Rules The AFL needs to bring in an anti-tampering rule

Remove this Banner Ad

As I say, I think now it should apply only to contracted players, especially first year draftees like JH-F.

Similarly clubs shouldn't be allowed to offer contracted players as a potential trade throughout the season either.
Sure, but that will be the most broken rule in history. Contracted players will get to the end of the season and suddenly happen to want to start discussions with a different club.

You're trying to unpick a much bigger problem IMO: some clubs are more desirable than others, and we don't give young players a choice (and fair enough). I think that if you make it a longer contract to start with, then at least clubs have a bigger bargaining chip after just one year.

If the Suns can't keep talent, the problem isn't the player managers - it's the club.
Or the Gold Coast.
It is full of Queenslanders you know.
A lot of inbred cookers.

Sure, but that will be the most broken rule in history. Contracted players will get to the end of the season and suddenly happen to want to start discussions with a different club.

You're trying to unpick a much bigger problem IMO: some clubs are more desirable than others, and we don't give young players a choice (and fair enough). I think that if you make it a longer contract to start with, then at least clubs have a bigger bargaining chip after just one year.

Player managers/agents are a massive blight on the game, have way too much influence on young and impressionable young men, esp kids still immature to properly understand the potential ramifications of such massive life changing decisions (like a young Tom Boyd joining the Bulldogs on massive money which eventually lead to him suffering from Mental Health issues and a way too premature exit from the game)

Agree totally about the longer contract for draftees, that should be a no brainer for the next time discussions between the AFLPA and the AFL commission comes up with regards to Player contracts and salaries etc.

Player managers/agents are a massive blight on the game, have way too much influence on young and impressionable young men, esp kids still immature to properly understand the potential ramifications of such massive life changing decisions (like a young Tom Boyd joining the Bulldogs on massive money which eventually lead to him suffering from Mental Health issues and a way too premature exit from the game)

Agree totally about the longer contract for draftees, that should be a no brainer for the next time discussions between the AFLPA and the AFL commission comes up with regards to Player contracts and salaries etc.
They can be, but I think you're drawing a slightly long bow with Boyd's mental health struggles and the move to the Dogs. He may well have had exactly the same issues at the GWS.

Player managers can be pretty oily - Pickering and Nixon the prime examples - but without them, the players are 18 year olds and pretty clueless at managing their own negotiations.

I don't like the way managers & clubs have clandestine meetings with players etc.

Maybe there could be a designated period when you can speak with players at other clubs who are in contract and if you speak to them outside of that period, you get massively slapped financially or lose draft picks.

Just as a spitball idea, here is a starting point :

(i) End of R22 till Trade Week - players from non-finalist clubs can be spoken to once exit interviews have been conducted, as teams get knocked out of the finals race, then their players can be spoken to as it goes

(ii) End of R22 till Trade Week - player delistings take place during this time as per normal

(iii) Trade Week - first week in November (5-days only, Monday-Friday) includes Free Agent & Delisted Free Agent acquisitions

(iv) Second Week Of November - final list lodgement

(v) Third Week Of November - 'Draft Day' (one day only, not some half-arsed split thing just to appease the TV stations)

Last edited:
FIFA I believe has a rule where another club can't speak directly to a player unless they have 6 months or less of their contract remaining. Could be brought into AFL?
I think you are mixing up the Bosman rule (which Bosman won in court after he proved the previous model was illegal. The previous model was similar to the AFL rules) and the transfer rules. Under the Bosman a player who has six months to run on their current contract can sign with the club of his choice. The transfer rules do not let players talk to clubs until clubs have a transfer deal in place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back