List Mgmt. Sydney Swans List - One look and you see lots - Delve - The List evolves too

Remove this Banner Ad

The first 22 is very hard to crack into.
Looking at the team announced this week.

Least experienced by category.
Defenders
Campbell 25 games
Midfield
Stephens 30 games
Ruck
McLean 24 games
Forwards
McDonald 24 games

This is a team that has shown resilience in that injuries(touch wood) have not greatly affected the team.
Gould has not had a sniff in defence.
Cunningham cannot crack best 22 in defence and has resorted to the forwards to get a gig.
Draftee mids from 2 years ago are still on the bench.
Good to see McLean get a gig over Reid. Wht is up with Reid?

The team is very experienced. And every week it gets better.
A great time to be a Swans fan.

The first 22 is very hard to crack into.
Looking at the team announced this week.

Least experienced by category.
Defenders
Campbell 25 games
Midfield
Stephens 30 games
Ruck
McLean 24 games
Forwards
McDonald 24 games

This is a team that has shown resilience in that injuries(touch wood) have not greatly affected the team.
Gould has not had a sniff in defence.
Cunningham cannot crack best 22 in defence and has resorted to the forwards to get a gig.
Draftee mids from 2 years ago are still on the bench.
Good to see McLean get a gig over Reid. Wht is up with Reid?

The team is very experienced. And every week it gets better.
A great time to be a Swans fan.
Looking at list only 6/44 are from other clubs

Ladhams
Franklin
Clarke
Hickey
Francis
Paddy

Where as Last years top four in Cats, pies and dees have 10, 12 and 13 respectively

And 5 of the 6 are KP. what does that say about our sources of players too.

Additionally,

Ladhams - PA - trade
Buddy - Hawks - RFA
Clarke - NTH - Trade
Hickey - WCE - trade
Francis - Dons - Trade
Paddy - Stk - DFA

Looking back, Ball, Jolly, Mumford, Tippett all pop to mind as KPFs brought it

Additionally,

Ladhams - PA - trade
Buddy - Hawks - RFA
Clarke - NTH - Trade
Hickey - WCE - trade
Francis - Dons - Trade
Paddy - Stk - DFA

Looking back, Ball, Jolly, Mumford, Tippett all pop to mind as KPFs brought it
We have still not found a way to get KP players through our Academy system. I think this is an issue or an opportunity which ever way you look at it. I was very encouraged by Edwards in the preseason games. Lots of promise. We need more like him. I think this is a competition issue with other sports. Sydney is such a diverse sporting environment where AFL is peripheral. Tall players playing other sports as a matter of choice. That is just the lay of the land at the moment.

Looking at list only 6/44 are from other clubs

Ladhams
Franklin
Clarke
Hickey
Francis
Paddy

Where as Last years top four in Cats, pies and dees have 10, 12 and 13 respectively
I wish people who posted so regularly about our justified and occasionally forced trade inactivity with had the same energy when it came to posting about our drafting, which is absolutely elite.

I wish people who posted so regularly about our justified and occasionally forced trade inactivity with had the same energy when it came to posting about our drafting, which is absolutely elite.
I've said it before and now again.
We are a well run club from top to bottom.
IMO we went for the best available key defenders in Barrass and Logue but they had other ideas so we took the next best available in Francis. Paddy was a slice of luck but we did that well too.
We didn't have the draft capital for a top notch KPF or to trade one in. We'll keep trying but also keep working to get the best out of the guys we've got.
Because we play finals we don't get many bites at the top end draft talent but do well with what we get.
We seem to do well at developing individuals and the team.
We have reached the stage of delisting AFL standard (best 22 in some clubs) players and will most likely do that again this year.
Our professionalism is the envy of the league.
Bring it on!

It's because we continually lose the trade period.
I know this to be true because Barrett always gives us a D minus.

I've said it before and now again.
We are a well run club from top to bottom.
IMO we went for the best available key defenders in Barrass and Logue but they had other ideas so we took the next best available in Francis. Paddy was a slice of luck but we did that well too.
We didn't have the draft capital for a top notch KPF or to trade one in. We'll keep trying but also keep working to get the best out of the guys we've got.
Because we play finals we don't get many bites at the top end draft talent but do well with what we get.
We seem to do well at developing individuals and the team.
We have reached the stage of delisting AFL standard (best 22 in some clubs) players and will most likely do that again this year.
Our professionalism is the envy of the league.
Bring it on!
I look at the midfield and we are pretty young and pretty full
Best 22
Parker - signed to 2025
Mills - signed to 2028
Rowbottom - 2024
McInernery - 2026
Gulden - 2024
Warner - 2025
Stephens - unsigned
Depth
Clarke - unsigned
Sheldrick - unsigned
Roberts - 2025
Corey Warner 2025
Mitchell - 2024

That leaves those unsigned as
Clarke
Sheldrick
Stephens

We have Cleary in the Academy who looks every inch an AFL player. Who gives way?
Then there is Cabor who is tracking.

But out of Clarke, Sheldrick and Stephens who would you delist to bring in a Cleary?

Best 22
Parker - signed to 2025
Mills - signed to 2028
Rowbottom - 2024
McInernery - 2026
Gulden - 2024
Warner - 2025
Stephens - unsigned
Depth
Clarke - unsigned
Sheldrick - unsigned
Roberts - 2025
Corey Warner 2025
Mitchell - 2024

Clarke
Sheldrick
Stephens

We have Cleary in the Academy who looks every inch an AFL player. Who gives way?

But out of Clarke, Sheldrick and Stephens who would you delist to bring in a Cleary?
Might not be a case of delisting them. I suspect at least a few players currently outside of the 22 will end up seeking opportunities elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best 22
Parker - signed to 2025
Mills - signed to 2028
Rowbottom - 2024
McInernery - 2026
Gulden - 2024
Warner - 2025
Stephens - unsigned
Depth
Clarke - unsigned
Sheldrick - unsigned
Roberts - 2025
Corey Warner 2025
Mitchell - 2024

Clarke
Sheldrick
Stephens

Cleary is a strange one.

Watching him this year, looks a third rounder.

Cabor looks to be more suited to Hbf/Hff than mid.

Just IMO.and I would say Clarke would be the one to give way as more likely to have Sheldrick and Stephens be traded if they were to move due to lack of opportunity (Sheldrick) or pay (Stephens)

Cleary is a strange one.

Just IMO.and I would say Clarke would be the one to give way as more likely to have Sheldrick and Stephens be traded if they were to move due to lack of opportunity (Sheldrick) or pay (Stephens)
I cannot remember us being is this situation before where your midfield is pretty full.
Lots on long term contracts. Even some of those on the pine. It is unusual.

I cannot remember us being is this situation before where your midfield is pretty full.
Lots on long term contracts. Even some of those on the pine. It is unusual.

Neither.

Hoping we pick up Webster as a KPD for either team or VFL at the end of the year.

High hopes on Cochran and Loebel. Also Podmore-Taylor looks to be developing nicely too

Cleary is a strange one.

Stephens is definitely putting himself into a good position and has stuck out some difficult times. I reckon that he and the club will work it out.
More worried about Gus. Roberts is signed and seems as if he may have sneaked ahead. WCE really need a good insider and would be very keen to draw Gus home. We love him but does he love us. We need to play him IMO or perhaps he's gone.
Clarke is still handy depth but only at VFL level except for tagging. Not sure we have any big jobs until the Pies in May so Harry might get a run on. In danger.
Hard to say how the younger brigade are travelling.

And 5 of the 6 are KP. what does that say about our sources of players too.

It's a good point. Looks like Kinnear mostly doesn't believe in drafting KPPs. It would seem he thinks: KPPs take too long to develop, and there is too much risk that they won't repay the large investment required. Better to cough up at the trade table for a relatively sure thing (or at least an experienced type who comes cheap, like Francis).

It's a good point. Looks like Kinnear mostly doesn't believe in drafting KPPs. It would seem he thinks: KPPs take too long to develop, and there is too much risk that they won't repay the large investment required. Better to cough up at the trade table for a relatively sure thing (or at least an experienced type who comes cheap, like Francis).

Hmmn. I really do not see Francis becoming best 22. For me he was an odd choice for depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back