania Brave?

Look at the nonsense in the WNBA.

The rule should be reversed and it should be animals only. None of this abstract claptrap.

1629893908789.png

Tassie Devils is obviously best but too similar to Melbourne Demons to pass muster with AFL House. How about the Islanders?
The AFL are fine with it. They own the trade mark and have already rolled it out with our under 18s team.

When the new brand was announced it was described as being the brand for all future Aussie rules football teams representing Tasmania. There's no point brainstorming team names. It's already decided.

Back