The Annual 3rd Team needed in WA thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

fabulousphil

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 29, 2001
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Case for a third WA AFL team.

* Huge population growth, thats does not look like stopping

* Huge economic growth, that does not look like stopping

* Waiting lists for memberships at WCE and this year at the Dockers.

* Very strong grass roots particiaption.

* Strong WA representation at national draft year in year out.

* Strong economy means strong sponsorship.

Further to that, and something i stated on another board, WCE membership is an ageing one and memberships are usually only turned over on the death/divorce/moving interstate etc, and then usually to other family members, the Dockers are becoming increasingly the same, generations of people are missing the oppurtunity to attend AFL games and maybe buy memberships.

Does this happen anywhere else in Australia ??, and when was the last time that anyone living in Melbourne was forced onto a waiting list for a membership.

I can see a point regarding the dilution of talent by adding another team, but that is not my argument.

By many measures a 3rd team in WA is needed.

New stadium should help a bit with ticketing issues. I suppose there might be some issues with fitting three teams in there, it'd mean 3 home games every two weeks rather than just alternating home games. You'd create issues with the teams overshadowing each other, but maybe Perth's big and fanatical enough that isn't an issue.

What sort of identity would the third team be given?

No thankyou. The bigger stadium will alleviate the waiting list issue for the Eagles, and there is a nice dichotomy between the north of the river/south of the river WCE/Freo rivalry currently.

A third team would offer nothing that the current two teams don't. There's just no point at the moment.

New stadium should help a bit with ticketing issues. I suppose there might be some issues with fitting three teams in there, it'd mean 3 home games every two weeks rather than just alternating home games. You'd create issues with the teams overshadowing each other, but maybe Perth's big and fanatical enough that isn't an issue.

What sort of identity would the third team be given?
Yeah, this is a WA needs a new stadium issue, more than a new team.

As to identity of 3rd team, the West Perth Falcons occasionally talk up there chances of getting a licence.

Think there should be another team there, talent pool will be able to stretch for it in about 10 years though. Must be better thought out with regards to concessions than GWS and GC's were. It was absolutely obscene, the way that the expansion sides were able to stockpile youth upon more youth as they shunned the chance to trade for experience.

Would rather see Tassie get there two teams like every other non-Victoria state. Launceston and Hobart maybe.

What? Surely there should be 9 teams like Melbourne. :confused:

All clubs could allocate one position every week on the bench by surname - get a multicultural flavour by a roster based on nominating the Singhs, Nguyens, Longs, Shorts, McDonalds, McDonnells .... o_O

This issue is not an annual, its short term thinking designed to offend no one, with the only loser AFL footy.

Only today we have 9 arcing up over the quality of the Aus side for the ODI/20-20s, and here we have some thinker keen to lower further the standard of our game, a game reliant on TV rights to fund loss making clubs.
Add another club ... another loss maker, with NO identifiable market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you really think the supporters that are on the waiting list are just going to change to a new team?

Maybe, but how many more thousands could not be bothered to pay for the priveledge of waiting for something that is years away, maybe some more of those people would, not to mention people who do not like the Eagles. ( and yes they do exist :))

Its a fact, there is a ready made market for a 3rd AFL team in Perth/WA ....see OP.

Isn't West Perth like basically ocean?

(No I don't know Perth at all. Why do you ask?)
Is South Melbourne basically ocean?

West Perth is the suburb to the west of the city (opposite side to the WACA). However they are now based in Joondalup, the major town centre of the northern suburbs. When I first moved to perth I got a rental in West Perth and I thought, great I've got a ready made team support. Now where exactly is this Joondalup Arena? Turned out it was ******* miles away, and ironically East Perth played around the corner from me in the next suburb to the west, Leederville.

Do you really think the supporters that are on the waiting list are just going to change to a new team?
I don't see why not? Make it a community club.

Surely if that was ever going to happen, one of the cashed up bogans over here could throw a couple of hundred dollar bills at JB and buy Norf outright. Easy solution that would only piss off a few hundred Melbournites.

Errrr, we knocked back a hundred mill champ.

You lot would change your colors to pink and purple and change your name to the "Hungry Jacks Whoppers" for half of that money.

Would rather see Tassie get there two teams like every other non-Victoria state. Launceston and Hobart maybe.

Agreed. Give another state a go, I think two strongly supported teams is plenty in WA. Would love to see a Tassie team, they love their footy down there's a heap of Tasmanian talent in the AFL. That being said, no way can Tassie do two teams, one to start and we'll go from there.

We all know if the AFL was started from scratch there would be nowhere near 9/10 teams in Melbourne.

I am not begrudging Melbourne its teams, i think they add not subtract to a national comp, particuarly the history they carry, but new stadium or not WA could support another team, and it will happen, the AFL would be mad not to exploit the current situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back