CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Has anyone seen the ad for 'The Australian' newspaper running on TV? It shows various prominent figures in the Iraq issue, for example the Aussie troops then it would say something like 'patriots or pawns?'. Bin Laden is shown, and it says 'terrorist or messiah?' or something to that effect, doing the same with Saddam, Howard, Bush etc.

Yes we live in a free speech society but I think this ad is ridiculous to even suggest these things could be possible (ie Bin Laden the messiah) and in my opinion taking it too far. I think this ad should be pulled from tv immediately.

What are you thoughts on this ad?

Originally posted by CarterS
Has anyone seen the ad for 'The Australian' newspaper running on TV? It shows various prominent figures in the Iraq issue, for example the Aussie troops then it would say something like 'patriots or pawns?'. Bin Laden is shown, and it says 'terrorist or messiah?' or something to that effect, doing the same with Saddam, Howard, Bush etc.

Yes we live in a free speech society but I think this ad is ridiculous to even suggest these things could be possible (ie Bin Laden the messiah) and in my opinion taking it too far. I think this ad should be pulled from tv immediately.

yes i have seen that ad, talk about using the situation to suit urself :rolleyes:

I think you should take a chill pill.

It is illustrating that there are two sides to every story. It is a very effective ad. We're talking about it.

Just that it is a bit of a rip off of an ad that was run for an English newspaper.

Would you be in favour of similar censorship on big footy ?

If not, don't be hypocritical. People can make their own mind up.

Pessistic, Appleyard, points taken.

But the thing that really got me going more than the rest was the troops 'pawns or patriots' shot. I don't think the troops, who are simply doing their job and serving the country, would be very happy by that suggestion. My friends brother is over there in Iraq (as a Commando, one level down from the SAS), and it just didn't go down with me that well.

... But the thing that really got me going more than the rest was the troops 'pawns or patriots' shot. I don't think the troops, who are simply doing their job and serving the country, would be very happy by that suggestion ...

You're quite right ... In fact, I'm SURE the troops wouldn't want to think too much about what they're doing at all. They certainly don't want to have to admit that they are pawns.

Actually, it's not a case of being pawns OR patriots ... It's more a case of being patriotic pawns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back