Thanks a million: AFL club memberships hit all-time record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? Eagles would easily be on top, MCG tenants' members can just rock up without having to pay extortionate fees for reserved seat memberships.

Reflects the supply & demand of the Melbourne market - remember the Eagles pump $millions every year into WA footy & the WA footy public pay the going rate.

Why? Eagles would easily be on top, MCG tenants' members can just rock up without having to pay extortionate fees for reserved seat memberships.

I guess it depends what these magical numbers are actually measuring isn’t it?

Are the Richmond supporters in this thread crowing because of the amazing 100k+ fully dedicated supporters they have or would they have no where near the amount of people committing $500+ a year to the ‘cause’ as the Eagles?

I’m honestly not sure how it works and how that 100k breaks down (or our 90k)

Pretty sure we have around 55k fully seated home members though.

I agree with that, EFC are the other club posting exceptional numbers in Vic, given their recent history.

You would think >90k next year if they made a prelim this year and resign JD.

Pies seem to saturate at 80k-85k despite recent success.

And yet Collingwood is by far the most watched club in the afl!!! Collingwood win a premiership and we will easily over take Richmond

Just a shame they don’t turn up to games.

By far the dumbest comment ive heard in 2019. Tiges have topped the home and away attendances in 3 of the past 4 years and even this year we'll be 2nd, so what do u think that means :think: its not a trick question we do roll up to games and if you took away your hate you would probably see it like most. You really didn't think that post through.

Collingwood win a premiership and we will easily over take Richmond

hahahahahaha delusional much!!! 2010 premiers, 2011 runners up, countless finals and runners up 2018 and still almost 20K behind us but hey u did get 10,000 bandwagoners jump back on this year after 5K jumped ship from 2015-2018 from being out of the finals for only 4 years, 2014-2017 :p

Last edited:
Membership numbers exploded when supporters realised this was the only way their money went to their club, and not the vfl/afl equalization fund.
The huge increase is in fact the peoples vote AGAINST the policies of the AFL, who the vast majority of people detest.
Combined with this being the only way to secure a decent seat at the game, of course membership numbers will go up.
Still, the AFL use the figures to claim the public approve of the way they run our game.

LOL!
A man can dream I suppose.

By far the dumbest comment ive heard in 2019. Tiges have topped the home and away attendances in 3 of the past 4 years and even this year we'll be 2nd, so what do u think that means :think: its not a trick question we do roll up to games and if you took away your hate you would probably see it like most. You really didn't think that post through.

Trust me a team that we have had so much success against throughout the history of football is well down my hate list. Carlton, there is a team on my hate list. The fact is you have over 100,000 members but your average crowds are just over 49,000. That is a frightening figure. Sounds to me like the Tigers are a nice little local brand for home games but are not a national powerhouse.

Collingwood membership total = 85,226

Pies crowd last weekend v.'s Gold Coast = 33,000. Pies crowd v.'s Fremantle (when Pies were 2nd on the ladder) = 41,000.

Yeh probably best not to throw stones.

This is why knowing how many fully ticketed members living within reasonable travel radius (I say 50km) of a club's nominal home ground would be interesting. It may well turn out that a lot of clubs have most pmembers of that type "show up" each home game.

And yet Collingwood is by far the most watched club in the afl!!! Collingwood win a premiership and we will easily over take Richmond
The last decade suggests this isn't the case, cup and runners up results but seem to have maxed out at the 80-90k level.

I do believe EFC will surge through to the 100-110k band if they get to a GF, but like the Tigers, it will max out there.

The Magpies alienated thousands when they walked away from Collingwood and Vic Park. I think once Eddies tenure is done they will focus back on members rather than corporates, head back home to Vic Park, and then you will see your club crack the tonne.

In the final year of the last TV rights deal the AFL ran at a loss ($19mil ?) - just spent $19mil more than it earned.
Looked for a link , no luck, looks like another example of the AFL wiping unfavourable content from Google (the redneck VFL comments by DEmetriou are also absent from Google).

The AFL has the last 14 annual reports easily accessible on its website

The AFL will tend to bank surpluses in the earlier parts of its TV rights cycle but post a deficit in the last year where it is operating on the basis of a large step change in revenues in the next year through a new TV deal it has already signed

From the 2016 annual report

From the 2011 annual report

Ultimately though the AFL (including club's) finances are less dependent on TV rights than most other pro sports as:

-as a share of total revenues they are actually only around ~25% (i.e roughly $400M out of $1.6B)

-it has very strong control over its costs (also compared to other sports) with a low share of revenue based EBA with the players and a strong ability to reduce distributions and tighten football department caps to clubs that have zero private ownership

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last decade suggests this isn't the case, cup and runners up results but seem to have maxed out at the 80-90k level.

I do believe EFC will surge through to the 100-110k band if they get to a GF, but like the Tigers, it will max out there.

The Magpies alienated thousands when they walked away from Collingwood and Vic Park. I think once Eddies tenure is done they will focus back on members rather than corporates, head back home to Vic Park, and then you will see your club crack the tonne.

And yet Collingwood still draw far more people through the gate than Richmond.

Unfortunately for the Tigers they can not compete with Collingwood as a crowd powerhouse.

Membership numbers exploded when supporters realised this was the only way their money went to their club, and not the vfl/afl equalization fund.
The huge increase is in fact the peoples vote AGAINST the policies of the AFL, who the vast majority of people detest.
Combined with this being the only way to secure a decent seat at the game, of course membership numbers will go up.
Still, the AFL use the figures to claim the public approve of the way they run our game.

I will disagree with you Raymond.
Its not the 'only way', and most people believe the supporting your club and supporting the health of the league via equalisation are not mutually exclusive.

It is a peculiar argument to claim increased membership (including AFL membership and Auskick and AFLW membership) is a symptom of the AFL doing something wrong. And if membership went down? would that be the AFL's fault too?

The proposition that 'most people' 'detest' the AFL administration is without evidence. There is always a new generation of kill joy grumblers who have complained about the administration every year since 1897; and yet, here we are: the biggest league in the land. Mmmm.

So, the AFL 'use these figures to claim the public approve of the way they run the game'. To be fair, its not a bad argument, is it? Ratings, Attendance, Membership, Revenue. The public are central to all of those KPI's, so the logic is pretty reasonable that one follows the other. What other metrics would you suggest? The number of supportive posts on Bigfooty? should that be the AFL's key metric?

Trust me a team that we have had so much success against throughout the history of football is well down my hate list. Carlton, there is a team on my hate list. The fact is you have over 100,000 members but your average crowds are just over 49,000. That is a frightening figure. Sounds to me like the Tigers are a nice little local brand for home games but are not a national powerhouse.

I knew this was going to be hard posting to you as you have totally ignored the basis of my post in that the tigers have topped the attendances in 3 of the past 4 years that means people going through the gate nationwide, and this year will finish 2nd so this totally dispels anything that you stated, anyway I'm leaving that part there.

You cant use away games as the main dominator as one team could play high drawing interstate teams to boost up their away attendance (you played west coast at OS) or play interstate sides away with low drawing home support, ie: GC and GWS who we both played away.

Everyone knows that home game attendances are the main dominator and we are No 1.

You seem like you can't grasp simple facts. The fixtures is skewed in the pies favour this year. Tiges have played gold coast away and gws this brings down our away attendance numbers, hence why i said away games isn't the main dominator are you getting this?

Pies only played gws away. You have played ess as the away team on Anzac day and this has bumped up ur away attendance (we don't have that luxury to play ess twice thus denying us a big crowd as the away team. We haven't even played west coast yet.

Here you are critiquing everything Richmond how bout the 33K at your home game V GC doesn't your mob have 85k members?

Last edited:
I knew this was going to be hard posting to you as you have totally ignored the basis of my post in that the tigers have topped the attendances in 3 of the past 4 years that means people going through the gate nationwide, and this year will finish 2nd so this totally dispels anything that you stated, anyway I'm leaving that part there.

You cant use away games as the main dominator as one team could play high drawing interstate teams to boost up their away attendance (you played west coast at OS) or play interstate sides away with low drawing home support, ie: GC and GWS who we both played away.

Everyone knows that home game attendances are the main dominator and we are No 1.

You seem like you can't grasp simple facts. The fixtures is skewed in the pies favour this year. Tiges have played gold coast away and gws this brings down our away attendance numbers, hence why i said away games isn't the main dominator are you getting this?

Pies only played gws away. You have played ess as the away team on Anzac day and this has bumped up ur away attendance (we don't have that luxury to play ess twice thus denying us a big crowd as the away team. We haven't even played west coast yet.

Here you are critiquing everything Richmond how bout the 33K at your home game V GC doesn't your mob have 85k members?

No it is total attendances through the gate and Richmond have never been able to compete with Collingwood. You want to use the ANZAC Day figures to bump up our away game but how about adding that to our home games instead. It is a national game and Richmond just don't get the people through the gates like Collingwood. Even in a premiership year they cannot come close to our best annual years.

Collingwood have played in front of the 7 biggest crowds in history.
-Collingwood have played in 9 of the 10 biggest H and A crowds in history.
-Collingwood have played in 16 of the 20 biggest crowds in Home and Away history.
-Collingwood have played in the biggest Home and Away crowd ever.
-Collingwood has played in the biggest finals crowd in history
-Collingwood has played in the biggest Grand Final crowd in history.
-Collingwood have played in the biggest all time crowd in the history of the game.
-Richmond’s only crowd over 91,000 required Collingwood to be in the game.
-Collingwood has the 2 biggest Home season averages and 4 of the top 5.
- Collingwood has the 5 biggest Away season averages.
- Collingwood has the 5 biggest Home and Away crowd averages in the history of football and 7 of the top 8.

-Collingwood have played in front of more people and in one season than anyone else.
-Collingwood have played in front of more people in the history of the game than anyone else.

Please show me how the Tigers stack up in comparison?

This is why knowing how many fully ticketed members living within reasonable travel radius (I say 50km) of a club's nominal home ground would be interesting. It may well turn out that a lot of clubs have most pmembers of that type "show up" each home game.

Show up factor is more problematic when you have a life, be it a family, a business, a demanding job, even a competing sporting interests. Easy when you are footloose, fancy free ....

No it is total attendances through the gate and Richmond have never been able to compete with Collingwood. You want to use the ANZAC Day figures to bump up our away game but how about adding that to our home games instead. It is a national game and Richmond just don't get the people through the gates like Collingwood. Even in a premiership year they cannot come close to our best annual years.

Collingwood have played in front of the 7 biggest crowds in history.
-Collingwood have played in 9 of the 10 biggest H and A crowds in history.
-Collingwood have played in 16 of the 20 biggest crowds in Home and Away history.
-Collingwood have played in the biggest Home and Away crowd ever.
-Collingwood has played in the biggest finals crowd in history
-Collingwood has played in the biggest Grand Final crowd in history.
-Collingwood have played in the biggest all time crowd in the history of the game.
-Richmond’s only crowd over 91,000 required Collingwood to be in the game.
-Collingwood has the 2 biggest Home season averages and 4 of the top 5.
- Collingwood has the 5 biggest Away season averages.
- Collingwood has the 5 biggest Home and Away crowd averages in the history of football and 7 of the top 8.

-Collingwood have played in front of more people and in one season than anyone else.
-Collingwood have played in front of more people in the history of the game than anyone else.

Please show me how the Tigers stack up in comparison?

Lots of history, might be relevant if you took a snapshot of the AFL era, then its about today. The national comp & television coverage are SO different to the State League era.

What a load of rubbish, seriously you didn't even answer my point please read, absorb and reply.
What part of Richmond topping 3 of the last 4 years "home and away attendances" didn't you get. Last year pies and tiges both top 4 and tiges came out on top.
Last year u made a GF, so you're likely to get to 1.2 mill with a heavily padded future. With gws and gc most teams will find it hard to ever hit 1.3 mill even the pies to do it again. So your mob will still be 100K off that mark from making a GF.

Last year we got 1.95 mill and had we played swans at the G instead of marvel for our home game on a Thursday night where we still got 44k for 1st V 2nd no doubt without question we would've topped 1.2 mill+

Now run along you're unable to comprehend simple logic nor able to comprehend simple facts, you tend to go off on your own tangent to suit your own narrative.

Unfortunately for the Tigers they can not compete with Collingwood as a crowd powerhouse.

That doesn't make any sense. Tigers topping the home and away attendances in last of 3 of 4 years dispels that myth, pies top 4 last year and we still ended up on top.
Guess you didn't go to the prelim last year when the tigers supporters heavily outnumbered the pies, but ill give your lot one thing that hasn't been disputed and many acknowledged that we had the lions share of the crowd, pity we couldn't get the job done on the ground..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back