The Annual 3rd Team needed in WA thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Another website ruined by wookie features.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Why Not?

Small traditional have an immediate small base and do not frow past that.

And thus the AFL Falcons would be struggling.

How many members do you think a third team would need? 30k?
West Perth would easily get 20k the day they were accepted.
The club itself now only has 2500 members but that is because it is second tier and not seen as important to be a member.
Would there be 5-8k members of the Eagles and Dockers who are traditional West Perth people?
New team would gather 10k in members.
Would the English and South African people out Joondalup way get on board? West Perth have had a day for them the last 2 years and both times have tripled their average crowd to a home and away game.
Yes it might be tough early but a traditional club might be just the thing WA needs and even more so the AFL needs. Some real history and heart.
But like I said above mine is a bias opinion because I think they should have been in from the start. One of Australias greatest football clubs.
You are probably right though and another souless franchise will come in.

Last edited:
West Perth would easily get 20k the day they were accepted.

You mean like Port Adelaide, the most successful team in Australian Sport.
West Perth is an inner suburb.
Joondalup is populated by people who mostly follow WCE or Freo.
They are not passionate enough about football.
They don't even have the numbers to force a name change from "West Perth" to "Joondalup Falcons".

Last edited:
If you don't know the answer to that one then you may as well go home.

FFS what is a suburb?

Last I knew "Perth" was geographical area.

Any club has to identify with people, people close (geographically) to where the team will play so people can attend and thus attract income etc etc.

The WCE chose to identify with WA which was fine until the Dockers came along and chose to identify with Fremantle. Both clubs draw fans from all over Perth but have concentrations.

A new Perth team has to identify with some group either historically, geographically or socially etc.
I'm saying the Perth Panthers identifying with Perth and East would align themselves with Perth Demons, East Perth Royals and Swan Districts. Fremantle would align themselves East Fremantle Sharks, South Fremantle Bulldogs and Peel. WCE, based at Joondalup would align themselves with West Perth Falcons, Subiaco Lions and Claremont Tigers. This symmetrical arrangement might even boost the WAFL a little.

IMO a relocated Vic team would be less succesful than promoting a WAFL team.

You really are an contrarian old boofhead aren't you.

'FFS what is a suburb' :confused:

Well Collingwood DONT train or play in Collingwood, Hawthorn DONT train or play in Hawthorn. They are city wide even National brands nowdays. They started as suburban clubs 100+ years ago. They wouldnt survive nowdays if the tried to mimic some suburban existence again.

IF WA were to get a third club at some stage it to would suffer if it were linked to some narrow suburban identity.
What WAFL clubs align to it wouldnt matter. Anybody running such a new club wouldnt give two hoots about WAFL clubs. Just look at the VFL as that example.
If the managers of the 3rd club had any brains they would create their own marketing appeal. That appeal would be based on the whole city to give it best chance of survival & success.

But in the best BF tradition, you just keep being negative & sarcastic about it.

Last edited:
Yes, they got 20k to the WAFL GF.

Oh............... that's right....................half of them were Royals.

You have to start somewhere, Collingwood had just 10000 members in the 1980's and now look at them. How many members did the Eagles have in the year 1987?
You are looking at West Perth now as a WAFL club and not West Perth as an AFL club.
If we are going to talk hypotheticals then at least look at it hypothetically.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I like your enthusiasm, but..
why West Perth?
Why talk hypothetical when we have history.
Port Adelaide is the most successful sporting club in Australian history.
They had a huge slice of the Adelaide supporter base.
They came in and had immediate success.
And then...............that's history.
They didn't bring in a Southport team because they didn't want to disenfranchise other QAFL followers.
They wont bring in a West Perth team because it's not that well supported.
They wont bring in a West Perth team because it'll dienfranchise other WAFL minded people.
They wont bring in a West Perth team because it's named "West Perth".
They wont bring in a West Perth team because they're in Eagles territory.
They wont bring in a West Perth team for a lot of other reasons.

Port Adelaide and the 10 Victorian suburban clubs are all the same. All suburban clubs.
Port Adelaide have been great for the comp. They won a flag just 8 years ago. How are the Bulldogs going? what about the Saints, Melbourne, etc. All crap clubs who should not ever of been in the comp.
Why not West Perth?
Like any other club it will end up a anyway.

Yes maybe a dream mate and I agree it will probably not happen. But another franchise in WA won't happen either. They certainly won't get any support. A traditional club would.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide and the 10 Victorian suburban clubs are all the same. All suburban clubs.
Port Adelaide have been great for the comp. They won a flag just 8 years ago. How are the Bulldogs going? what about the Saints, Melbourne, etc. All crap clubs who should not ever of been in the comp.
Why not West Perth?
Like any other club it will end up a anyway.

Yes maybe a dream mate and I agree it will probably not happen. But another franchise in WA won't happen either. They certainly won't get any support. A traditional club would.

There has been talk ... believe it or not !!, :eek: of a East Perth /West Perth amalgamated AFL team.

No spoon throwing please. :)

Arena Joondalup would suit me fine, i live 5 minutes walk away.

Big possibility IMO, in the future.

I really don't think the current 2 AFL teams in Perth would lose much support, a 3rd i believe would generate its own support and not cannibalise.

Last edited:

Last edited:
God how blind are you?

Freo was the second team in a footballing state in a football mad area and STILL TOOK 10 ******* YEARS to turn a profit.

That's not true. Fremantle was profitable in their first year, and continued to be for their first few years. It was only around 2000 when it started going bad, culminating in the horror 2001 where crowds and corporate support took a dive, and expenditure went through the roof (we went over the salary cap in a year where the record was 2-20).

I think with the WCE moving to Lathlain, it appears that the northern suburbs will be fair game. A team training out of Arena Joondalup would be hard to resist.

Perhaps, just perhaps, the WAFC and AFL are lining the ducks up , to give this some serious thought, perhaps a 3rd side is on their radar.

Perhaps, just perhaps, the WAFC and AFL are lining the ducks up , to give this some serious thought, perhaps a 3rd side is on their radar.

lol the WAFC wont have anything to do with any future AFL franchises. The AFL is already working to get the WAFC out of the Eagles and Dockers, they wont hand them a third license. I dont expect there to ever be a third license for WA - at least not this decade.

lol the WAFC wont have anything to do with any future AFL franchises. The AFL is already working to get the WAFC out of the Eagles and Dockers, they wont hand them a third license. I dont expect there to ever be a third license for WA - at least not this decade.

I don't profess to follow, or even care a great deal about football politics, but what basashi said is correct, Lathlain Park is very much eastern suburbs and a long way away from Eagles heartland which is in the Western Suburbs.

The northern suburbs and the hundreds of thousands of people in them are the very reason why West Perth left Leederville and moved to Joondalup.

Last edited:
That deffinitely is the current status in WA and I presume in SA as well.
But as we know, thinking does change.
The WAFC might be saying something like this.
Perth, evenly divided can support three teams much larger than current Melbourne teams.
Now is the time to introduce a third team BEFORE the stadium gets built.
The WAFC has successfully run the current two WA clubs.
The WAFC would have to be given management rights with 3 AFL clubs at the new stadium.
An even split with the aligmnent of WAFL clubs would (IMO) go a long way to solving the reserves issue and be a boost to the WAFL which is a long term benefit to the AFL.

Thats one hell of a change, given the tendency has been to get the state leagues out of the clubs ASAP (The SA deals are supposed to be close to completion). State leagues have proven to the AFL they'll look after their own interests - as they are well entitled to. The AFL would never again allow another state football body to take control of a national league club.

If a third team is introduced - it wont be for at least 7 or 8 years.

Last edited:
As spoken above, if or should I say when a third Perth based team enters the league, it will have no WAFC control or input. The AFL loathe the fact that they don't accept Auskick and national control in WA.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back