Hot Topic The Blue Colosseum

Remove this Banner Ad

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Come one, come all, ye gentiles and heathens alike!

Come and revel in the spectator sport of champions! Come observe and partake in the grudgiest of grudge matches, the airing of the dirtiest of laundry! Come and join in (or don't if you choose) in the Bigfooty Carlton board Colosseum!

The rules for this thread are simple:
  • We see a lot of arguments going on and on in a never ending loop until they start derailing threads. As such, posters whose posting winds up being a) dismissive of other viewpoints or b) openly adversarial can be referred in here either by us moderators or by report from one of you.
  • Upon the declaration of a Colosseum bout, you both have the opportunity to either accept the challenge or to back away. There is no declaration of failure linked to backing away; some people mightn't have the time or motivation to enter into a debate of this kind.
  • If only one party is willing to enter, the debate is declared closed. From that point, conversation is deemed to be moved on; if it comes up again or either side of the debate chooses to go again, it will result in precisely the same outcome as off topic conversation does if repeated elsewhere on BF (deletion and warnings, followed by infractions).
  • No other posters can post in the Colosseum until the debate is done. The participants can agree to shake hands and leave the Colosseum together, or their peers can then post who they think won the debate and why. We can run a poll for each debate if you like.

What this will accomplish is to keep threads flowing, and make posters be a little less definitive and a little more accommodating towards the opinions of others, AND importantly, produce receipts for their contentions.

In between debates, posters may put forward debate recommendations and participants in this thread.

This is limited to football discussion only folks. Politics and other social issues have their own place elsewhere on BigFooty.

Let's have fun with this folks and leave the egos at the gates.

Gladiators... I salute you.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ill take this at face value because unfortunately online forums make it hard to determine sarcasm unless blatantly obvious. So thank you and hopefully other people see it that way

If not well... .... :poo:

I think the general issue is you can't go too deep into any discussion. Be it sarcasm, humour, nuanced, balanced, or detailed.

A nuanced or balanced post is picked apart with surface level responses from people who support the club at the surface level. It's best to avoid direct quoting and just make your point as more people let that post pass simply because they feel it isn't a direct slap to their post. Nothing to do with good or bad view, quoting someone's post the majority of the time on here with a different view is basically an attack on their knowledge by default.

And you have to be a bit treacly in favour of anything Carlton or it leads to a harsh response from someone with the surface view (90% of posters here).

Some posters galvanise that surface group quite well ('Bow' who privately messages people to add support).

There is less than 20 posters on here who post with reasoned thought. Having said that, I post here knowing that and accept the consequences sometimes.

I think the general issue is you can't go too deep into any discussion. Be it sarcasm, humour, nuanced, balanced, or detailed.

A nuanced or balanced post is picked apart with surface level responses from people who support the club at the surface level. It's best to avoid direct quoting and just make your point as more people let that post pass simply because they feel it isn't a direct slap to their post. Nothing to do with good or bad view, quoting someone's post the majority of the time on here with a different view is basically an attack on their knowledge by default.

And you have to be a bit treacly in favour of anything Carlton or it leads to a harsh response from someone with the surface view (90% of posters here).

Some posters galvanise that surface group quite well ('Bow' who privately messages people to add support).

There is less than 20 posters on here who post with reasoned thought. Having said that, I post here knowing that and accept the consequences sometimes.
Ladies, Gentleman, and all inbetween, betwixt and beside!

We have what appears to be our first Challenger!

Who would like to respond to JustOneTime, ye people of the Carlton board?

I’ll go him!
Does it work thou if I believe JustOneTime cast the aspersions far and wide but actually nailed it abit? 😂
It depends.

To what extent do you both want to have a crack at the good persons of the audience here? At my good self?

Such cannot be borne beyond a certain point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back