Remove this Banner Ad

Huge celebrations for the Singaporeans last night.

Another new low for Zimbabwe cricket. They better hope the ICC lifts their suspension next week.
That is horrible. Even though its only T20, that is the only format Zimbabwe can hope to financially break even on so its disastrous they seem to have got to that level.

Last edited:
Mohammed Naveed has been charged with two breaches each from both the ICC and the Emirates Cricket Board (ECB).
The ICC breaches relate to being directly involved in, or agreeing to fix matches and also for failing to report information in relation to corrupt conduct with respect of the upcoming T20 World Cup Qualifiers, which get underway on Friday in the UAE.
Likewise, the breaches from the ECB mirror those from the global body, except that they are in relation to this year’s T10 event to be held in Abu Dhabi in November.
Qadeer Ahmed has been charged with six breaches of the ICC Code, including offences related to the Zimbabwe v UAE series in April 2019, among others.
Shaiman Anwar has been charged on two counts, both in relation to the upcoming qualifiers, for contriving to fix and not reporting illegal conduct.

I don't think that's a terrible decision. It might mean these games actually get played in front of a crowd if there are genuine home and away games. The Nepalese would go batshit. Do they give a s**t in PNG?

It's pretty unfair on the areas with a large number of strong teams, particularly Asia. Cricket's not at the level of rugby league in PNG, but it's hardly a minor sport.

It's also another tournament, another goal in a barren Associate landscape that's being taken away. Do not underestimate the impact of that on sponsorship, morale and the like

It's pretty unfair on the areas with a large number of strong teams, particularly Asia. Cricket's not at the level of rugby league in PNG, but it's hardly a minor sport.

It's also another tournament, another goal in a barren Associate landscape that's being taken away. Do not underestimate the impact of that on sponsorship, morale and the like

Yeah, i'm not saying it's all good. Nor is it fair. Like that article says, if PNG jags a top 12 spot in the WC, the Phillippines are in the box seat to qualify. I reckon Manangatang thirds would roll them for under 50.

But there are positives. It's been pretty depressing watching the qualifiers played in front of empty stands.

Yeah, i'm not saying it's all good. Nor is it fair. Like that article says, if PNG jags a top 12 spot in the WC, the Phillippines are in the box seat to qualify. I reckon Manangatang thirds would roll them for under 50.

But there are positives. It's been pretty depressing watching the qualifiers played in front of empty stands.

The way it’s looking, the top EAP team would have to beat the top African team, but I get your point

I think if they are going to scrap the stand alone qualifiers, they should expand the ‘first round’ of the T20 World Cup, or even better implement the Russell Degnan 20 team tournament format

What they should really be doing, if they're going to use regional qualifiers, is expand it to a proper 20 team comp

That is horrible. Even though its only T20, that is the only format Zimbabwe can hope to financially break even on so its disastrous they seem to have got to that level.

Not much has changed. Namibia beat Zimbabwe the other day. Probably not a surprise with Namibia really firing in this format and Zimbabwe struggling to post decent scores.

Last edited:
Not much has changed. Namibia beat Zimbabwe the other day. Probably not a surprise with Namibia really firing in this format and Zimbabwe struggling to post decent scores.
And Namibia ended up winning the series 3-2.

Overnight, the USA defeated Scotland by 104 runs in the CWC League 2 in Pearland, Texas. USA won the toss and batted, putting up 5/310, before rolling the Scots for 206. They play again tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the wicket at Pearland, TX seems to a bat first and win comfortably type. In the 2nd match overnight, Scotland won the toss, batted and posted 7/300, then rolled the USA for 189.

So the wicket at Pearland, TX seems to a bat first and win comfortably type. In the 2nd match overnight, Scotland won the toss, batted and posted 7/300, then rolled the USA for 189.
Until today when USA chased 203 against UAE

Not really Affliates but they kind of are... Afghanistan are 2-nil up over Zimbabwe in an ODI series so those calling for Afghanistan to play in NT and QLD, probably have a point.

Zimbabwe used to be good... like Kenya, that ship sailed away a long time ago..

Oman joins the Pearland, TX ODIs.. I could be proven wrong, but the Americans have never beaten Oman in cricket..

Interesting alternate history involving Denmark.

The 1979 ICC Trophy counted as the qualifier for non-test nations to get into the World Cup that year. Denmark were the only team of the 15 to win all their qualifying games* but had a stinker in the semi, losing very, very badly to Sri Lanka in the semi. Sri Lanka had a 2-1 record in the group (one game abandoned), and only made it to the semis on net run rate, but after rolling Denmark they beat Canada in the final, and then in the CWC, finished ahead of India in their group, and within three years were a test nation.

So given that winning the semi would have been enough to qualify for the World Cup, what if Denmark beat Sri Lanka that day?

*Bermuda were also undefeated in their group, with one game abandoned.
Bit naff to quote yourself but Jarrod Kimber's latest video builds on this event.

are the minnows narrowing the gap ?

Tier 1 : The Big 8
  • Australia
  • England
  • India
  • New Zealand
  • Pakistan
  • South Africa
  • Sri Lanka
  • West Indies

Tier 2: The latest 4 test nations
  • Zimbabwe
  • Bangladesh
  • Afghanistan
  • Ireland

Tier 3: Others

*So the tier 2 teams in white ball cricket on their day can beat the big 8 occasionally , and also lose to the minnows occasionally.

Occasions a Tier 3 team has beaten Tier 1:

ODI's
Kenya def India (2)
Kenya def Sri Lanka (1)
Kenya def West Indies (1)
Scotland def England (1)

T20's
Netherlands def England (2)
Netherlands def South Africa (1)
Scotland def West Indies (1)
Namibia def Sri Lanka (1)

Three of these occasions happened in this edition of the T20 World Cup.

T20 can be a bit of a lottery at times and if one player tees off, that can be all the difference.

Of the big 8, only Australia, New Zealand & Pakistan have a clean sheet against the Tier 3 teams.

are the minnows narrowing the gap ?

Tier 1 : The Big 8
  • Australia
  • England
  • India
  • New Zealand
  • Pakistan
  • South Africa
  • Sri Lanka
  • West Indies

Tier 2: The latest 4 test nations
  • Zimbabwe
  • Bangladesh
  • Afghanistan
  • Ireland

Tier 3: Others

*So the tier 2 teams in white ball cricket on their day can beat the big 8 occasionally , and also lose to the minnows occasionally.

Occasions a Tier 3 team has beaten Tier 1:

ODI's
Kenya def India (2)
Kenya def Sri Lanka (1)
Kenya def West Indies (1)
Scotland def England (1)

T20's
Netherlands def England (2)
Netherlands def South Africa (1)
Scotland def West Indies (1)
Namibia def Sri Lanka (1)

Three of these occasions happened in this edition of the T20 World Cup.

T20 can be a bit of a lottery at times and if one player tees off, that can be all the difference.

Of the big 8, only Australia, New Zealand & Pakistan have a clean sheet against the Tier 3 teams.
The thing is Australia doesnt play the lower to associate countries all that often.

Right now if Australia played an : Ireland, Scotland, Netherlands, Afghanistan, even a Namibia, I can pretty much say that they wouldnt be a shoe-in to whitewash them say in a best of 5 or best of 7 T20 series.

I think Australia owes it to give back to the game a bit by even fixturing these countries possibly somewhere in their schedule or when they travel overseas. NZ, England and Pakistan in 2022 travelled to Holland and Scotland (think Ireland as well)

I also read last night that Australia will host again the T20 World Cup in 2028. But in the years 2024, 2026, 2028, 2030 and 2031, it will be fixed spots of 20 teams.

Kind of think the ICC didn't factor into account the growth of the game and who knows there may be leeway to expansion within that 7 year time frame.

The thing is Australia doesnt play the lower to associate countries all that often.

Right now if Australia played an : Ireland, Scotland, Netherlands, Afghanistan, even a Namibia, I can pretty much say that they wouldnt be a shoe-in to whitewash them say in a best of 5 or best of 7 T20 series.

I think Australia owes it to give back to the game a bit by even fixturing these countries possibly somewhere in their schedule or when they travel overseas. NZ, England and Pakistan in 2022 travelled to Holland and Scotland (think Ireland as well)

I also read last night that Australia will host again the T20 World Cup in 2028. But in the years 2024, 2026, 2028, 2030 and 2031, it will be fixed spots of 20 teams.

Kind of think the ICC didn't factor into account the growth of the game and who knows there may be leeway to expansion within that 7 year time frame.
In the fortnight after the 1989 Ashes finished, Australia played two matches in The Netherlands and two in Denmark against their national teams.

Can't imagine that happening again soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back