The Chris Judd 50 metre penalty was 100% correct

Remove this Banner Ad

Soft.

But if Judd hadn't acted like a douchbag the umpire wouldn't have been able to pick it.

This. Dont give him a reason to blow his whistle and he wont. Juddy was frustrated by his game tonight and couldnt let it go.

Shouldnt of been paid... it was, thats umpires for you.

There were some bad decisions for Carlton but this was not one of them. It just seems a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you dont approach.

In every single sport in planet earth. If you dont listen to the umpire your penalised for it. Why shouldnt it be the same in the AFL? Thats the only question you need to answer to change my mind

Thought it was soft, but typical of the evening.

I wouldn’t even call it over umpiring as they were very selective when they got out the whistle.

Couldn’t believe when Mitch Robinson was picked up and dumped without even taking possession, right in front of the umpire, and nothing.

Oh, and I thought the way the umpire ran with him specifically to continue with his berating of him was equally poor.

having just seen it for the first time.. the umpire can be heard saying "there's no need"

that would suggest that it was for the contact..

extremely soft 50.

Not only that but he replicated Judd's actions. It was a soft 50 and even softer when there was only two goals in the game but it wasn't the reason Carlton lost.

Definitely. I think his body language was even worse than his performance overall.

But I don't think the punishment fit the crime so to speak.

Hell no, but commiting the crime for a third time draws a bigger punishment. That is the area everyone ignores. If I commit vandalism three times does the penalty each time stay the same? No, the more times you do it and dont learn the worse the punishment gets

Same rule applies here. Judd didnt get it for the one bump. He got it for the three he gave and not walking away when he had the chance.

The actual hit is irrelevant to the decision really. I guarantee you if another Carlton player goes over and hits Priddis like that its not a 50. The only reason it is is because Judd was told to stop and he didnt LISTEN.

People need to understand the definition of the free kick before they badmouth it. Understand the rules first guys

Every stoppage there is a bit of physical banter. None of it is needed. So should the umps start paying frees for them all the time as well? To be consistent they'd need to.

Judd's jab had no effect on the play whatsoever.

Judd walks away the first time and it would have been a non-issue

Instead he ignored the ump and went back and threw an elbow (albeit soft) and gifted the ump a reason to turn an easy shot at goal into a soda

Umpires can't make up s**t to give 50s for; irrelevant whether or not they liked Judd elbowing him - it wasn't a 50.

Umps just need to pull their heads in and grow up a bit.

Yup, umpiring has been s**t all year competiton wide, needs to be looked at.

Umpires can't make up s**t to give 50s for; irrelevant whether or not they liked Judd elbowing him - it wasn't a 50.

Umps just need to pull their heads in and grow up a bit.

It is actually in this seasons DVD sent out. That 50m penalties will be handed out after warnings. How the hell was it just made up when they placed it on a DVD and made it a directive to all AFL players?

The ump may have told him to cool it but he wasn't the one inciting the incident therefore is shouldn't have been 50. Priddis was lipping him and judd responded, he didn't do anything over the top so i don't see why it should be 50. The ump needs to use some common sense in these situations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought it was soft, but typical of the evening.

I wouldn’t even call it over umpiring as they were very selective when they got out the whistle.

Couldn’t believe when Mitch Robinson was picked up and dumped without even taking possession, right in front of the umpire, and nothing.

Oh, and I thought the way the umpire ran with him specifically to continue with his berating of him was equally poor.

Yup an umpire telling a player why he paid what he did (however wrongly) and telling him to settle down never seen it happen before just terrible. :rolleyes:

If the ump had walked away and not said a thing you would have a go at him for that.

That was such a disgrace, in the saints v blues game this year the saints came out breathing fire and were doing those elbow/forearm hits all over the shop...it happens 100 times a match probably, yet this one is a 50....if thats a free kick or 50 then it shouldnt matter what the ump says - if they see it then it should be paid a free. It was a childish free from the ump trying to exert control on the game. To defend that as a 50 is beyond a joke. Where in the rules does it say you can do X actions in the game but only when the ump has not said anything about doing X.

The ump may have told him to cool it but he wasn't the one inciting the incident therefore is shouldn't have been 50. Priddis was lipping him and judd responded, he didn't do anything over the top so i don't see why it should be 50. The ump needs to use some common sense in these situations.

Judd had already thrown one jumper punch prior to the elbow though, he threw an elbow after and got pinged for it

Priddis sucked him in brilliantly and Judd ignored the umps warning and had a brain fart and threw an elbow

Are we all just going to ignore the fact that Judd smacked Priddis in the face no less than twenty seconds earlier? Should have been fifty for that anyway. I noticed it was conveniently cut out of the footage on the AFL website.

That was such a disgrace, in the saints v blues game this year the saints came out breathing fire and were doing those elbow/forearm hits all over the shop...it happens 100 times a match probably, yet this one is a 50....if thats a free kick or 50 then it shouldnt matter what the ump says - if they see it then it should be paid a free. It was a childish free from the ump trying to exert control on the game. To defend that as a 50 is beyond a joke. Where in the rules does it say you can do X actions in the game but only when the ump has not said anything about doing X.

In the DVD that's sent to every club, media outlet and umpiring organisation at the start of the year. I've umpired 2 under 14s games this year, and I have a copy. They're not that hard to track down. Good luck in your quest.

Yup an umpire telling a player why he paid what he did (however wrongly) and telling him to settle down never seen it happen before just terrible. :rolleyes:

If the ump had walked away and not said a thing you would have a go at him for that.

He had already done that.

Do we not have threads week in week out about umpires failing to do this, failing to blow the whistle early on and just throw the ball up etc. Do you want them to control the game or let it flow? People seem to change there mind on this between each situation of play. We want them to interfere with the pack scrums and throw the ball up but we dont want them to control the rest of the game?

To defend that as a 50 is beyond a joke. Where in the rules does it say you can do X actions in the game but only when the ump has not said anything about doing X.

Embers answered it 2 posts above you

It is actually in this seasons DVD sent out. That 50m penalties will be handed out after warnings. How the hell was it just made up when they placed it on a DVD and made it a directive to all AFL players?

I will answer your question.

The umpires are out there to officiate the game in conjunction to the rules provided.

There are no rules stating that a player must listen to an umpire.

The umpires job is to officiate the game based on actions which breach a law/rule.

What Judd did, breached no rules. He pushed someone in the arm with his forearm. There was no abuse towards an umpire, no high contact, not even a fingernail in the back.

The umpire decided to use his power and make an issue of something that was not. He then decided to continue to be a bighead and follow Judd down the field and continue to tell him off and tell him what he should be doing. Umpire the game and don't worry about players behaviour and actions which do not breach any laws of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back