Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Stupendous

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Amazing

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I love him

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters

Tex has stepped down. More here https://m.afc.com.au/news/2019-09-04/walker-steps-down-as-captain

Apr 1, 2011
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NAFC
Experienced forward Taylor Walker has decided to step down as captain of the Adelaide Football Club.
Walker, who is among only eight Crows men's players to have formally been appointed to the role, has led the team for the past five seasons and shared the duties with Rory Sloane this year.

He was appointed in 2014 by then Senior Coach, the late Phil Walsh, and has since twice been voted by his peers as the AFL’s best captain.

Walker said the time was right for someone else to the lead the Club with him in the twilight of his playing career.

The 29-year-old added he would always be grateful for the opportunity, and would now focus on enjoying his footy and spending time with his family.

“It has been a great privilege to lead this Club for the last five years, through some great times and some very sad and challenging times,” Walker said.

“It has made me realise what's really important in my life - family, mateship and making the most of the time we have in the game we all love.

“The role has helped me grow, mature, learn and seek to understand others’ views but most of all I’ve enjoyed the challenge of leading this football club.”

Crows Senior Coach Don Pyke said he respected Walker’s reasons for stepping down, adding the forward should take great pride in the way he had led the Club.

“From the day I arrived, Taylor has been a great leader who has helped and inspired his team mates, coaches and staff,” Pyke said.

“He has also been a tremendous support to me as Senior Coach and not only shown genuine care for all of those inside the Club, but also the wider community with some of his charity work.

“He will continue to offer advice and play a key role in developing our next generation of leaders, and I look forward to seeing what more he can achieve on-field.”

Crows Chairman Rob Chapman said Walker should be held in the highest regard for leading the Club during some of its most trying times.

“The captaincy is a coveted position and one of the highest honours a player can receive from his Club, and Taylor has carried himself very well,” Chapman said.

“I have watched him inspire those around him, and grow and mature as a person and leader both on and off the field.

“He should be proud of what he has achieved as a captain and his passion for the Club is second to none.”

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
No matter what the haters say, he was voted best captain in the league by his peers twice.

Served us well in the role but his time there is up
And did it through one of the toughest periods a captain will ever know in this league.

Doesn’t deserve half the s**t heaped on to him on a daily basis, it’s disgusting.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
He has a good run despite what the Crocmedia tabloid "journalists" suggest.

Twice voted best captain by the players. That means more than anything Kano or Caro can fling at him.

Enjoy the next couple of years without the added burden .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wonder if this was the opinion of the playing group and he was pushed via feedback from the review.
OR he made the call in the best interests of the Club.

Jesus footy supporters give me the shits sometimes.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
He knows he wasn't going to be Captain anyway next year so better to go out your own way.

He has been a good Captain but I think he has struggled the last two years holding the club corporate line which wasn't always the thoughts of the playing group. The club is to blame more so than Tex for that but I think that meant at times the players questioned his leadership.

I think with the Captaincy gone, he will have a big year in 2020.

Legz

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
He knows he wasn't going to be Captain anyway next year so better to go out your own way.

He has been a good Captain but I think he has struggled the last two years holding the club corporate line which wasn't always the thoughts of the playing group. The club is to blame more so than Tex for that but I think that meant at times the players questioned his leadership.

I think with the Captaincy gone, he will have a big year in 2020.
Listening to Tredda's on Tuesday, he won the Bnf the year after giving up captaincy, said it gave him a new lease and removed a heap of stress. Also highlighted Travis Boak's renewed form after giving up the captaincy.

Hopefully we see a similar rebound with Tex.

Been a great Captain!!

And did it through one of the toughest periods a captain will ever know in this league.

Doesn’t deserve half the s**t heaped on to him on a daily basis, it’s disgusting.

I will always remember a commentator gushing over Jobe Watson when he was retiring, saying something like no other captain has had as hard a time as captain as what Jobe did.

I love Tex. Always have, always will. I hope he feels proud for what he achieved as captain because I sure as hell am, even if the whole f'n world was against him for the last 2 years.

Last edited:

cedric

Debutant
Oct 2, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
No doubt hasn’t coped with the burden of the GF. He didn’t have a good one that day but sure as hell wasn’t on his own. Up until that point he was held in a completely different light. Was a fantastic leader.

Back