Umpiring 50m penalty on Brent.....I mean Xavier

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
This deserves its own thread just for the sheer comedy of it.

I don't know if the mics would have picked it up, but I assume O'Halloran rightfully asked the umpire as he was running back "Who the * is Brent?"

No doubt the AFL will come out tomorrow and say that Brent is just umpire slang for player and of course he knew who he was talking to.

Gets confused with another GWS player and pings him 50.

Excellent umpiring......
I’m sure the AFL will say that the players should know that names are a construct, and that players should intrinsically know that they are actually all just Brent’s.

Was very funny but who else would the umpire have been talking to?

Was very funny but who else would the umpire have been talking to?

There is a player on the other side of the contest, I think it's Lachie Ash. It's not out of the realms of possibility that O'Halloran thought that Brent Daniels was that guy and the ump was referring to him. It would have been funnier if it was actually Brent Daniels.

Why's he asking him to come back 2 metres anyway? He basically lands and plants his feet where the mark was taken, walks back a metre, then umpire wants him back a further 2 metres.

Umpires need to stop using first names for players and go back to calling the team. If he had said "GWS BACK 2 METRES" 3 times and no response then the 50m penalty absolutely applies.

How is Xavier meant to know who the umpire was talking to. Maybe Brent was encroaching on the mark behind him. Its not the job of the player to guess who the umpire is talking to. They ping 50m penalties when that happens too - such as returning the ball to the wrong player after a free kick is called.

Not sure it’s that bad, all these “but it could have been Brent Daniels around him somewhere”!! Comments are taking the piss.

If you’re on the mark and the umpire says “come back 2 meters”, have a think about it. I have NEVER heard the umpire say “come back 2 meters” in a general play kick to someone in the protected area. They say “clear the area” or similar. The only times they say an exact meters is on the mark and for snap shots at goal.

He was clearly talking to O’Halloran.

It’s a quick glance to the ump to check “who, me?” If any confusion.

Not sure it’s that bad, all these “but it could have been Brent Daniels around him somewhere”!! Comments are taking the piss.

If you’re on the mark and the umpire says “come back 2 meters”, have a think about it. I have NEVER heard the umpire say “come back 2 meters” in a general play kick to someone in the protected area. They say “clear the area” or similar. The only times they say an exact meters is on the mark and for snap shots at goal.

He was clearly talking to O’Halloran.

It’s a quick glance to the ump to check “who, me?” If any confusion.

If the umpire just says "come back 2 meters" then that's fair enough.

However as soon as you put another name on the call, your brain switches off and doesn't process it the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back