Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty good effort by PNG - ends a run of 21 straight T20 wins by the Irish against other non-members.

I really could not give a toss about T20, but Hong Kong just made it to the semi-finals of the qualifying tournament (and confirmed qualification) by knocking up 16 in the last over against Afghanistan.
Afghanistan now have to beat PNG to qualify.

I really could not give a toss about T20, but Hong Kong just made it to the semi-finals of the qualifying tournament (and confirmed qualification) by knocking up 16 in the last over against Afghanistan.

Good innings' by both Jamie Atkinson and Mark Chapman getting them over the line. Impressive stuff from them.

Will be interesting to see how Chapman goes, young guy but has already played some very good hands at Associate level. Not entirely sure of his background - was born in Hong Kong and according to cricinfo went to school in NZ but seemingly is back there.

In the other match, the Netherlands got through as well. Have a pretty good side with plenty of experience.

I wanted both of these teams in. Screw you Hong Kong.

Papua New Guinea v Afghanistan and Oman v Namibia today.
Winners qualify for the World T20 and then play off for 5th place in the tournament. Its hard to believe Afghanistan finished third in their group and then got beaten in the first playoff.

The semi-finals are Scotland v Netherlands and Ireland v Hong Kong. These teams have qualified.
Hong Kong the real surprise packet.
Nepal, after making it to the preliminary round of the World T20 last time, arguably the disappointment - though Afghanistan perhaps get that title. But last time was arguably "over-achieving" (I hate that term) for Nepal. And the country has had pretty drastic circumstances in recent months.

Papua New Guinea v Afghanistan and Oman v Namibia today.
Winners qualify for the World T20 and then play off for 5th place in the tournament. Its hard to believe Afghanistan finished third in their group and then got beaten in the first playoff.

The semi-finals are Scotland v Netherlands and Ireland v Hong Kong. These teams have qualified.
Hong Kong the real surprise packet.
Nepal, after making it to the preliminary round of the World T20 last time, arguably the disappointment - though Afghanistan perhaps get that title. But last time was arguably "over-achieving" (I hate that term) for Nepal. And the country has had pretty drastic circumstances in recent months.
Would say Oman way over Hong Kong for surprise packet. Hong Kong had a few good games leading into the tournament.

Just looking at the evenness, and the quality of the sides that missed out. I think this tournament in future should actually be part of the T20 WC, instead of the qualifying stage they have now. Seeing as it's basically a second crack at qualifying for the main group when they get there

Also, don't reckon Jonty Jenner will play many more matches for Jersey. Kid is quality!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bump.

Anyone been following the netherlands vs scotland intercontinental cup match? Sounds like an exciting finish. Peter Borren taking 4 for 1 to end the match as the dutch win by 44 runs in a low scoring match. Roelof van der merwe has made a good start to his dutch career

Here's an affiliate from left field - South Korea. Living over here at the moment, and my Aussie/Kiwi expat team came up against the national side today. And they gave us a mighty flogging. Cricket has had a real surge here in the year since the Asian Games in Incheon last year, where, as hosts, they were forced into install a purpose built cricket facility. Most of the players have baseball backgrounds, so there was some interesting techniques on display (including the bowlers...), and they only ever play 20-over matches, so they might be on the rise in the shortest format in the coming decade.

Surprised Suriname aren't better given they share a border with Guyana and are usually considered part of the Caribbean. Guess the French influence kept Cricket at bay. Fiji are on track against Botswana and Vanuatu flogged 3/309 against Norway.

Here's an affiliate from left field - South Korea. Living over here at the moment, and my Aussie/Kiwi expat team came up against the national side today. And they gave us a mighty flogging. Cricket has had a real surge here in the year since the Asian Games in Incheon last year, where, as hosts, they were forced into install a purpose built cricket facility. Most of the players have baseball backgrounds, so there was some interesting techniques on display (including the bowlers...), and they only ever play 20-over matches, so they might be on the rise in the shortest format in the coming decade.
Ah good, thanks for this, I have been struggling to find anything about this team since the Asian Games, with the fear of it being disabandoned. Please keep us updated, there were only a few youtube links around the time of the games, but then nothing. They didn't participate in a T20 qualifying tournament for the south east asian region before the main qualifiers, so I thought it might have been done

Ah good, thanks for this, I have been struggling to find anything about this team since the Asian Games, with the fear of it being disabandoned. Please keep us updated, there were only a few youtube links around the time of the games, but then nothing. They didn't participate in a T20 qualifying tournament for the south east asian region before the main qualifiers, so I thought it might have been done

No worries. Actually this coming weekend, they are staging the "2014 Asian Games Women's T20 Memorial Tournament" at the same ground. South Korea, China, Japan and Hong Kong will be participating. I just hope the pitch is a bit more up to scratch by next weekend haha. 90% of the balls stayed fairly low, so I was well and truly camped on the front foot, and then managed to cop two in the ribs that really reared off a length.

The Incheon Cricket Association is the only organised league in the country, I think. Seven or eight teams took part this summer. It's very well run. There's a few former first-class players from the subcontinent running around in some of the factory worker expat teams, I've been told.

No worries. Actually this coming weekend, they are staging the "2014 Asian Games Women's T20 Memorial Tournament" at the same ground. South Korea, China, Japan and Hong Kong will be participating. I just hope the pitch is a bit more up to scratch by next weekend haha. 90% of the balls stayed fairly low, so I was well and truly camped on the front foot, and then managed to cop two in the ribs that really reared off a length.

The Incheon Cricket Association is the only organised league in the country, I think. Seven or eight teams took part this summer. It's very well run. There's a few former first-class players from the subcontinent running around in some of the factory worker expat teams, I've been told.
Must be a little tune up for china before the womens T20 qualifiers in Thailand later in the year. Hope it continues to grow! Would you be able to grab a photo of the ground next time you are there?

One of my other favourites, Josh Davey, has ripped through the Dutch top order in the WCL match, but play's been called off with them at 5/74. Will be back tomorrow.
Nah I've claimed Davey sorry about that, had him since the Australia vs Scotland game in Hobart

EDIT: Back now actually, Netherlands 5/102 (30)

The Netherlands got back on track through van der Merwe and Seelar, but unfortunately the rain came in again.

Must be a little tune up for china before the womens T20 qualifiers in Thailand later in the year. Hope it continues to grow! Would you be able to grab a photo of the ground next time you are there?

Yeah sure, no problem. I'll most likely head down there on Sunday for the final of the women's T20. It's situated in the same complex as the main stadium for the Asian Games last year, a very nice place. Two turf practice nets, modern media facility and a lovely outfield and white picket fence. It's a shame about the horizon of identikit apartment buildings surrounding the place.

Also, it turns out there is double the amount of teams I thought there was; there's another whole group.

11064851_1632506853692908_5276008930064552222_n.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back