Discussion Teams Who Use Obvious Emblems & Those Who Don't

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the cats?
If I recall they were originally black, and named because their mascot was a local cat, I’ll see if I can find the history

Well I was close

Geelong was nicknamed the 'Cats' in 1923 after a run of losses prompted a local cartoonist to suggest that the club needed a black cat to bring it good luck. Soon after, during a match a black cat ventured on to the ground. Geelong won that match, breaking the losing streak. Geelong has ever since been known as the Cats.

Apparently they were also nicknamed the Pivotonians and Seagulls. I think cats is slightly better ;p

Clubs near me have the opposite problem where their nicknames are lazy bordering on comical like the Dunnstown Towners and the Creswick Wickers.
I don't mind those names tbh. Better than just recycling VFL/AFL mascots.

Adelaide Crows is one that frustrates me, albeit irrationally, given that most birds that are referred to as crows are actually Australian Ravens.

Adelaide Ravens also just has such a badass sound to it, although not sure Camry Ravens rolls off the tongue quite as well.

Bit odd also that the name was chosen as a nod to the old "Crow-eater" moniker. Kinda makes it seem like the Adelaide team are eating themselves, if anything.

Adelaide Redbacks would have been cool, though obviously I grabbed that from the cricket team mascot.

Dandenong Stingrays
My Gravatt Vultures
Wilston Grange Gorillas
Noarlunga Shoes

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Dandenong Stingrays were originally known as the Southern Stingrays in 1992-1994 and based in Mordialloc which is on the coast, so this and the alliteration is probably the reason Stingrays was chosen for the team. They were rebranded as the Dandenong Southern Stingrays from 1995 onwards when the Dandenong Redlegs along with Prahran and Oakleigh left the VFA at the end of 1994 to take up Under 18 licenses, and the Stingrays moved their operations to Dandenong's Shepley Oval.

Good examples of relevant emblems/mascots

• Essendon Bombers - airport in Essendon, even if it’s not military, a solid choice
  • Fremantle Dockers - port city, many dock workers, good stuff
  • Gold Coast Suns - makes sense, even if the rest of the brand leaves a lot to be desired
  • Hawthorn Hawks - even if there’s probably no hawks in Hawthorn it’s nice alliteration
  • St Kilda Saints - super obvious choice, does the job
  • West Coast Eagles - identity built around how much flying needed to be done, and wedge tailed eagles are in abundance in WA

In the A League the new team MacArthur Bulls from South-Western Sydney deserve credit for having a proper emblem instead of the insipid intangible emblems most of the clubs in this league have, but surely MacArthur Rams would have been more appropriate, given John MacArthur was an Australian agricultural pioneer who established the Merino flock in Australia.

Were the Carlton Blues named after their supporter base/traditionally being blue collar workers back in the 1800s or is that way off?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were the Carlton Blues named after their supporter base/traditionally being blue collar workers back in the 1800s or is that way off?
I think it's literally just that they wore blue, and it stuck unlike other colour based names like Footscray being the tricolours.

SANFL:
Central District Bulldogs - lots of English migrants in the 50s-70s, so makes sense
Glenelg Tigers - 'cos black & yellow. I prefer their other nickname The Bays (for Holdfast Bay)
North Adelaide Roosters - the Lairds of North Adelaide would shoot any such creatures (or hound the Council into controlling them)
Norwood Redlegs - they have red socks, and once had red hose, so fair enough
Port Adelaide Magpies - lots of Maggies down our way!
South Adelaide Panthers - I guess some panthers have a navy blue hue, but it's a bit of a stretch
Sturt Double Blues - Oxford & Cambridge Universities colours because there are streets with those names in Unley where Sturt is based. So Unley
West Adelaide Bloods - abbreviated from "Blood & Tars". Have a wolf emblem and were the wolves at one stage - I preferred that
Woodville-West Torrens Eagles - no eagles in that area for 150 years I reckon, and certainly no blue/yellow/green ones!

Carlton won its first trophy, the South Yarra Challenge Cup in 1871, captained by Jack Donovan and wearing a dark blue cap - the origin of the Blues, the Old Dark Navy Blues. From The Clubs The Complete History of Every Club in the VFL/AFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can’t stand geelongs nickname. Cats is so meek.
The name comes from someone suggesting they needed a little bit of luck to win games.
Rabbit's foot and Black cats were suggestions for just that little bit of luck.
Then someone started selling Black Cat pins and the name stuck.
All this happened in the seasons leading up to their first VFL flag in 1925.
They were originally the Black Cats, but this was shortened to just Cats.
1615408979811.png

Essendon are named for the Beaufort Bombers housed at Essendon Airport during WW2.
The Beaufort was the first mass produced aircraft in Australia.

Attachments

• 1615409692484.png
    1615409692484.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 19
As a youngster I always thought the VFL Cats weren't nearly as cool as the NBL Supercats.

I still don't know what a supercat is, but it gave the basic cat moniker a wonderful bit of oomph.
In local basketball as kids we played against the Wildcats. And I hated them, they were always the best :(

Local Sydney afl Junior side uses the magpie stripes but are known as the greyhounds due to the team being located in the same suburb as Wentworth Park dog track. The magpie stripes are used as a "jersey" within greyhound races.

Local Sydney afl Junior side uses the magpie stripes but are known as the greyhounds due to the team being located in the same suburb as Wentworth Park dog track. The magpie stripes are used as a "jersey" within greyhound races.
Oh man. Missed opportunity to rock the hot pink right there!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back