The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, there will be a transition period, but I don't think a long term malaise is likely. There is plenty of really excellent youth in the squad, and there will be some additions (I think we sign a CB and a RB, and possibly a top CDM if there is one available), move TAA to midfield (in Slot's 4-2-3-1 I suspect the 2 will be Mac and Trent) and keep developing youth.

On this morning, it's the issue with Mac - he's made that poor touch receiving from the defence in the middle of the park a few times this season, and it completely changed the momentum of the game. That ball just gets cleared and I'm confident 3-1 is the final score.

Look, there will be a transition period, but I don't think a long term malaise is likely. There is plenty of really excellent youth in the squad, and there will be some additions (I think we sign a CB and a RB, and possibly a top CDM if there is one available), move TAA to midfield (in Slot's 4-2-3-1 I suspect the 2 will be Mac and Trent) and keep developing youth.

On this morning, it's the issue with Mac - he's made that poor touch receiving from the defence in the middle of the park a few times this season, and it completely changed the momentum of the game. That ball just gets cleared and I'm confident 3-1 is the final score.
I dont think we really need a RB. Bradley is ready to step in there and be first choice if we move TAA into midfield. Then we have Gomez as capable back up and Trent can be pushed back into RB if need be. We do need a CB though, Virg, Konate and Quansah are great options, but we need a 4th guy.

On the poor touch from Mac, I know it's the way we play but sometimes, 10 mins to go, 3-1 up, just kick the thing up field. Instead Virg plays it to Mac who has a really poor touch and we gift them a goal. We've given far too many gifts this season and that has to be addressed.

I hope so.

Concerns are Virgil’s age and having no other world class centre back in the squad.
Trent is still defensively poor and Nunez and Mo have finished the season off like they’re high on meth. We’re taking poor form into a preseason with no Klopp for the first time in 9 years.

We have to wonder what the dressing room is going to be like next year.
Will our quality stay the same and we steady the ship? Will we appreciate the change up?

Or will the standard drop right off and we’re back fighting for 3rd and 4th.

I’m worried that the nerves and changes in methods will shake the group and we’ll be 15 points behind City by November.
It's going to be a huge change up and I'm worried Slot might be shit. Dutch coaches coming to the PL has not gone well in the past. But Edwards is back and he's usually on the money with these things so hopefully it works out. Be really interesting to see the summer ins and outs with Edwards back now. He never missed when he was with us the first time.

I dont think we really need a RB. Bradley is ready to step in there and be first choice if we move TAA into midfield. Then we have Gomez as capable back up and Trent can be pushed back into RB if need be. We do need a CB though, Virg, Konate and Quansah are great options, but we need a 4th guy.

On the poor touch from Mac, I know it's the way we play but sometimes, 10 mins to go, 3-1 up, just kick the thing up field. Instead Virg plays it to Mac who has a really poor touch and we gift them a goal. We've given far too many gifts this season and that has to be addressed.

I like Gomez on the left and I think we sell Tsimikas. The new RB just needs to compete with Bradley.

I like Gomez on the left and I think we sell Tsimikas. The new RB just needs to compete with Bradley.
If we're buying a RB you'd think we'd be looking at a first choice RB which just buries Bradley when I think the money could be far better spent elsewhere with Bradley having such huge potential.

Next season will be completely different. Blank canvas with a new boss. Exciting
We had it very good under Klopp. Probably didn't win as many trophies as we should've (Thanks Sham City and Real Madrid), but there will be a bit of trepidation in relation to hoping we don't slip into perpetual mediocrity a-la Man Utd post-Fergie. But I think we're run a lot better than them, so hopefully not the case. Would be really good if Slot (if the rumours are true) can slot in (see what I did there? ;) ) nicely and maintain competitiveness by way of strong title challenges. But he'll want to bring in his own players, will take time getting everyone used to his own style of play, so hopefully there isn't too many drawbacks during the bedding in period.

We had it very good under Klopp. Probably didn't win as many trophies as we should've (Thanks Sham City and Real Madrid), but there will be a bit of trepidation in relation to hoping we don't slip into perpetual mediocrity a-la Man Utd post-Fergie. But I think we're run a lot better than them, so hopefully not the case. Would be really good if Slot (if the rumours are true) can slot in (see what I did there? ;) ) nicely and maintain competitiveness by way of strong title challenges.

The internal strategy (to the chagrin of some around here) will not change. Man U just feel they can spend big and don't rate important characteristics when they sign players - look at Sancho and Antony.

I think Man City and Real will remain problems for us because they are rich and also not stupid (unlike Man U). Arsenal aren't going anywhere either IMO. But I think after a short adjustment period we will be challenging for trophies again.

12 points dropped

make no mistake we have fumbled the title to city again but bloody hell the past two months has been pathetic.

I seriously worry around the energy and motivation levels for next season.

Dont forget next seasons appalling kit.

I hope so.

Concerns are Virgil’s age and having no other world class centre back in the squad.
Trent is still defensively poor and Nunez and Mo have finished the season off like they’re high on meth. We’re taking poor form into a preseason with no Klopp for the first time in 9 years.

Will our quality stay the same and we steady the ship? Will we appreciate the change up?

I’m worried that the nerves and changes in methods will shake the group and we’ll be 15 points behind City by November.

So City have been behind Christmas in the past two seasons and romped home. maybe we need to do the same in a calculated manner rather than lead early and completely fall into a heap

Really poor from Mac to gift them a goal and then a ridiculous lucky deflection goal.

We didnt play that well though. Something has seemed off in the last month or two and I cant quite put my finger on it.

I think thats what everyones wondering about. what the hell has happened? Everyones stuffing up. Klopp announces he's leaving and things start to really decay. Im worried that this has parallels with Richmond and Benny Gales announement, except Richmond have been shit for a while so that's that.

Our defence constantly gives away 1-2 goal leads, we cannot defend. That's the biggest issue

Another season where we give away 40+ league goals in a season, you can't win titles with that, it needs to be halved
Not putting all the blame on Endo, he's done a job for us this season but we need to buy a world class DM.

That and a CB who could conceivably one day replace Virg would be my priorities.

Watched the highlights since I can't willingly subject myself to 90 minutes of Martin Tyler. It seems like a good game to have missed. That 3rd goal is just unlucky to concede but they had more to play for than we did which makes sense why they came hard at the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really poor from Mac to gift them a goal and then a ridiculous lucky deflection goal.

We didnt play that well though. Something has seemed off in the last month or two and I cant quite put my finger on it.

Not hard to figure out. Between Jan & Mar we literally had only 13-14 fit players. Team was exhausted, couple of poor results and now nothing to play for with top 4 secure and no title on the line.

I hope so.

What really cost us big time this year was Thiago & Baj having pretty much zero input. We needed Thiago at #6 pulling strings, breaking up play and keeping the ball. Endo did a respectable job but simply is not good enough for us to be our starting #6 going forward, this is the most obvious area to address with Szo & Mac being set as starting players.

Next thing to address is a replacement for Matip who can play 60 games a season like Virg used to do and eventually take over the mantle from Virg when he moves on.

I reckon FSG will make 3 big signings in the summer after a spare of player sales to fund it.

Hopefully FSG are able to fund soime quality replacements. I am in the sell Salah if the Saudis offer 100 million plus camp as well. He was poor as since his return from AFCON. He has already had his peak years. So not expecting him to become dominant again in the new season. I think people are hanging on to the hope he does return to form. I am looking at the risk he struggles again or regresses. And we are behind a further year, and no funds.

CB, DM and a forward who is a deadly finisher would be good. And one that won't go missing in cup finals.

Hopefully FSG are able to fund soime quality replacements. I am in the sell Salah if the Saudis offer 100 million plus camp as well. He was poor as since his return from AFCON. He has already had his peak years. So not expecting him to become dominant again in the new season. I think people are hanging on to the hope he does return to form. I am looking at the risk he struggles again or regresses. And we are behind a further year, and no funds.

CB, DM and a forward who is a deadly finisher would be good. And one that won't go missing in cup finals.
I'd be ****ing off Diaz and Nunez way before club legend Mo Salah

We had it very good under Klopp. Probably didn't win as many trophies as we should've (Thanks Sham City and Real Madrid), but there will be a bit of trepidation in relation to hoping we don't slip into perpetual mediocrity a-la Man Utd post-Fergie. But I think we're run a lot better than them, so hopefully not the case. Would be really good if Slot (if the rumours are true) can slot in (see what I did there? ;) ) nicely and maintain competitiveness by way of strong title challenges. But he'll want to bring in his own players, will take time getting everyone used to his own style of play, so hopefully there isn't too many drawbacks during the bedding in period.
This is a major reason as to why I dont think we will go down the Man United route. We brought back all the old team, Edwards and Ward. We are a very well run club. Will we challenge for league titles and CL's without Klopp and with Slot instead... doubtful. But I dont see us going the way Man United did after Fergie left.

The internal strategy (to the chagrin of some around here) will not change. Man U just feel they can spend big and don't rate important characteristics when they sign players - look at Sancho and Antony.

I think Man City and Real will remain problems for us because they are rich and also not stupid (unlike Man U). Arsenal aren't going anywhere either IMO. But I think after a short adjustment period we will be challenging for trophies again.
Madrid are getting Mbappe so I reckon the next 5-6 European Cups will just be shared between City and Real.

Not putting all the blame on Endo, he's done a job for us this season but we need to buy a world class DM.

That and a CB who could conceivably one day replace Virg would be my priorities.
I think our lighthouse in Fabinho leaving set us back more that we thought. His legs might have been gone anyways but we didnt really replace him. Endo has come in and done a job, he was really excellent for parts of the season too but he's no Fabinho.

Obviously not having a world class no.6 is a problem, but the way we set up just isn't gonna provide solid defensive cover

When we were winning it all, we had Gini and Hendo sitting back often to help Fab and cover the bombing full backs, we actually had a defensive shape and were much more sensible

Nowadays we have one lone 6 with two bombing no.8s and Trent bombing on, so there's barely even a midfield defensive shape, it's just hoping the center backs and no.6 or Ali are super human

We'll see how the new manager set up defensively but we really just need to stop playing knife edge football all the time and learn to grind out some results

Remove this Banner Ad

Back