Harlequin Dream

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
They're making chances, but they need one to go their way early.
Are you getting this from Peter Della Penna's feed?

I do feel that Canada is pretty reliant on their top 4 to score quickly. If Nepal can get a few strikes before the spinners come on a potential 250 changes into an expected 150. Nepal needs luck to go their way.

Are you getting this from Peter Della Penna's feed?

I do feel that Canada is pretty reliant on their top 4 to score quickly. If Nepal can get a few strikes before the spinners come on a potential 250 changes into an expected 150. Nepal needs luck to go their way.

Yes.

I was literally just thinking that Canada's batting line-up falls away very quickly after Pathirana, who is also hit and miss. Their wins have been on the back of Gunasekera and Kumar.

The last 20 minutes have been a bit of holding pattern in all three games. But in quick succession all the batting teams have lost someone. Wijeratne still there for Canada, Lamichhane back on the field and hard to tell how fit he is. Anwar in for the UAE, age may be catching up to him. And Kenya are heading towards something vaguely respectable after Oman took way too long to change their bowlers.

Harlequin Dream

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
If Wijeratne continues like this Canada can hit 200. Which would be too much for Nepal I would think.

Harlequin Dream

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
UAE and Canada now both 4/97. UAE have lost both their set batsmen, and need Anwar and Usman to pull off something, but they've both had a poor tournament. Namibia back in front.

Nepal need to get Wijeratne out, he's now passed his highest ever List A score.
The problem for UAE is that every batsman after these two have never made 50. Very long tail.

Hamza Tariq firmly in the "best defence is a good offence" category.

The problem for UAE is that every batsman after these two have never made 50. Very long tail.

I've liked Namibia strategy this tournament, which has basically been to choke the opposition and force them to make a mistake. They have enough good bowlers to allow them to change it up if one of them is getting hit around.

Harlequin Dream

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Hamza Tariq firmly in the "best defence is a good offence" category.

I've liked Namibia strategy this tournament, which has basically been to choke the opposition and force them to make a mistake. They have enough good bowlers to allow them to change it up if one of them is getting hit around.
It's been a pretty good strategy for them. Having 4 seamers and 2 spinners helps. They have always been able to find a correct match-up based on the pitch and the opposition.

Wow, Kenya might have a win here.

Harlequin Dream

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Hard to know what a par score is in these matches. Probably only a 10% advantage either way.

Wijerante is running out of partners now. Will be interesting to see if he can make the 100.

Harlequin Dream

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Don't bowl two of exactly the same kind of bowler at the same time when they've got set batsmen who are going for it.

See: Perth Scorchers in the semi-final this year.
I agree.

However, I still think Namibia has a reasonable chance here. It was much harder to bat earlier in the tournament and Namibia have made many 250+ scores this season.

All three innings done.

Namibia will be chasing 248. It's a big ask, but Namibia did score 261 against Canada, and this pitch is a new one, so deterioration probably won't be a significant factor. The UAE bowling attack is spin-heavy and has been fairly economical, although that includes matches against weak batting teams. You'd still say that the UAE are favourites at this stage.

Oman will be chasing 201, which is about 100 runs more than it should've been. Kenya has the weakest bowling attack here, but Oman's batting isn't much chop either, and I'd say Kenya is probably more likely than not to win.

Nepal will be chasing 195, thanks to Wijeratne's century. I don't see how they do this short of Khadka getting a century.

Back