Remove this Banner Ad

Do you reckon there's a chance some of the stronger sides who are expected to play 3 match series against the Netherlands (England, SA, NZ) will find a way to pull out of their series as part of the ODI Super League? I'll believe it when I see it that this Super League will actually go ahead as planned. Australia will be doing all they can to get out of their series with Zimbabwe and Afghanistan for example and will try to extend their series with India.

Nah, because it's tied to WC qualification. If they pull out, they give all the points to the other team.

Australia have already got their "pull out" by managing to avoid Bangladesh again.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Ten Doeschate is 39. Don't know he'll be in the Netherlands plans.

Also when did Rippon turn into an opener? Last I heard he was a spinner who could bat.

Ten Doeschate is 39. Don't know he'll be in the Netherlands plans.

Also when did Rippon turn into an opener? Last I heard he was a spinner who could bat.

Ed Joyce played until he was 39 too. I was meaning it in a "if they were playing at the World Cup" way.

Rippon is a spinner who can bat, but he has opened before. Balance-wise, it makes more sense to have him open than trying to stuff him into a lower-middle order already containing Seelaar and van der Merwe.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Didn't realise Ackermann was qualifying for the Dutch. He was a significant loss for South Africa when he went the Kolpak route, looked a very likely sort for international honours. Going well in county cricket, so hopefully do get to see him on the international stage.

Some interesting inclusions in the USA squad I noticed the other day. Have played against Cameron Steel who spent his teenage years in Perth before going to Durham using his UK passport. Made a double ton for them last season, but having a bit more difficulty breaking into the lineup and surprised to see him bob up in the US - had no idea he also had eligibility there too.

Rusty Theron some may remember as a very good T20 bowler in his prime. Played for South Africa and was a regular on the T20 circuit.

To top it off, Ian Holland of Victoria, Hampshire and Cricket Superstar fame is also in the running for selection too!

While England was doing England things, over the ditch the Netherlands were putting on a thriller as well, eventually winning the match by chasing down 290 with 3 wickets and 4 balls to spare, and won the series 2-0.

Also, the entire Zimbabwe board has been sacked and, worringly, they have been putting out their best team here. It's weaker than the team that was at the WCQ, but still not a good sign given the Dutch did not have their best team out.

Still, the two teams had time to relax after the game.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tatenda Taibu has written a book:

Zimbabwe cricket may never see the highs of the late 90s/early 2000s again

It's always the easy option to be negative. If the country can sort itself out again one day, the talent will be there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tatenda Taibu has written a book:

It's always the easy option to be negative. If the country can sort itself out again one day, the talent will be there.
But will they go to cricket? Mugabe has gone, but nothing really has changed except a face. Its only one of his henchman who took over. ZC is as corrupt as ever, even if not as overtly under government control as 15 years ago. Why would any talented sportsperson choose cricket, over sports that get coverage and can actually pay their players. If the country ever gets its act back, cricket should be a beneficiary - but the malaise is so deep and gone so long, it is likely to only be a very minor one.

Other nations, through the ICC, really need to ensure some minimum player payment - direct from ICC funds, not filtered through ZC where it will go on new offices and newer cars - to international and FC players in the Zimbo set-up. But if that happens, should West Indies, Ireland, Afghanistan, and below them the Associates all get the same assiatance?

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
More well known cricketing powerhouses in Malaysia and Thailand making their T20I debuts today.
Thailand women are going pretty well - sitting ahead of Scotland and creeping up on Zimbabwe and Ireland - so fingers crossed the men will show some of the same aptitude.

And I know Malaysia put heaps of money into lawn bowls and it shows good results so if they do the same for cricket, then who knows?

Whatever happens, it's good for cricket.

Popped down to watch Malaysia v Maldives today. It's hard to judge the standard but it didn't seem too bad to be honest. The Maldives keeper took a couple of really nice catches up to the stumps, the fielding overall seemed OK (there weren't lots of misfields and errant throws), and a couple of the Malaysians could certainly hit a cricket ball. Might try and catch another game before the tournament is over.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
WA's Tim David making his debut for Singapore in the World T20 Asian qualifier:

On a related note, at least 20 West Australians have played for other countries, including Hong Kong, Croatia, Italy, Germany and Mexico.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back