Religion The Bible: Literal, figurative, bulldust?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, not worthy of even this response.
Why not? remember he "regretted" making us in the Genesis and drowned everyone cause it was a mistake he was THAT ANGRY. (Irony of an omnipotent being didn't know that it's gonna happen either).

Nek minit:

"god so loved the world, he gave us his son" (who was himself to die to appease himself).

Yeah makes so much sense.

Whether moral standards exist or not, brutality is Always bad and you don't need any Gods to tell or teach you that.

You Know inherently

To put it even simpler, would you like someone hurting you or your loved ones? No. Irrespective of what you've Done

Violence upon another is always wrong.

So let me ask you this, is genocide objectively wrong? or it's subjective, as long as your kind and loving God does it, it's fine? In that case what you are implying is mass murder is subjectively wrong?

I know i will never get an answer to these question, you are the king of deflection.

Last edited:
insights and revelations. It works.
Yeah quoting the "revelation"

Revelation 21:8 - But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

I am a murderer, whoremonger and what not. Such loving and kind mutt. But everyone must follow him cause you know...apparently he is loving an kind.

The god makes sure that unbelievers are tortured in hell. That’s not “salvation” … it’s a protection racket. It’s just as if a mafia boss tells you, “If you pay me $100 every month, I’ll save your house from getting burned to the ground.”

First make you sick and then sell you the cure. Yeah that's how cults operate.

Last edited:
Still, you searchers are here discussing THE BIBLE on Good Friday. Admit it, you love it, you can't get enough of it, and you can't work it out. It is not a text book, or a history book, it is God's revelation to us of what His Power can be like, yet what he has done for mankind sinners for perpetuity through His Son Jesus Christ. You may not like the messages His Word portrays at times, but why argue with such a God. If you believe in Him- which you seem to, given your hatred of some of His words, why argue with us believers about His ways. As you know, this is HIS CREATION, and He can and does whatever is needed.
Good Friday is just like any other Friday to non-believers, except we get a day off work for it!

What's a searcher?

Kill non virgin women:

"But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you." (Deuteronomy 22: 20-21)

Bang your dead brothers wife:

"Master, Moses wrote unto us, If a man's brother die, and leave his wife behind him, and leave no children, that his brother should take his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother." (Mark 12:19)

If your kids bag you out, kill your children:

"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him." (Leviticus 20:9)

Women should keep quiet and accept male authority at all times:

"I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." Timothy 2:11

'Perfect and majestic' my ass.

Of course I can respond to all of this.

The difference being in the interpretation; you believe I read the bible with a pre-disposition. My pre-disposition is, “I know nothing”. I never stop at what I first read. It needs to be reconciled with other scripture before I form an opinion. Discrepancies need to be analysed in bible studies.

In the desert Satan tempted Jesus with scripture. I will not be deceived.

Matthew 4:4
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’

Every word; not some words, Illusioned by pre-dispositioned thoughts.

What context am I missing here exactly?

"For everyone that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him." (Leviticus 20:9)

Good Friday is just like any other Friday to non-believers, except we get a day off work for it!

What's a searcher?
Like CHRISTmas Day!

Of course I can respond to all of this.

The difference being in the interpretation; you believe I read the bible with a pre-disposition. My pre-disposition is, “I know nothing”. I never stop at what I first read. It needs to be reconciled with other scripture before I form an opinion. Discrepancies need to be analysed in bible studies.

In the desert Satan tempted Jesus with scripture. I will not be deceived.

Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’

The bible is true because it says its true seems like a flawed way of finding the truth.

Like CHRISTmas Day!
You could call it the annual celebration of Magpies 2023 premiership day and I'd enjoy it just the same. It seems more fitting to have a holy day for sporting events like the Melbourne cup or AFL grand final eve in this city than a Jewish piece of fiction.

You didn't answer my question as to what a searcher is. None of the unbelievers here are searching for what you've found, Dubsy. We know too much.

The bible is true because it says its true seems like a flawed way of finding the truth.

Acts 17:11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. 12 As a result, many of them believed, as did also a number of prominent Greek women and many Greek men.

Acts 17:11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. 12 As a result, many of them believed, as did also a number of prominent Greek women and many Greek men.
They looked at the Torah to see if Paul's teachings were consistent.

Are you saying the Old and New testaments validate each other by fitting as a seamless singular piece of work with matching prophecies, teachings, and the like?

If so, do you feel that the bible is tested and proven sufficiently that anyone should be able to entrust their life here on Earth and alleged afterlife on?

Are you saying the Old and New testaments validate each other by fitting as a seamless singular piece of work with matching prophecies, teachings, and the like?

If so, do you feel that the bible is tested and proven sufficiently that anyone should be able to entrust their life here on Earth and alleged afterlife on?
They like OT when it suits them and discard the OT when it doesn't. I mean they don't even know what they believe.

Vdubs take note, every word. Not the verses you want to sweep under the carpet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am saying that there are verses in the bible, that can be tested and proven true; to someone who is honestly seeking god.

The New Testament is called new for a reason.

Last edited:
Then why do you get angry when I answer you?
Angry? nah, do not like intellectual dishonesty like the last time i engaged with you. If you lack knowledge, just don't pretend or google or copy paste from somewhere else. This is why i do not engage with you. When you dismiss a subject as 'false' (specially in scientific stuff), without even understanding it, that's all i need to know about you and your bias. There's nothing else left to talk. Vast majority of the Christians can separate the two, but fundamentalists cannot, cause they are so deeply rooted in their belief system that they can't see the wood from the trees. I annoys me as all rationality goes out of the window and literally there's nothing left to talk. I would say 'angry' isn't the word, frustrated is the word. Which is why i do not engage with you, although i have engaged with vast majority of the Christians in this thread.

You are intellectually dishonest and there can never be a chat/debate/argument/discussion which such people. I do not profess to know something that i don't. This is why i hang around in other Quantum mechanics forums and try to learn and understand more.

You cannot falsify a theory that has stood the test of time just to prove your belief is true. If you can, get your Nobel, so far none of the fundies been able to, despite several (ridiculous) attempts. Not that i want to discuss this with you anymore but ....

Last edited:
Vdubs take note, every word. Not the verses you want to sweep under the carpet.
Again, out of context. Whatever you get your thrills from, it's not common sense. You are such an argumentative literalist. NOBODY in 2024 lives on and acts out every word of the Bible in 2024, or ever. Are the words important? Each one, YES. Are they literally applicable to us today? You can't be serious. As Rosscoe has said, the Bible needs to be studied in context , and keeping in mind who it was written for, and it needs proper interpretation; not by some pseudo-angry nit-picking galah.

Again, out of context. Whatever you get your thrills from, it's not common sense. You are such an argumentative literalist. NOBODY in 2024 lives on and acts out every word of the Bible in 2024, or ever. Are the words important? Each one, YES. Are they literally applicable to us today? You can't be serious. As Rosscoe has said, the Bible needs to be studied in context , and keeping in mind who it was written for, and it needs proper interpretation; not by some pseudo-angry nit-picking galah.
Your mate said it, why pick and choose what god told you as you see fit? do you agree when Paul said women should submit to their husbands like a man does to Jesus? yes or no?

As i asked you before, i will ask you again, under what context is infanticide acceptable to you? or asking women to shut up? or calling me a murderer for disbelieving? or slavery?

If the context is ANCIENT and it no longer applies today, when man made morality superior? On what basis did you decide where IT'S APPLICABLE OR NOT? Based on YOUR own morality, that you derived on your OWN not your Gods. Morality does not come from God, it comes from the society/environment you live in. Plenty of ancient religions have all good things in it minus the nasty bits , so why not follow then instead of Christianity?

Still i ask you, lets say it,s 2,000 years ago, do you agree all children should be killed cause some divine being was angry? if any human did that, what would you call that? so why different moral standards for different beings?

Name any context, you choose what. Unfortunately no reply will come except deflection and more deflection and more evanglical bulldust.

Last edited:
Your mate said it, why pick and choose what god told you as you see fit? do you agree when Paul said women should submit to their husbands like a man does to Jesus? yes or no?

As i asked you before, i will ask you again, under what context is infanticide acceptable to you? or asking women to shut up? or calling me a murderer for disbelieving? or slavery?

If the context is ANCIENT and it no longer applies today, when man made morality superior? On what basis did you decide where IT'S APPLICABLE OR NOT? Based on YOUR own morality, that you derived on your OWN not your Gods. Morality does not come from God, it comes from the society/environment you live in. Plenty of ancient religions have all good things in it minus the nasty bits , so why not follow then instead of Christianity?

Still i ask you, lets say it,s 2,000 years ago, do you agree all children should be killed cause some divine being was angry? if any human did that, what would you call that? so why different moral standards for different beings?

Name any context, you choose what. Unfortunately no reply will come except deflection and more deflection and more evanglical bulldust.
I think you should watch the game. They might make a comeback yet. As always, your yes or no questions are inappropriate and innane.

Yes as usual, more deflection! not surprised. I asked you 'state your context' under which you find killing all first born in a country 'divine'?
Why are you so obsessed about that?
Does it happen now, anywhere?
If not, why not...?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back