The Bye Week(s)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lee

Senior List
Sep 19, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As round 15 comes to an end, so does the bye rounds for 2023, so I thought i'd ask the question,
Is splitting the bye rounds over 4 weekends too much?

Clubs coming off the bye are currently 0-7 against clubs against sides who played the week before.

As round 15 comes to an end, so does the bye rounds for 2023, so I thought i'd ask the question,
Is splitting the bye rounds over 4 weekends too much?

Clubs coming off the bye are currently 0-7 against clubs against sides who played the week before.
It’s ******* s**t. A month of fewer games per round and the majority of the matchups are rubbish games. Better off having one split round or a week off altogether.

Interesting it is usually seen the team coming off the bye should have the fresher legs and finish stronger. The flip side is they can typically start slow.

Now almost half the teams who lost off the bye started fast with Geelong kicking 7 of thee first 10 goals. But all these teams finished poorly.

The other thing is if playing off the bye is so bad why is it such a positive come Prelim Final weekend.

With 0-6 win-loss record this year for Teams that coming off the BYE week playing Teams that played the week before, is it feasible to have Teams having the Bye week, play each other the next week. It would take away any perceived advantage/disadvantage.

With 0-6 win-loss record this year for Teams that coming off the BYE week playing Teams that played the week before, is it feasible to have Teams having the Bye week, play each other the next week. It would take away any perceived advantage/disadvantage.

Agree with that, although going to be hard to facilitate that once Tasmania enter the comp.

Bye round could arguably be abolished once Tassie comes in (until they bring in a 20th team)

Until Tassie come in, I just think they should let have every team have the week off after round 12.

I am sure we can all cope without one week of any AFL footy during the season

Even before this years version of the stupid bye rounds, from memory, I think only Hawthorn and Adelaide had a positive win loss record for games played following a bye in the h&a rounds.

I had compiled the records since the byes were introduced, due to Geelong being pathetic at them. Outside of the new comers in GC and GWS, Geelong had the worst record, post bye in the league. I haven't updated them for a couple of year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 weeks was too long. Really kills the whole season. Agree now we should just have one week off for everyone with no football.
It was done this year to get 8 games on the Kings Birthday weekend.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

Players actually get a mini holiday when their team is on the bye don't they? As in a few days off, mandated in the CBA?

It's no wonder they're flat when coming back from that. Even if half of them work their asses off in that break, that's still half your team that were in holiday mode.

Could do state of origin on that week off
Pretty much negates the whole point of the bye for the players though.

Id rather a week off and run an u18 carnival with the similar level of coverage of a normal round. See the best kids competing before the draft. (I know games have been available on the AFL app recently)

Pretty much negates the whole point of the bye for the players though.

Id rather a week off and run an u18 carnival with the similar level of coverage of a normal round. See the best kids competing before the draft. (I know games have been available on the AFL app recently)
The elite don’t get the week off but everyone else does

100% the u18 carnival has been on at the same time anyway, they should just make the bye max 2 weeks (rather 1), and then have the U18 carnival on that week, have it on foxtel, even give away free tickets. Channel 7 can show multiple VFL games as well.

I like the idea of a competition wide bye at the end of round 12 or at the end of the King's Birthday weekend. The only issue is how do you fill that weekend with no games at AFL level.

If they have to keep the byes spread across 3-4 weeks, I'd do away with Thursday night games over those few weeks as having 4 games spread across Saturday and Sunday puts a real dampener on the weekend.

I like the idea of a competition wide bye at the end of round 12 or at the end of the King's Birthday weekend. The only issue is how do you fill that weekend with no games at AFL level.

If they have to keep the byes spread across 3-4 weeks, I'd do away with Thursday night games over those few weeks as having 4 games spread across Saturday and Sunday puts a real dampener on the weekend.

Don’t mind what Brad Scott just said, elevate state leagues for a weekend.

You could make a thing of it. Get cameras and commentators out to suburban grounds and get people out to these games like a mini festival. Raise money for clubs etc.

An idea I saw posted on another thread was scrap the bye but each player has to miss at least one game per season would make for interesting player management

Exactly.

You have a squad of 40+ players? No reason players need to play every game. Rest your players whenever the team wants throughout the season.

If anything will make better contests because top teams will rest best players against lower teams, resulting in closer games.

Yeah teams coming off the bye should play teams also coming off a bye next year
This would be easy if they just split one round over 2 weekends. 4 & 5 games on each and the rematches for the post bye games are from the same group.

Much like playing every one once before double up games. It’s too logical for the AFL to implement.

Just have the bye on one weekend. The sky won't fall, NRL won't all of a sudden overtake the AFL because of one weekend without footy. Really hasn't felt like we're in season, for the past month.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back