SA The Adelaide Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a must-visit place on the way home from a Crows loss. Drown your sorrows in a delicious chocolate milkshake, accompanied by a pepper steak pie, chips and gravy.

It's also a must-visit place on the way home from a Crows win. Celebrate your victory with a delicious chocolate milkshake, accompanied by a pepper steak pie, chips and gravy.

That guy will be doing it until the day he kicks the bucket. I reckon he's moved around a little too. Mainly see him out front of Harris Scarf these days.

It's a real talent to be able to keep talking but not actually saying anything, like he does. :D

I've see him at Elizabeth out front of Prouds Jewellers quite abit

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/08/adelaides-gigcity-high-speed-internet-network-is-live/

Adelaide's $7.6 million GigCity network is up and running, promising affordable internet access for businesses up to 100 times faster than the national average, for $49.90 to $179.90 per month.

Premier Jay Weatherill launched State-government funded network today. EscapeNet is the ISP who will deliver internet services, using the South Australian Broadband Research and Education Network fibre optic network.

It will connect "key innovation sites" and co-working spaces like the Tonsley Innovation Precinct, TechInSA, Stretton Centre and St Paul's Creative Centre.

I suppose it can't be that amazing for only 7.6 million but Adelaide tries really hard to promote innovation, which is great to see.

Hey guys! Anyone in here live around the Athelstone/Newton area? I live in Athelstone up near the foodland, and am looking to change internet provider. Currently with TPG, but our Line of sight distance is around 4900m, so we're miles away from their exchange in Paradise. The fastest speed we've ever recorded is 1.3mb a second download, which makes life hell :/ Anybody live around that area or know anyone around the area and have a decent internet connection? I've heard Nuskope are pretty good, and have heard Belong aren't too bad, but they can have coverage issues too. Im new to adelaide so don't really have any local mates/friends to ask, and all my colleagues live out West :(

I'm in Athelstone mate and also with TPG, We're getting between 3-4 mbps. You should get onto TPG and see if they can tweak your speed or send a tech out. At initial set up we were close to 5mbps for the first 3 months or so then had heaps of drop outs. The TPG tech said it was an issue on our end but i said for three months straight we had no issues whatsoever. Anyhow we got it sorted, Then a few months ago we averaged around 2mbps, we called TPG and i hassled them about it. Some "tweaking" and we're close to 4 mbps now.
At our old address, on Gorge rd just before it starts for the hills we couldn't even get adsl.
Give us an update if you change provider.
Cheers.

I only spent a long weekend in Adelaide last year but I have to say I really enjoyed it. Something about not being surrounded by huge buildings just made everything seem a lot more breathable and open. I think it's pretty neat that you can buy a 3 bedroom house for $450kish that's 10 minutes from the CBD and the beach too.

Honest question because I haven't lived there to form an opinion. Say you find a decent job in Adelaide and settle into a fairly normal life of an average person, what is it missing?

Honest question because I haven't lived there to form an opinion. Say you find a decent job in Adelaide and settle into a fairly normal life of an average person, what is it missing?
The answer to this question depends on what age you are.

I guess as an overall 'missing piece' one answer could be ambition. There is no ambition to be Melbourne or Sydney or xxx . We are happy being Adelaide. And maybe that could be seen as a problem or a bonus.

I only spent a long weekend in Adelaide last year but I have to say I really enjoyed it. Something about not being surrounded by huge buildings just made everything seem a lot more breathable and open. I think it's pretty neat that you can buy a 3 bedroom house for $450kish that's 10 minutes from the CBD and the beach too.

Traffic.

Nothing truth be told. Picked up a new clients who've moved from Sydney. They lived pretty close to the CBD and sold up a couple of months ago and her husband transferred his job to over here. They bought a lovely home in the Adelaide foothills and they love it. They would be late 30s with two young kids.

Everything
We go to melb two to three times a year
Better eating
Better shopping, clothes, shoes
Everything's always open
Public transport better by ten times
Concerts

In sa we just don't have the population

Not sure if we're Adelaide today, or Melbourne? Woke up this morning and it was lovely and sunny, got to work, the sky went dark, rain and hail came, now we're back to sun. Then, my pager goes off saying severe weather warning for this afternoon with possible thunderstorms. Make up your mind weather, we're not Melbourne!

Not sure if we're Adelaide today, or Melbourne? Woke up this morning and it was lovely and sunny, got to work, the sky went dark, rain and hail came, now we're back to sun. Then, my pager goes off saying severe weather warning for this afternoon with possible thunderstorms. Make up your mind weather, we're not Melbourne!

TBH, it seems like Adelaide weather has been unpredictable like that year-round for the past 4-5 years or so.

I guess weather conditions change over time, but I never recall nearly as many random changes in temperature or rain as we get now when I was a kid in the '90s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's global warming for ya...

True.

I guess it's the inconsistency and rapid changes that frustrate me more than anything. It'd be good to have clear patterns and seasons, and not just "raining" or "not raining" during the course of a week/day/hour. Even in summer it seems like every couple of weeks it'll suddenly go from 36 and dry and sunny, to 23 and humid and raining, in the space of a day, before building up to proper heat and sun again.

Thursday afternoon was a great example. We had a typical cold windy winter's day, then heavy pouring rain, then bright sunshine, all within the space of about an hour at one stage. Then we get the wet and cold of last night, followed by the glorious sunshine today. It just doesn't allow you to get comfortable, and plays havoc on people's moods and health (with things like havyfever and asthma) too.

i'll be in rAds in a couple weeks for a conference. how ****** is south rd at the moment?

By the usual standards of roadworks, probably a 5/10 ****ed. Tends to be a bit worse at night, but I suppose with it being a high traffic area, you really can't do a lot during the day.

Has improved in the last month or so though.

i'll be in rAds in a couple weeks for a conference. how ****** is south rd at the moment?
Which end? :D

You've got major roadworks on South Road at Darlington, from the bottom of the Southern Expressway right through to Tonsley at the old Mistubishi site. Then you've got major roadworks on South Road just after the Brickworks, and right through to after Port Road.

Either way, you're screwed. :)

It'll be worth it for when it's all finished though, as it will cut time travelling from South to North by quite a lot.

You've got major roadworks on South Road at Darlington, from the bottom of the Southern Expressway right through to Tonsley at the old Mistubishi site. Then you've got major roadworks on South Road just after the Brickworks, and right through to after Port Road.

It'll be worth it for when it's all finished though, as it will cut time travelling from South to North by quite a lot.
ha!

really hoping we get the thursday night final too. will actually be able to attend!

I live near the South Road / Torrens Road intersection. Last couple of years have been fun.

yep - 3 or 4 times now. its amazing
Even better for a final. The atmosphere is so much better.

I think it's because no one is in their usual seat (as members can't sit in their normal seat for finals), and people tend to be louder for some reason when they're sitting away from their usual surrounding crew, maybe it's because they're not worried about making a fool of themselves because they won't be sitting with the same people the next week, I'm not sure, but it's fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back