The 2018 Footy Show - will there be a 2019 version?

Remove this Banner Ad

The one thing both shows have in their favour is that they fill up 2 hours worth of the Australian content quota all channels have to abide by. Much cheaper doing 2 hrs worth of panel show than producing a drama.

Nah, they will just replace it with another reality show, or another season of "The Block".

The Sunday footy show is ok in comparison and probably worth keeping but Thursday has been done for some years now

Don’t know why people are so keen to axe this show?
It’s great for the community in that it raises a crap load of money for numerous charities. Over $1million last week. Great for local clubs.
Why hope it fails? Don’t watch but it’s not a good thing when this show finishes.
Front bar does nothing

It’s a tv show dude , it’s for entertainment , it’s a once a year charity cause , probably cannot bank on its charity causes for survival.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder if they could just bring the Sunday Footy Show on a Thursday night?

I would love that. People on TV/Radio think it is all about big names.

It's all about Chemistry- and they have it in spades on a Sunday morning.

Don’t know why people are so keen to axe this show?
It’s great for the community in that it raises a crap load of money for numerous charities. Over $1million last week. Great for local clubs.
Why hope it fails? Don’t watch but it’s not a good thing when this show finishes.
Front bar does nothing

You say it should remain then say you don't watch, that is why it will probably finish because if a program on commercial T.V doesn't attract the viewer numbers to justify advertisers placing ads then the show is dropped.

I think the toughest thing for the Footy Show at the moment is it has a bit of an identity crisis.

Is it a 'serious' show that features breaking news, analysis of teams and the weekend ahead or is it an AFL themed comedy/variety program.

If it wants to be a AFL themed comedy/variety program, it needs to refresh itself and look at fresh concepts on humour rather than just repeating the same stuff year-on-year. Sam Newman's not funny anymore, his non-pc humour, letter bag and Street talk has been seen for years and is no longer fresh and interesting. Same could be said for Brownless & Crawford's material.

Instead they should be looking at some of the comedians on the scene that discuss Footy and look at it from different perspectives. Get personalities like Wil Anderson (Triple M, 2 Guys 1 Cup) , Danny McGinlay (Former Doggies Banner Man , Adam Rozenbachs (Junktime AFL), Michael Chamberlin (Junktime AFL), Tegan Higginbotham (AFLW, Fox Footy), Aaron Gocs (YouTube), Brad Holis (Yeh Goodboy Goodboy Good Footy Energies) to rotate through the program regularly and try and match the more 'modern' AFL style humour that the Front Bar has done successfully over the past year.

The problem with getting the likes of the Junktime boys involved is that they write and produce for the Front Bar. Rozenbachs definitely does, pretty sure Chamberlin has an involvement as well, and is also the creator of The Beep Test on Fox Footy.

Gary Lyon has suggested on sen 1116 this morning that the end is coming for the footy show.
One of the few comments Lyon has made in recent times that has a degree of sense to it.

Reading the remarks in the tissues today it appears 9 is wed to it, expensive as it is to produce. It was suggested a major revamp is in the planning. That may mean whittling it down.

It would take Eddie Everywhere to go and for it to not compete with the much more watchable Front Bar before I'd try it again.

You say it should remain then say you don't watch, that is why it will probably finish because if a program on commercial T.V doesn't attract the viewer numbers to justify advertisers placing ads then the show is dropped.

Apologies, I didn’t make it clear.
What I meant to say is don’t watch if you don’t like it.
I Record most of the shows but ironically it was last weeks that dragged out a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why don’t they move it to Sunday Night? End of round review with their light entertainment schmick?!?
Forget Thursday nights.

8pm or 9pm on a Sunday would make some sense, then they could discuss the matches and explore both the serious and light hearted side of the round just played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back