Remove this Banner Ad

The event that spurred the meteoric rise of Nepal’s Sandeep Lamichhane, the Hong Kong T20 Blitz, is to been cancelled, Emerging Cricket understands.
Less than a week after the administration announced former Ireland skipper and NSW coach Trent Johnston will oversee the men’s national team from next month, various interested parties including some players have been informed that the Blitz – the “crown jewel” of cricket in Hong Kong – has been scrapped.
A lack of sponsorship interest, difficulty in accessing government funds for major events, and the recent results of the men’s national team which has resulted in at least half a million dollars less in ICC funding, have all been cited as reasons behind the decision to cancel the event, which held its third edition in February 2018.

UAE knocking over Netherlands in the land of the tulip is a bit of an upset. And after Netherlands beat Zimbabwe in a clean sweep of ODIs.
Or is it just an indication of how far Zimbabwe fell before being suspended? Netherlands and Scotland are the ones spoken of as the leading Associates, so its a big win for UAE. (Although I thought both sides rely heavily on imported players, maybe not so much - but how many of the Dutch actually learned their cricket in the Netherlands is another question. I expected a lot of South Africans.)

Running down the batting orders, just going off cricinfo birth places where listed; which is not the most scientific way of determining an import:
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Ashfaq Ahmed - Pakistan
Rohan Mustafa - Pakistan
Ghulem Shabbar - Pakistan
Darius d'Silva - United Arab Emirates
Rameez Shahad - Pakistan
Muhammad Usman - United Arab Emirates
Mohammad Boota - Pakistan
Zawar Farid - Pakistan
Mohammed Navid - United Arab Emirates
Ahmed Raza - United Arab Emirates
A lot of the Pakistanis seem to come from Punjab province. My knowledge of Pakistan is lacking, is that a particularly poor area, or prone to the violence of areas not really under any government control? (edit: Apparently southern Punjab is quite poor, while the north has some of Pakistan's wealthiest areas)

NETHERLANDS
Anonius Staal - Netherlands
Max O'Dowd - New Zealand
Ben Cooper - Australia
Saqib Zulfiqar -Netherlands
Sikander Zulfiqar -Netherlands
Pieter Sellar - Netherlands
Scott Edwards - Tonga (seriously? I presume via NZ or Aus. How many Tongans have played an ODI I wonder.)
Hidde Overdijk - Netherlands
Sebastiaan Braat - Netherlands
Phillipe Boissevain - Netherlands
Brandon Glover - South Africa

Very Dutch-based squad their for the Netherlands but a person from Tonga in a cricket game isn't really something that you would see often. I don't think their is many players that have come from Tonga if any at all.

In other news, Zimbabwe has been removed from qualifying for the World T20 with Namibia replacing them in the women's while Nigeria are competing in the men's.

Most of that Dutch squad have not played much international cricket - Seelaar, B Cooper and maybe O'Dowd would be the only guaranteed first Xi players. Their best XI has a bunch more Saffers, though they're mostly batsmen or all-rounders.

The squads of any Arab nation are going to be full of subcontinental players, because the nations they represent are full of subcontinental workers.

UAE knocking over Netherlands in the land of the tulip is a bit of an upset. And after Netherlands beat Zimbabwe in a clean sweep of ODIs.
Or is it just an indication of how far Zimbabwe fell before being suspended? Netherlands and Scotland are the ones spoken of as the leading Associates, so its a big win for UAE. (Although I thought both sides rely heavily on imported players, maybe not so much - but how many of the Dutch actually learned their cricket in the Netherlands is another question. I expected a lot of South Africans.)

Running down the batting orders, just going off cricinfo birth places where listed; which is not the most scientific way of determining an import:
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Ashfaq Ahmed - Pakistan
Rohan Mustafa - Pakistan
Ghulem Shabbar - Pakistan
Darius d'Silva - United Arab Emirates
Rameez Shahad - Pakistan
Muhammad Usman - United Arab Emirates
Mohammad Boota - Pakistan
Zawar Farid - Pakistan
Mohammed Navid - United Arab Emirates
Ahmed Raza - United Arab Emirates
A lot of the Pakistanis seem to come from Punjab province. My knowledge of Pakistan is lacking, is that a particularly poor area, or prone to the violence of areas not really under any government control? (edit: Apparently southern Punjab is quite poor, while the north has some of Pakistan's wealthiest areas)

NETHERLANDS
Anonius Staal - Netherlands
Max O'Dowd - New Zealand
Ben Cooper - Australia
Saqib Zulfiqar -Netherlands
Sikander Zulfiqar -Netherlands
Pieter Sellar - Netherlands
Scott Edwards - Tonga (seriously? I presume via NZ or Aus. How many Tongans have played an ODI I wonder.)
Hidde Overdijk - Netherlands
Sebastiaan Braat - Netherlands
Phillipe Boissevain - Netherlands
Brandon Glover - South Africa
Nice article from last year talking about the UAE side: https://www.thenational.ae/sport/cr...side-after-years-of-waiting-in-wings-1.764213

Rarely has the national squad been peopled by so many home-reared players as it is now. Nearly half of the UAE squad in Malaysia were either born or raised in the Emirates.

That is a marked difference from times past. At times, as few as one or two were home-bred, with the rest developed overseas, before arriving as adults to work.

A trio who make up the spine of the team, Rohan Mustafa, Rameez Shahzad and Ahmed Raza, grew up together. For the first time, one of their peers from their youth in Sharjah will get the chance to stake a claim to a permanent starting berth, too.

And just as a general point, migration between nations is increasing, so referring only to birth places is kind of irrelevant. I mean, Australia has had a bunch of recent cricketers born in other countries but do we not claim them as Australian? If Scott Edwards grew up in Australia but has a Dutch grandmother and therefore Dutch citizenship and wants to play international cricket for the Netherlands, good luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very Dutch-based squad their for the Netherlands but a person from Tonga in a cricket game isn't really something that you would see often. I don't think their is many players that have come from Tonga if any at all.

In other news, Zimbabwe has been removed from qualifying for the World T20 with Namibia replacing them in the women's while Nigeria are competing in the men's.
I know a Tongan national team played a few club sides in Sydney about 20 years ago, I think they did regular tours and maybe played in Melbourne too, but I'm not sure how many may have been Australians with Tongan heritage. And I would not imagine many others, if any, would have played at that level.

The Speaker Yes, its no surprise to see a lot of Pakistanis in particular in the middle-eastern sides. There are religious similarities with parts of Pakistan, and generally more money in oil rich nations willing to import cheap labour. Which is why I was wondering why Punjab in particular. Simple weight of numbers plays a part probably, but I would guess wealth, etc, as well. The balance of willingness, ability and need to work abroad.

Murphy Su'a who played for New Zealand was from Samoa, and Fiji and Vanuatu also have majority local sides all in the neighborhood of Tonga.

Cameron Gannon named to play for the USA.
I'm pretty certain former NSW and WA bowler and current University of Kansas and USA Cricket Strength and Conditioning Coach Burt Cockley has got him over there.

A marvellous summer's 10 degrees in Aberdeen as Oman and PNG start the new CWC League 2 tonight (our time).
Probably not home style weather for either nation.

I believe these are officially LOIs.
Oman has played one before. The final of the old WCL Division 2, losing to Namibia. (Yes, I had to look that up.)

Namibia are playing a four T20I series against Botswana which sounded like a complete mismatch beforehand and the scores so far seem to agree. They belted 4/193 in the first game and kept Botswana to 7/100, while in the second game they're 3/231 with one over to go. Some guy named JP Kotze has gone from 45 off 27 to 93 off 38.

Namibia are playing a four T20I series against Botswana which sounded like a complete mismatch beforehand and the scores so far seem to agree. They belted 4/193 in the first game and kept Botswana to 7/100, while in the second game they're 3/231 with one over to go. Some guy named JP Kotze has gone from 45 off 27 to 93 off 38.

Kotze also made 148 off 86 against Hong Kong in the last WCL Div 2.

Is Canada and Bermuda getting through to the final round of qualifying for the T20 WC in front of the US a surprise? I thought the US had become the somewhat dominant force in that part of the world?

Is Canada and Bermuda getting through to the final round of qualifying for the T20 WC in front of the US a surprise? I thought the US had become the somewhat dominant force in that part of the world?
Well maybe they're channeling their inner Leverock.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back