Analysis The Buddy deal, one year on

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
My answer is not on the poll but my answer would be "Yes but only if we get 2 flags during his contract". If we do not get any flags in the next 8 years then my answer would/will be a no. We did not recruit Buddy to hover around mid table or watch another team receiving premiership medals.

My answer is not on the poll but my answer would be "Yes but only if we get 2 flags during his contract". If we do not get any flags in the next 8 years then my answer would/will be a no. We did not recruit Buddy to hover around mid table or watch another team receiving premiership medals.
I don't see what flags have to do with it. There are 18 teams trying to win a premiership, all of those 18 teams spend all of their salary cap in the attempt to do that goal. Regardless of if we had Franklin or not, we would be spending our entire salary cap for the next 8 years in the attempt to win a premiership. If another club doesn't win a flag in the next 8 years, their list management strategy is equally a failure.

I'm happy ,with him ,but it has got a bit of the Tony lockett's about it he kicks a fair percentage of our goals. I would like to see the goals shared around a bit. Since he has come into the side our mids don't seem to be kicking the same number of goals

Last edited:

Recruiting Franklin means that I don't need to have any Hawks in my fantasy team. Money well spent :thumbsu:

In all seriousness, I have high hopes that the bloke will help us nab at least one flag over the next couple of years and continue to boost us up to record membership numbers. He hasn't put a foot wrong (excluding his accelerator foot) since putting on the red and white. Would choose the Buddy contract over Boyd/Daisy/Danger etc any day of the week.

Money well spent. I'd also like to see at least 2 flags to see it as worthwhile, but even if that didn't eventuate, I don't think we could pin it on Buddy. His contribution has already put us in a position to win a flag, that was one golden opportunity misses, and it sure as hell wasn't Buddys fault.

The excitement he generates is well worth his contract alone, he does some amazing things on the footy field. Even if we don't win a flag, it'll be a hell of a ride. I can't see us not winning at least a flag with Buddy, and that would be the break even point for me. 2 flags would be a win, and any more than that would be beyond my wildest dreams.

Overall I give it a 3.5 out of 5. When he is on song he is a brilliant player and an on-field inspiration to his team mates. His 3 worst games for us were the 3 losses at the start of last year, the North game being the lowest point, but as he found his feet so did the entire team. On the negative side, there is much more media scrutiny on us than there has been in years gone by (in the Sydney media) because of his personal life, and with him and Tippett we can be quite predictable at times. I do think we need a couple more years at least to judge the deal.

You'd be a fool to not account for the off-field impact Buddy has brought. I think post 2012 premiership - our membership numbers still weren't extraordinary or at the full capacity of the Sydney market. If ultimate success couldn't maximise those numbers - what could?
Crowds were up in 2014, membership no.s are at a peak at this time of the year even though we were humiliated in the GF. By signing Buddy we've entrenched ourselves further into the Sydney market because GWS will come good eventually - and they might indeed erode our market (even if it seems ridiculous now) if they do. Buddy's excitement and marketablility is the perfect set up to ensure that doesn't happen for a while.

You'd be a fool to not account for the off-field impact Buddy has brought. I think post 2012 premiership - our membership numbers still weren't extraordinary or at the full capacity of the Sydney market. If ultimate success couldn't maximise those numbers - what could?
Crowds were up in 2014, membership no.s are at a peak at this time of the year even though we were humiliated in the GF. By signing Buddy we've entrenched ourselves further into the Sydney market because GWS will come good eventually - and they might indeed erode our market (even if it seems ridiculous now) if they do. Buddy's excitement and marketablility is the perfect set up to ensure that doesn't happen for a while.

Yep. Well said.

You can also make the argument that his recruitment (and the club's consequent rise in popularity and "big ticket" status in the fickle Sydney entertainment market) has helped expidate the ditching ANZ Stadium as a venue in favour of the bigger atmosphere, capacity-nearing SCG in the middle of the city.

Yep. Well said.

You can also make the argument that his recruitment (and the club's consequent rise in popularity and "big ticket" status in the fickle Sydney entertainment market) has helped expidate the ditching ANZ Stadium as a venue in favour of the bigger atmosphere, capacity-nearing SCG in the middle of the city.

So why are the AFL so pissed at us?

Hope you all don't mind me sharing my input. However many flags swans get whilst he is at the club isn't exactly 100% up to buddy. It's a bit unfair to demand he bring multiple flags when it's a team game.
That being said however I would like to think the swans will definitely be wanting to making finals and finishing high on the ladder in order to call his recruitment a success

Hope you all don't mind me sharing my input. However many flags swans get whilst he is at the club isn't exactly 100% up to buddy. It's a bit unfair to demand he bring multiple flags when it's a team game.
That being said however I would like to think the swans will definitely be wanting to making finals and finishing high on the ladder in order to call his recruitment a success

Good post mate agreed he is only one player but you couldnt of asked more of him in the GF he worked hard all day and finished with 4.1 with incredibly limited opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're completely right and it showed in our GF performance. Outside the field he has been awesome for us and on the field he has been just as awesome. But no point trading for a high profile player like him and not getting him to play finals though. Considering we are a high ladder side.

Why can't more opposition posters be civil and well thought out like you when they post on our board?

thats it, if we don't win a flag, it wont be because of buddy. he's a superstar, players like him break even at the very least on the big stage.

he will draw our team to the top of the ladder, its up to the team as a whole whether we take that opportunity. we have failed once, hopefully it doesn't happen again.

win or lose, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride. since the 05 season when i became a supporter, I've had the privilege of watching an underdog turn into the perennial finalist, had a bit of a dip 07 to 09, but since then I've seen this team go from strength to strength to turn into a feared and despised juggernaught. weve never been in a position where we've had such a dominant team and are probably likely to go a fair while before seeing a team like this again.

I'm just going to enjoy the spectacle while it lasts, amd hopefully we can snag a couple of flags along the way. 2015 will be our best opportunity to win the flag.the players will be hurting, they'll be out for blood and will have the ultimate driving force behind them.

strap yourselves.in for the greatest season we've ever seen

Buddy won us at least 4 games & my memory of those games is that he kicked some extraordinary goals at crunch moments.
He is a match winner & we already knew that.
As far as I'm concerned, the man delivered. If anything, I walked away from the GF feeling as though he was let down by the leaders of our team on the day that mattered most & I'm still very angry at a few of our players for that.
Namely the co captains.
Buddy thus far is a overwhelming success on & off the field.

You're completely right and it showed in our GF performance. Outside the field he has been awesome for us and on the field he has been just as awesome. But no point trading for a high profile player like him and not getting him to play finals though. Considering we are a high ladder side.

Why can't more opposition posters be civil and well thought out like you when they post on our board?
Lol well most of my family changed to Sydney supporters when we moved to Sydney so I've had to learn to live with you bastards :p
But GF is perfect example of why one person can't be the answer to picking up multiple flags. You guys seems to be fast learners though and I've tipped you to win it all this year

Lol well most of my family changed to Sydney supporters when we moved to Sydney so I've had to learn to live with you bastards :p
But GF is perfect example of why one person can't be the answer to picking up multiple flags. You guys seems to be fast learners though and I've tipped you to win it all this year
Welcome to our board you can post here anytime unless you want to talk about the 2006 grandfinal!

Yep. Well said.

So why are the AFL so pissed at us?

It is obvious.

That popularity and success was supposed to go to the GWS.

We took their shiny thing, embarrassingly for them totally legally and with dash, flair, amazing secrecy and aplomb and hence they deigned to make sure we cannot have any more nice things.

Peasants, know your place!

He's a freakshow. I wouldn't give him up for any other player in the competition.

Flags are very hard to win. That can't be the only measure.

He's the second best player (after Plugger) I've seen in a Swans jumper. In hindsight, I think his brilliance papered over some of the cracks.

You have to be off your head to not see the deal as a success. Forget the fact that without Buddy and Tippett being made of glass and we would be relying on the great Sam Reid and his misses from 30 out bang in front....but Budd has MADE our side profitable and very relevant in the NSW market. Flick over to the sports pages have you seen the Swans stories on the back page in the off season...EVER? Buddy does that.

Money well spent.

Buddy's recruitment upped interest from NSW as a whole, evidenced by the jump in membership numbers. As vonn said, even after the 2012 flag membership numbers didn't hit the heights they have in the last 12 months with Buddy on board. As far as onfield success, he won a number of games for us off his own boot last season and I dare say he'll do it again this year. He was one of our only decent players in the Grand Final, so you can't blame him for the loss.

That said, the flip side of the argument is that him coming to the club put noses out of joint and meant that when the heat was on, the solidarity we've come to expect from the Swans to rise to the challenge and fight back was missing. Whether that will dissolve and we'll get the same togetherness on the field this season as we've come to expect remains to be seen.

So I think the jury's still out as to the success on-field of his recruitment.

So I think the jury's still out as to the success on-field of his recruitment.

Without him we don't make the top 4 last year. He carried our sorry backsides for half the season with Reid doing nothing and Tippett with his usual 3 week- come 2 month injury. It shows how good he was on Brownlow night (and jeez I hate using that night as a guide)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back