List Mgmt. Ten Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I suppose my yes question would be, why would Port invest significant support to get him medically fixed and then decide to cut him after only 12 months? Would it not be better to give him another full preseason and then make an assessment end of 2016?
Because the 12 months is likely showing its not just another pre-season he needs. You can't always know how players are going to respond to injury as soon as it happens. If was just fitness then rookie listing him and having him work on his fitness over the pre-season and during 2016 makes sense, but if his body isn't coming up, it's just a spot on the list we can use on someone else.

I guess that's that then

Logan retirement headlines eight delistings

retirements

Tom Logan 2006 Rookie Draft, No. 52 overall (originally from Brisbane)
117 AFL games (114 Port Adelaide)
76 SANFL games (36 Port Adelaide)

Kane Cornes2000 AFL Draft, No. 52 overall
300 AFL games
36 SANFL games (at Glenelg)

delistings

Jarrad Redden2008 AFL Draft, No. 54 overall
16 AFL games
47 SANFL games (18 Port Adelaide)

Mitch Harvey2013 AFL Draft, No. 45 overall
28 SANFL games
2015 Port Adelaide SANFL leading goal kicker

Mason Shaw2012 AFL Draft, No. 30 overall
30 SANFL games (23 Port Adelaide)

Sam Russell - rookie2014 AFL Rookie Draft, No. 13 overall
32 SANFL games

Johann Wagner – Category B rookie2014 AFL Rookie Draft, No. 51 overall
13 SANFL games

Daniel Flynn – Category B international rookie2014 AFL Rookie Draft, No. 54 overall
15 SANFL games

http://m.portadelaidefc.com.au/news...ht-list-changes?camefrom=EMCL_771509_32817043

Last edited:
So in summary, we've delisted three flawed but promising key talls and kept a 25 year old 176cm fumbly midfielder with terrible skills, despite the fact that the sub rule is gone and that was the only role that he could play. Fantastic.

So in summary, we've delisted three flawed but promising key talls and kept a 25 year old 176cm fumbly midfielder with terrible skills, despite the fact that the sub rule is gone and that was the only role that he could play. Fantastic.
Will shop him around and if no interest will probably be rookie listed for depth or cut!?

LOL we knew it was gonna happen right

Q: What do Jarrad Redden, Mitch Harvey and Mason Shaw have in common?

A: They are all have the agility of a three toed sloth without any major redeeming qualities to make up for it. Slow, lethargic and poor at defensive work.

No surprises at all that all three are getting delisted. There's more to playing AFL level football than just doing your job - you have to be able to operate within the team structure.

It's a sad indictment on all three players that Howard, Frampton, Austin and Palmer have come in as lower picks and shown more in one season. Zero intensity, that's their problem. Maybe it will click for them at another team that you have to show a desire to want to be an AFL player first and not just assume it's going to happen.
Baseless and disrespectful hyperbole, really.

Suggesting that Redden has no ability is bullshit, he was the best ruckman on our list before he spent the best part of 18 months in rehab. To suggest that he has no desire, similarly, is bullshit. A player doesn't come back from this or this, if they have no desire. No disrespect to any of the first-year players that you named, but they've played a combined total of 0 AFL games. How you can think that any of these players have shown more than Redden ever has, is actually kind of astounding. If Redden goes, he does so having given the most that one could reasonably expect of him.

Mason Shaw, only drafted in 2012, spent the entirety of his first season in either South Adelaide's bottom placed reserves side or South Adelaide's second-to-bottom league side. He managed to average a touch over 2 goals a game in the reserves side, and whilst not particularly impressive for the league side, did kick 3 goals against Glenelg. Probably not fair to draw too much from Shaw's 2013 season, considering the shitty systems that were in place.

He was placed on the LTI list and missed the first 7 weeks of 2014 due to a wrist injury. He kicked 6 goals against WWT in his third game back from injury, followed by 3 against West and another 3 against Sturt. Understandably, plenty on here were excited by his form and were calling for his inclusion in the AFL side. He finished the season with 25 goals from 14 games. Certainly seemed to be showing ability, from my perspective. This year, clearly, was a write-off. He played less than half of the season because of injury, and when he was in the side, he (for some strange reason) spent most of his time in defence.

I can't say with any certainty that Mason has the requisite desire to make it in the AFL, but you definitely haven't offered anything to show otherwise. Your assertion that Shaw has "the agility of a three toed sloth without any major redeeming qualities to make up for it. Slow, lethargic and poor at defensive work." is completely off the mark. For a 197cm, 95kg third year player, he moves well. He's an excellent kick for goal and can take a mark. Granted, his forward-pressure in 2014 was poor. How Mason could be seen as talentless and lazy though, has me baffled. It's a stretch to say that any of our first-year players have shown more than him, considering his purple patch in June last year.

Mitch Harvey also has ability. I have doubts as to whether that ability can be translated to AFL level. To assume that this is simply due to a lack of desire, rather than Mitch not quite being in the right mould (physically) to make it, is kind of illogical. In his two years on our list, he's played 38 games and kicked 45 goals, despite playing in the ruck for a significant amount of this time. To be fair, Harvey is slow, he's not agile and his defensive work isn't great. But lethargic is certainly not a word that I'd use to describe Mitch, and like Shaw, he can take a mark and is an excellent kick for goal. Once again, it's a stretch to say that any of our first-year players have shown more than Harvey, when you consider that he's played two consistent seasons, compared to:
- 12 games from Howard in which he's shown very little;
- a very patchy but exciting half a season from Frampton;
- a somewhat inconsistent, but promising season from Jesse Palmer and
- an exciting, but patchy half a season from Logan Austin.

Despite all of this, I agree that Redden (due to injury) and Harvey don't have what it takes to make it at AFL level. I'm not so convinced that delisting Shaw is the best idea, although perhaps he is seen as too prone to injury.

It's just a little dick-ish to insult the work ethic of these three guys, when really, you've got no idea about how much, or little, they put in.

Could still be more delistings to come

Mitchell should go buy a lottery ticket
This to infinity and beyond at least Saw and Redo can claim injury derailed them

Mitchell is a big trier but he is a light framed outside mid with sub par disposal something that generally is cyanide for an outside player

Clearly one of Kern's love children

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will shop him around and if no interest will probably be rookie listed for depth or cut!?

There was far more chance of another club trading us something for an injury prone but talented tall like Shaw or Redden than there is of a club trading us something for Mitchell. Plenty of clubs need tall depth. No AFL club needs a 176cm 25 year old fumbly midfielder with terrible skills.

If Freo don't snap up Shaw as a delisted free agent, I'd be shocked. Someone might rookie Redden too.

It could be the start not the end

The eight changes are the first made by the club for the next two months, with the AFL’s trade and free agency periods, and national, pre-season and rookie drafts to come by the end of the year.

They obviously reckon the 5 they have cut today - ie Cornes, Logan and Flynn were always going to be delisted - cant be traded away for anything. There are 3 to 6 players who might be offered up for a trade. Young, Moore, Mitchell, Stewart, The Hoon might be put up as a possible trade.

So 40-4 (Cornes, Shaw, Harvey, Redden) = 36 on the main list + Sammy upgraded = 37
4 - 3 (Gray ugraded, Russell cut and Logan retires) rookies = 1 rookie => Krak
2 - 2 (Flynn Wagner)Category B rookies = 0

* cant believe they have cut both Harvey and Shaw, would have kept one of them. Feel sorry for Reddo. If we dont rookie him we have to pick up a ruck on the rookie list. So are they saying they have no trade value? I thought Freo were keen on getting Shaw. Guess they can get him for nothing.

Harvey always came across as a slower, less agile michael wundke. Horrid pick.

Its a shame about shaw. Really wanted him to make it.

Don't care how allowed cross thread quoting is but

Defs: Cornes, Butcher, Logan*, Russell*
Maybe: Moore, Shaw, Harvey, Schulz, Redden, Wagner*

There's 10 right there.

Is this srs?

Yes.

Logan, Cornes, Redden, Harvey, Shaw, Russell, Wagner aren't here anymore.

Butcher, Schulz and Moore (+Mitchell) are still unaccounted for.

Yes, I did just do this to pat myself on the back.

Shaw looked like a stick figure in that last match he played for the maggies, 3 years on the list and still rail thin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back