Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke to someone recently whose stand was that we are actually tampering with history and not allowing past indescretions to teach us today when we sanitize things retrospectively. This of course suits my purpose as far as loving my club's song goes. Just because people aren't aware of historic ugliness doesn't mean it needs stay that way though.
That's where I begin to question my own logic, too.

I'm not the one this is supposed to be defending, and I have an affinity for the club song; ergo, I don't know whether my logic is tainted by that affinity.

If Hagan can provide a reasonable answer for why this needs to be done, it's worth considering at least. It's when the answer to that question is in pursuit of whitewashing history that my back gets raised.

From the article: “The lyrics to the original song were changed 80 years ago to remove the racial origins, which is around the time the club first penned its lyrics to the theme.”

This is the song well known at the time when the club song was written (performed by Bing Crosby & Mary Martin) :

She's my lady love
she is my dove
my baby love
She's no girl
for sittin' down to dream
she's the only Queen
laguna knows
I know she likes me
I know she likes me
because she said so
she is my lily of laguna
she is my lily and my Rose
She's my lady love
she is my dove
my baby love
etc

This is the song (lyrics) our club song was based on - not the racist lyrics in the 18 hundreds. It was very popular with that generation. I have to question the motivation of people looking so hard to find things to get offended by.

From the article: “The lyrics to the original song were changed 80 years ago to remove the racial origins, which is around the time the club first penned its lyrics to the theme.”

This is the song well known at the time when the club song was written (performed by Bing Crosby & Mary Martin) :

She's my lady love
she is my dove
my baby love
She's no girl
for sittin' down to dream
she's the only Queen
laguna knows
I know she likes me
I know she likes me
because she said so
she is my lily of laguna
she is my lily and my Rose
She's my lady love
she is my dove
my baby love
etc

This is the song (lyrics) our club song was based on - not the racist lyrics in the 18 hundreds. It was very popular with that generation. I have to question the motivation of people looking so hard to find things to get offended by.
That commentary helps no-one and only serves to lessen the helpful remainder of your post. If you truly think someone who advocates for the dignity and respect of others (regardless of the contentious process) is "looking so hard to find things to get offended by" I don't know what to tell you.

That commentary helps no-one and only serves to lessen the helpful remainder of your post. If you truly think someone who advocates for the dignity and respect of others (regardless of the contentious process) is "looking so hard to find things to get offended by" I don't know what to tell you.

People who use the club song as an example of racism are NOT "advocates for the dignity and respect of others" but people who are looking for headlines and to feed their egos. There are real issues to be addressed and this is not one. I rather listen to people who confront real racism like Eddie Betts and support people who work with very serious problems in the indigenous community.

People who use the club song as an example of racism are NOT "advocates for the dignity and respect of others" but people who are looking for headlines and to feed their egos. There are real issues to be addressed and this is not one. I rather listen to people who confront real racism like Eddie Betts and support people who work with very serious problems in the indigenous community.
So the world started the day you were born. Handy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What concerns me are the bigger issues that require attention like nutella still using excessive child labor just don't get attention but this does.
What are you doing about it other than using it to minimise issues you have little knowledge of?

What are you doing about it other than using it to minimise issues you have little knowledge of?

How do you know what his knowledge of these issues is? Many of your replies have a tendency to bully people.

I have Jewish family members and my dad worked in the resistance in occupied Europe fighting those trying to eliminate them. I have worked directly with Inuit people who have direct and historical issues to deal with. I dare to claim that I have a greater understanding of the complex historical issues of racism. One thing I can tell you from my own experience is that bringing up an 18 hundreds lyrics or for that case a brand name of a cheese (named after the inventor), does not help one indigenous person in Australia.

More than you know and more than you, most likely. Also my knowledge of this is fine, I suppose you're assuming I'm a white man?
I've got periods of volunteer work in remote indigenous communities and work in local outreach programs now. If you actually truly want details on the work I'm still doing then let me know and I can pm the some of the programs. Good to see you having a crack, as always.

you’re better than this thy ... it’s not advocating.. it’s nit picking to cause a headline and draw attention to his own personal causes which happens to be a noble cause i might add however there are no words in our song that are racist ... in fact the original tune was changed to not be racist .... nobody would ever have known.... now people know and they will now think “racism” when they here our club song.... the guy is a low life and has put the club in a corner with this PC bullshit .... it’s a dogs act.

if I was the club I’d rebut with the facts and dig my heels in but mark my words we’ll be gotten here .... it’s a disgrace and political correctness has gone too far

There was a poll on Herald Sun where they asked if our theme song was in any way racist and 96% said no. The media are so out of touch with what the general public think. I don't even know why we are having this discussion and giving airtime to opinions held by a tiny percentage of the population, who I can guarantee aren't footy fans by the way. We ain't changing our song, its the most recognisable and famous song in the AFL. Its been sung more times on grand final day at the MCG than any. Our song is represents the bare fabric of our footy club. It represents the 16 premierships. All the champion players we've had and most importantly all the generations of blues die hards that have gone every week to the Princes Park, the MCG, Etihad or anywhere in Australia to watch our great footy club. It was once said that nothing feels like a Saturday Arvo more than hearing the Carlton fans belt out "da dada dadaaaaa" after a big win.

If we actually do alter our song in anyway, I will never buy a membership of Carlton again coz our song is the soul of Carlton Footy Club.
And finally.....
COME ON BLUES, LETS GIVE IT TO GOLDCOAST TONIGHT SO WE CAN BELT OUT OUR SONG LOUD AND PROUD!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back