Home & Garden The BigFooty Guide to getting the Real Estate of your Desires

Remove this Banner Ad

I bought my place in mid-2019, 2 bedroom/1 bathroom duplex. My best tactic was that it went on sale over a long weekend which attracted very little attention at the open house days, I negotiated and had it sold before the following weekend. That Saturday I went back to see it again as they'd been advertising another open house day, they were having to essentially turn away a lot of people as it was under contract.

My "must haves" were a separate shower, I hate shower/baths and a toilet that is not inside the bathroom (unless I managed to get a 2 bathroom place). I also very much wanted to be in a certain part of my home town to be close to family.

I've done so many upgrades though since I bought it. Absolute money pit.
- New bathroom and toilet. Only things that stayed were the relatively new shower frame and oldish but fine bath.
- Replaced the old curtains with blinds
- Currently replacing the brown venetian shutters with white plantation shutters
- Added insulation to the ceiling
- Replaced all the floor tiles
- Plastered all the exposed brick walls
- Painted nearly every surface of the place, including doors, skirting boards, window sills etc. Sometimes twice because I'm an idiot who has a habit of buying the wrong things. This is the only thing I've really done myself but it's been a lot of work.
- Brand new kitchen and laundry
- Replaced all the door handles and door stops
- Installed ceiling fans in the bedrooms
- Fair bit of electrical work in terms of new power points and security lights.

Next place I buy will be new.

Hahaha I converted a lovely- open, big (well for my bathroom anyway)- walk in shower. To a bath/shower combo.

I. need. a. bath. End of.

Re. other changes i did: got a painter in, to paint two walls. Way too much white in this apartment. I also bought a navy couch which imho helps. Other than that- nothing.

Hahaha I converted a lovely- open, big (well for my bathroom anyway)- walk in shower. To a bath/shower combo.

I. need. a. bath. End of.

Re. other changes i did: got a painter in, to paint two walls. Way too much white in this apartment. I also bought a navy couch which imho helps. Other than that- nothing.
I almost never have baths but like having the option, I just hate standing in a bath for a shower. Still never used my bath!

I have a navy couch too. Looked too dark against my exposed brick wall, but I reckon it'll look nice now that I've plastered and painted the wall. House is still a construction site but the end is in sight.

I almost never have baths but like having the option, I just hate standing in a bath for a shower. Still never used my bath!

I have a navy couch too. Looked too dark against my exposed brick wall, but I reckon it'll look nice now that I've plastered and painted the wall. House is still a construction site but the end is in sight.

Idm exposed brick.

I mean.. I did live in a garage for 10 years- with brick walls all around. They were painted white tho. + i had mirrors and framed pics hung

One of my all time faves. Always keep an eye out for it driving down. Pretty hard to miss tho.

251C17C000000578-0-image-a-26_1422349439854.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Idm exposed brick.

I mean.. I did live in a garage for 10 years- with brick walls all around. They were painted white tho. + i had mirrors and framed pics hung
I didn't mind it either at first, but it was making the house very dark.

Oh add to the list:
- New security/screen doors at front and back
- New awning outside bedroom window

Money. Pit.

I converted a square 900mm ish shower and a kid sized bath to an 1800mm x 800mm bath shower combo. Made the room a heap more functional and the new shower was 10x better than the old one. Lived there for another 4 or 5 years, 0 baths.

Post everything real estate- apartment, villa, house, cardboard box, mansion, whatever you want.

Tips (reader beware) on how to save, how to approach snakes. i mean agents, what to ask, what not to ask, auction advice, private seller advice. The good, the bad, and the absolute ugly.

Renters too- any handy tips for that market.

Post dream homes, post rennos pre and post, post amazing hotels, post famous movie real estate. Just dont post your actual address.

Syd
Haha, credit where it's due for the title Shell - very reminiscent of a certain other thread!
Topical as it's something I've been thinking about and even talked about it recently to a couple of people
In the immediate term due to circumstances, I'll continue to rent out my existing place whilst living with family but I hope the next place I buy is my forever home. Not having a mortgage that comes with a forever home comes with some freedom of movement and being able to spontaneously spend.

I don't have any saving tips, unfortunately. I was late to read the Barefoot Invester but when I finally did read it, I found I was doing most of that stuff already, bar putting extra in my super. And the stuff I wasn't doing eg picking my super, I just wasn't eligible to do.

I do have something to say from a renting perspective though. I found it surprisingly tough to crack into the renting market despite being a professional - the lack of references got to me. Once I was finally there, stuff like insect infestations and broken airconditioning were issues. The place I lived in for a year is known to have great rental returns and have very affordable housing, but my interactions with the real estate agent and other agents put me off ever considering investing there.

Haha, credit where it's due for the title Shell - very reminiscent of a certain other thread!
Topical as it's something I've been thinking about and even talked about it recently to a couple of people
In the immediate term due to circumstances, I'll continue to rent out my existing place whilst living with family but I hope the next place I buy is my forever home. Not having a mortgage that comes with a forever home comes with some freedom of movement and being able to spontaneously spend.

I don't have any saving tips, unfortunately. I was late to read the Barefoot Invester but when I finally did read it, I found I was doing most of that stuff already, bar putting extra in my super. And the stuff I wasn't doing eg picking my super, I just wasn't eligible to do.

I do have something to say from a renting perspective though. I found it surprisingly tough to crack into the renting market despite being a professional - the lack of references got to me. Once I was finally there, stuff like insect infestations and broken airconditioning were issues. The place I lived in for a year is known to have great rental returns and have very affordable housing, but my interactions with the real estate agent and other agents put me off ever considering investing there.

Yeah idk about savings- I definitely dont know anything about stocks, or shares or anything like that. Re the savings tho, i'd just advise to use the credit card only for necessities, etc everyday items that you pay off right away every month. And have a separate savings account to your everyday account for the "goal". And never try to withdraw from it. IIRC Ive only withdrawn a couple times from my Goal Saver account, ever. (except for things like, a car, putting 10k on my mortgage)- what its there for basically.

Man renting. Idk how you put up with it*. I went from my parents, to a high school mates (didnt even have a written contract- just a verbal agreement. Never had any issues regarding bills or rent, nothing.), to my place. Am forever in debt to her actually- paying $300 a month rent for 11ish years is a fairly good deal. Hence why when i left I bought her a bottle of Moet, day spa voucher + chocolates as a thank you.

*or landlords. Works both ways.

We were lucky we bought an apartment before prices just went nuts. Was almost able to trade that for a house a few years ago. In our 'forever' home now (well, at least until retirement of something maybe). Got a bunch done on it a few years ago (new kitchen, hardwood floors, doubled the driveway, got french doors and new windows in. Got some landscaping done as well. Seems like there are always little things to do but we'll just gradually make changes over the years.

Any fans of the renno shows itt? I watch (on/off) The Block, Selling Houses Australia... sometimes old Property Ladders on 7Flix (if you want a laugh watch that. Srsly. Some absolute morons on that show). And Million Dollar Listings LA and NY. Latter probably my favourite for the characters, the former for the real estate.

We were lucky we bought an apartment before prices just went nuts. Was almost able to trade that for a house a few years ago. In our 'forever' home now (well, at least until retirement of something maybe). Got a bunch done on it a few years ago (new kitchen, hardwood floors, doubled the driveway, got french doors and new windows in. Got some landscaping done as well. Seems like there are always little things to do but we'll just gradually make changes over the years.

Post some pics if you like.

Being in a forever home must be a great feeling. Fwiw- my cousins (my cuz and the dentist) have moved house like 345 times in their lifetime. I just dont know how they do it. And they've lived in some absolute stunning houses, so idk..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back