The 2018 Superdraft revisited

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny Adelaide first two picks look horrible but Hammil, Scholl, Strachan and Butts are some of the better value picks of the draft.

Incredible really.

I haven’t seen much of Strahan but Butts should play 150 games at full back, Scholl is a really damaging winger. Hamill is a prototype half back with pace.

Jones and McHenry will eventually come good in some capacity, I just can’t see either becoming really high calibre players.

We didn’t have any picks? I guess trading out of it wasn’t smart but we got Caldwell who still could quite easily pan out.

I wasn't in the camp of trading for Dylan Shiel and hoped that Essendon wouldn't essentially trade away from 2019.

Incredible really.

I haven’t seen much of Strahan but Butts should play 150 games at full back, Scholl is a really damaging winger. Hamill is a prototype half back with pace.

Jones and McHenry will eventually come good in some capacity, I just can’t see either becoming really high calibre players.

Funny a Carlton fan talking up Butts.

Jordon's father is Gerard Butts, a former Carlton player.

Bags already packed back to SA you would think.

I rated him at 1 in that draft, but there was always the risk with him that he'd bomb. He really needed the right environment around him, and (no offence to the Suns) I just dont think GC is that environment.

Suns obviously didn’t do their homework with Rankine.
S.A. Country Footy littered with Rankines that can rip games apart. More talent in one hand than 95% of footballers.

But unfortunately none have made the biggest step.

I reckon Max has more upside.

Seems like at some point he will be in the Top 5 or so players in the league and kick 80+ once or twice over the course of his career. Best point of comparison is Tom Lynch, with his mix of athleticism and smarts around the forward. His ground level ability is also pretty insane for a big guy.

Ben is more a straight line player. Leads up well, makes smart decisions with how he stations himself around the ground but doesn’t have the same ability to bring his teammates into the game. Could capably play key defence and transition into one of the leagues best defenders, but he is too much of a threat up forward and doesn’t need many opportunities to make things happen.

I think Max’s best form has been better but people underestimate just how bad GC have been and how hard Ben’s role is at the Suns who along with Collingwood and North went through patches where they put sub AFL standard teams out there throughout the year.

For example watching Daniher in 2016 to 2017 I don’t think he improved much if at all. Despite going from kicking 43 goals in 2016 to 65 in 2017 and making the AA team. His improvement was far more about the team then individual which is the way it is for forwards.

Suns obviously didn’t do their homework with Rankine.
S.A. Country Footy littered with Rankines that can rip games apart. More talent in one hand than 95% of footballers.

But unfortunately none have made the biggest step.

You can’t put this on the recruiters, a lot had Rankine at #1. He’s was a special talent, with the performances to back it up

The real question is on Rankines professionalism vs Suns development systems.

I think Max will be the best King clearly. Walsh clear number one after first 3 seasons and IMO will be the clear best of the lot. Kids a machine with the perfect head on his shoulders. Works hard, athletically supreme, hard, skilful and just super hungry.

Funny Adelaide first two picks look horrible but Hammil, Scholl, Strachan and Butts are some of the better value picks of the draft.
Not sure if you watched much of us last year, but Jones and McHenry went past Hamil and Sholl particularly in the second half of the year. Still not clear that they were worth their draft positions (particularly Jones), but they both improved significantly.

I think Thomas could end up being in the top few from that draft. Definitely going to be some very high calibre players.

All I know is Jye Amiss better end up a gun after the trading debacle to miss out on Ben King to bring in Hogan.

All I know is Jye Amiss better end up a gun after the trading debacle to miss out on Ben King to bring in Hogan.
huh? What does Amiss have to do with the Hogan trade?

Freo still have Sturt, Clark, Valente and Shultz from that draft.

Not world-beaters, but all of them are handy.

Shultz a gem at pick 57.

huh? What does Amiss have to do with the Hogan trade?

Freo still have Sturt, Clark, Valente and Shultz from that draft.

Not world-beaters, but all of them are handy.

Shultz a gem at pick 57.
Key forward the biggest missing piece, and had a shot at a good one.

But if Amiss is as good then it makes up for it.

Not sure if you watched much of us last year, but Jones and McHenry went past Hamil and Sholl particularly in the second half of the year. Still not clear that they were worth their draft positions (particularly Jones), but they both improved significantly.

I think Thomas could end up being in the top few from that draft. Definitely going to be some very high calibre players.

Was disappointed the bid came so early - reckon it was a good call from the Crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Key forward the biggest missing piece, and had a shot at a good one.

But if Amiss is as good then it makes up for it.
We got a good one. Two if you count Lobb as a fwd.

Jesse Hogan had kicked 152 goals in 71 games when we traded him in.

Hogan at Freo didn't work out, but that has no bearing on the trade at the time.

Butters would be in my top 5, I rate players that can create play very highly and his hands are amazing. I expect Max King to be top 2 within a few years. Next to useless at ground level and not as multi-faceted as his brother but look at the first half of the Cats game in round 22. What he does well he does exceptionally well. Will be be on the those players that can completely dismantle a team simply due to being unstoppable when he's on.

Sydney Stack can certainly be ranked higher after this year.

I expect Max King to be top 2 within a few years. Next to useless at ground level and not as multi-faceted as his brother
Next to useless at ground level!? What the actual *? One of the best things about him is how good he is at ground level and also how good his hands are (his handballing) for someone that tall.

He used to play midfield in the juniors until he had a huge growth spurt, late, and it shows. He’s extremely comfortable at ground level.

So much so that he was number 1 for ground ball gets inside the forward 50 for us for most, if not all of the 2020 season.

I’m also struggling to see how he’s not as “multi faceted” as Ben, given the fact his contested marking is vastly superior, he can also do it on the lead, he is in fact bloody good at ground level for someone that tall, he can push up to the wings and take pack marks there, stay back in the goalsquare, or wherever we need him to play, etc.

The fact he can hurt the opposition in so many ways is a big part of what makes him the talent/prospect he is.

Last edited:
Butters would be in my top 5, I rate players that can create play very highly and his hands are amazing. I expect Max King to be top 2 within a few years. Next to useless at ground level and not as multi-faceted as his brother but look at the first half of the Cats game in round 22. What he does well he does exceptionally well. Will be be on the those players that can completely dismantle a team simply due to being unstoppable when he's on.
Not sure where you got that from. Max has done some extremely impressive things at ground level. Was the most impressive part of his game for his first season and a half considering he was still dropping half the balls that were going into him.

Well we drafted Jordan Clark (traded), Darcy Fort (traded), the rest have a single AFL game between them.

And in true Geelong style our one rookie draft pick (Tom Atkins) has played 57 games and is best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back